Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Fish Oil Supplements

[An...]

Does anyone here take this? I am talking about for general health reasons and nothing related to benzos or benzowithdrawal. I eat mostly a whole-food plant-based diet with a little chicken or fish and supplement with B12. Oils, processed foods, sugar, and refined carbs have been mostly eliminated from my diet. My scalp is dry. My skin is dry and itches. This is why I am asking about the fish oil. I wonder if it might help alleviate the things I just mentioned. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, [[A...] said:

Does anyone here take this? I am talking about for general health reasons and nothing related to benzos or benzowithdrawal. I eat mostly a whole-food plant-based diet with a little chicken or fish and supplement with B12. Oils, processed foods, sugar, and refined carbs have been mostly eliminated from my diet. My scalp is dry. My skin is dry and itches. This is why I am asking about the fish oil. I wonder if it might help alleviate the things I just mentioned. 

I take fish oil. 12 g pr day. I also eat pasturaised organic eggs which contain 50% more ALA and 50% less omega 6. The human body can convert ALA to DHA and EPA, but only if the ratio of omega 3 to 6 is optimal, since omega 3 and 6 compete for the same pathway in the human body. I found that my skin problems cleared up, when I increased my omega 3 intake. That might apply to your skin problems aswell, and it might not. I would at least give it a try for a couple of months. All the best to you.

• Like 2

I couldn't do fish oil. I tried Nordic Naturals, and it made me feel like I was burning on the inside. I gave up. It's not for everyone, but if it works for you, it may be of great benefit. otherwise, get your Omega 3s from food sources.

On 7/22/2023 at 2:51 PM, [[A...] said:

I take Fish Oil and have for many years, my Doctor suggested it, because of Heart issues in my Family. I now eat more plant based foods and less meat, noticed my hair and nails went haywire. Not sure if the Fish Oil is helping my heart, So for my dry and brittle hair I read that using good Apple cider vinegar helps, so far my hair is better, so maybe you could use that for your scalp. I use 2tablespoons in 16ozs of warm water as a rinse for my hair. Hope this helps.

I also take fish oil and have for years. I'm a vegan too, if that's important. I used to take Nordic Naturals, but my doc and I agreed that the extra expense wasn't worth the benefits. I have no s/x like "fish burps" from what I take. So far my hair and skin are okay . . . maybe the fish oil is helping them, too? If they start to get dry, I will take more.

Hope this helps.

:love:

Katz

Hi there! It's great to hear that you're mindful of your diet and health. Fish oil supplements can indeed be beneficial for skin and scalp health due to their omega-3 fatty acids. They might help with dryness and itching. If you're considering fish oil, it's best to consult a healthcare professional or a pharmacist at your local pharmacy or at online Canadian Pharmacy. They can guide you on the right dosage and ensure there are no interactions with any other medications you may be taking. Take care of yourself!

I really wanted to take fish oil supplements, but every time I try, I get intense anxiety (same with castor oil).    So I did a Google search and found that they can increase anxiety and depression in some people.  I'll leave a link, but hopefully no one else here experiences the bad side effects. 

Fish Oil Causing Depression or Anxiety? Consider Acetylcholine. - Mental Health Daily

On 7/28/2023 at 9:25 PM, [[o...] said:

I also take fish oil and have for years. I'm a vegan too, if that's important. I used to take Nordic Naturals, but my doc and I agreed that the extra expense wasn't worth the benefits. I have no s/x like "fish burps" from what I take. So far my hair and skin are okay . . . maybe the fish oil is helping them, too? If they start to get dry, I will take more.

Hope this helps.

:love:

Katz

Thanks Katz. I am also taking the Nordic Naturals. I think you are right about the extra expense. Nice to meet another vegan. Are you a whole-food plant-based vegan Katz? What do you mostly eat?

For those not tolerating fish oil due to the fishy burps, try krill oil. I took fish oil for many years, but had to stop when I started tapering. I switched to krill oil, and haven't gone back. Krill softgels are smaller, and most have vanilla flavoring. It's actually cheaper to buy the extra-strength krill oil from eBay. I buy a bottle of 180 ct. Makers Mark, at one a day, it lasts 6 months. My my late mother's cardiologist switched her from fish oil to krill many years ago, said they are actually better. I can tolerate them far better than the fish oil. 

I didn't know vegans use fish oil, I've always seen flaxseed oil recommended to vegans, as they don't usually consume or use any animal products, most avoid honey even. I know some vegans/vegetarians aren't so strict about that though. 

My diet is mostly Mediterranean. I eat seafood/fish at least twice a week, chicken, sometimes turkey, lamb and bison a few times a month. Otherwise I eat vegetables and fruits, salads, and only whole grain pastas, rice and cereals. I limit added sugar, drink mostly water, use low-fat milk, hope to try tea and coffee soon. And legumes, pulses, dried beans. I have glass cannisters lined up filled with various dried peas and beans. Carb portions are consistent with my diet, small portions. I've been eating like this for many years. Bake my own breads, cakes and cookies, all whole grain. That way I can control the other ingredients. And extra virgin olive oil. EVOO is great in baked goods. Healthiest oil out there. Mine is also cold-pressed.   

• Like 1

Dry flaky skin and scalp can be caused by dietary issues. You actually need a certain amount of fats and oils to maintain proper health - particularly brain health. So you might what to investigate whether eliminating all fats and oils is a good idea.

That said, dry skin and scalp can be caused by other things. Simply getting older one tends to have more issues with dry skin.

To answer your question directly - I take fish oil every day and do find that it improves dry skin and even my somewhat dry eyes.