Important Survey - Please Participate ×

dexamethasone

[kl...]

Hi I went to the neurologist today and she prescribed me dexamethasone to help with migraines. I see so many have had bad reactions and believe the Ashton Manual talks about steroids. Has anyone had any benefit from them? I’m thinking it’s probably best to avoid the steroid altogether. Would love to hear feedback on any good or bad experience with steroids. Thanks!

Yeah steroids are definitely something to be wary of. It's one of the things that people seem to react badly to, and setbacks aren't unheard of. There's at least one member here that got put on benzos due to steroids.

Unfortunately it's a case of you don't know how you'll react until you try. I was recently prescribed a steroid cream, I used a tiny bit as a test and had an uptick in symptoms so decided against it. 

Corticosteroids (All Forms)

Glucocorticoids exert an opposing rapid regulation of glutamate and GABA synaptic input.

https://www.benzoinfo.com/medications-and-supplements/

• Love 1

I have a DSD/I (CAH) that required dexamethasone for many years. I was weaned off of it, because my adrenal output had improved considerable. My endo weaned me off. So, I was off completely during this benzo taper journey. I was glad I was, as we are dealing with what Ashton found were adrenaline surges. Best to not use them unless they are medically necessary for an adrenal issue, which is my case. I'm now only supposed to take them for things like having surgery, or if I've been severally injured. If I'm ever in the ER, I ask them to run tests, I even know what. But once I tell them I have CAH (which is a rare disorder), they know. I worried about the stress of tapering, but routine lab work showed my adrenal function and output are fine. I really didn't want to throw corticosteroids in the mix.  

• 2 weeks later...

@[kl...] Ugh! The dread Dex. I have been on Dex for over a year now. I get 20 mg once a week. The Dex definitely has some side effects I don't like, but I've been tapering successfully. 

Re: the claim that ‘Glucocorticoids exert an opposing rapid regulation of glutamate and GABA synaptic input.’ ….

Only one piece of evidence was given to support this claim — an animal study conducted over 14 years ago (see link below). The researchers took hypothalamic slices from the brains of decapitated rats.  They found that dexamethasone facilitated the release of GABA from the hypothalamic slices but inhibited the release of glutamate.  Needless to say, generalizing the results of this animal study to human use of corticosteroids would be inappropriate.

Link:

Glucocorticoids Regulate Glutamate and GABA Synapse-Specific Retrograde Transmission via Divergent Nongenomic Signaling Pathways - 2009
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2775558/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, [[L...] said:

Re: the claim that ‘Glucocorticoids exert an opposing rapid regulation of glutamate and GABA synaptic input.’ ….

Only one piece of evidence was given to support this claim — an animal study conducted over 14 years ago (see link below). The researchers took hypothalamic slices from the brains of decapitated rats.  They found that dexamethasone facilitated the release of GABA from the hypothalamic slices but inhibited the release of glutamate.  Needless to say, generalizing the results of this animal study to human use of corticosteroids would be inappropriate.

Link:

Glucocorticoids Regulate Glutamate and GABA Synapse-Specific Retrograde Transmission via Divergent Nongenomic Signaling Pathways - 2009
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2775558/

Good information, thanks. 

• Like 1