Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Open Group  ·  449 members  ·  Rules

Long Haulers

Intrusive thoughts anyone?

[le...]

Has anyone on here had intrusive thoughts? Mine only been bad last 3 years since trying the anti depressants. Haven’t helped myself by letting my toxic family get to me. If you had them and went away did they go of own accord. I know Jennifer Leigh said she had them really bad and eventually just went. They seem less common than the physical symptoms, which I know can be just as bad.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, [[l...] said:

Has anyone on here had intrusive thoughts? Mine only been bad last 3 years since trying the anti depressants. Haven’t helped myself by letting my toxic family get to me. If you had them and went away did they go of own accord. I know Jennifer Leigh said she had them really bad and eventually just went. They seem less common than the physical symptoms, which I know can be just as bad.

Hey there!  Sorry you are struggling.  Did the reinstatement of Zopiclone help at all?  

• Like 1

Only been taking it a couple days def helps with sleep. Hopefully the therapy will help as my sister put my Mum’s house on market about 6 weeks ago racked up symptoms as was cheated out huge amount money. Def going do proper taper once I’m stable. How are you doing?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, [[l...] said:

Only been taking it a couple days def helps with sleep. Hopefully the therapy will help as my sister put my Mum’s house on market about 6 weeks ago racked up symptoms as was cheated out huge amount money. Def going do proper taper once I’m stable. How are you doing?

I am doing okay!   Having some good days interspersed with some not so good days.   I am beginning to see a little spark of light at the end of the tunnel.  

I know these emotional issues with your family are tough; therapy should help you navigate these relationships, and the feelings that come with them.   It is traumatic to be estranged from your family.   I wish you were not having to go through this, but you will come out stronger and healthier on the other side.   Glad to hear you are getting better sleep.   

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, [[d...] said:

I am doing okay!   Having some good days interspersed with some not so good days.   I am beginning to see a little spark of light at the end of the tunnel.  

I know these emotional issues with your family are tough; therapy should help you navigate these relationships, and the feelings that come with them.   It is traumatic to be estranged from your family.   I wish you were not having to go through this, but you will come out stronger and healthier on the other side.   Glad to hear you are getting better sleep.   

19 minutes ago, [[d...] said:

Glad you are doing better. Yes will just take time, years of being ignored by my mother takes time get over. Therapist is great always thought I was strong person, had to be coz how she was, but as she said sometimes you get burnout by always having be strong. Hopefully zop will help then I can do a proper taper hopefully come out other side😄

• Like 1

I would say that post benzo withdrawal my brain is way more tending towards OCD type thinking in that it is more likely to have a negative thought become "stuck" and my mind just keeps going over and over it.

I suppose that there was some tendency there before the drugs, but not so bad and maybe almost everyone has that to a certain extent. But on the way down and then post taper, if any negative thought popped into my head it became very difficult to chase it out.

Of course, it's always a negative thought. No one has positive thoughts that keep playing over and over and if they did they wouldn't complain about it. :-\

Anyhow, that's my version of intrusive thoughts.

Glad to see you leann! BTW - careful with the zopiclone. I think that one may be what did me the most damage. Short acting highly selective benzos and z-drugs may be the most problematic in my opinion. 

• Like 2

It was anti depressants that did the damage with me, had really bad reaction to them. I will take on board what you said. Intend to taper off it as soon as I am more stable. Think mine is mixture withdrawal and emotional PTSD. Think was being made to CT triggered everything. I was fine on it but know lot people have problems on it. Have no intention staying on any longer than have to, not ideal but just not coping at moment. But agree best not to take any meds, which is definitely my long term aim

• Like 1

Hi leann,

Good on you for making the decision to reinstate in combination with therapy.  I know you weighed on the decision for such a long time.

Hopefully you will achieve your goal of getting stable and then being able to taper. I'm sure you will have a much better result doing things this way :thumbsup:

I have intrusive thoughts. I have had PTSD for many years (from childhood issues). I was diagnosed with it around 10 years ago, medicated and saw a Psychologist. We/I did lots of Cognitive Behaviour Therapy and I was/am still on medication for it (Seroquel).

The intrusive thoughts do go.

After 3 years I was applying for my Heavy Vehicle Licence and had to see a Psychiatrist for that and he said I was in remission. That lasted until December last year (I've only realised this recently though).

So for me at  the moment they are back, from the time I wake up, they are there rolling around disturbing my peace. I've actually had to start the seroquel during the day to shut them out but as soon as it wears off, they are back. Sometimes they also break through as well.

I just try and tell them "not now"  I will say this out loud when I'm on my own and make some time to sit with them when I am ready, so that they do not impact on my day too much.

Staying distracted is key for me,  I have lots of hobbies (probably too many ;)), some days I can't focus on one hobby so I'll switch to another.

Getting really lost in what I am doing helps. Today has been one of those days, I've really tried to focus on getting some admin things done and they've been gone for a bit. Hopefully they wont take that as an invitation :2funny:

Anyway, have a good day :balloon:

Thanks Caspar, been out action had really bad stomach bug, been very sick , not slept in a week, barely eat. Yes I don’t intend staying on zopiclone long term will definitely taper. Had run out but got some today, have been eating bit today, with emotional stress from family and this bug and not sleeping been unbearable. Have tried various AD’s plus did briefly try me on seroquel, but all made symptoms worse. I never had the thoughts before trying the AD’s, The therapist is very good not being a short term fix, as had years emotional abuse from my mother. Glad you found something to help. Get no help from NHS, just relieved can afford to pay for therapy, 16 week waiting list on NHS. Not sure about new format. Really miss everyone on 12-24 Group.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, [[d...] said:

Hey leann!  So sorry you have had a stomach bug.  That is not fun!!!   Glad you seem to be on the mend.   

• Like 1

Thanks, yes not been pleasant barely eaten in a week, and ran out zopiclone so haven’t been sleeping. Hoping if get couple nights sleep will improve. Have eaten little today.

• Like 1

Thanks guys such a roller coaster. Yesterday not too bad, today just can’t stop crying. Ever since had flu jab last year the intrusive thoughts been unbearable. Keep getting reminders for it this year they can stuff it😩

Hi Leann,

I hope you've had a better couple of days.

I understand the crying, today was the first day in I don't know how long, where I woke up and didn't cry. Actually had a good morning too but now I'm here and crying again :2funny::cry: Oh well.

Oh, I'm not having another jab, I had the first two but I won't have anymore, it restricts where I can work though, hopefully that will change too.