Can I taper faster ?

[Ca...]

Hi all

I’ve been taking Diazepam for 20 years , I was prescribed 10mg by my Doctor for severe anxiety. I’ve gone up and back down again over the years . It has been a turbulent time with extremely unwell close family members and me not being able to cope emotionally.

I’ve tapered back down and started decreasing several times.

This past few years I stupidly added Clonazepam, but managed to successfully get back onto Diazepam only . I lost my Mom this year which has been devastating.

I’ve now developed some serious health issues, due to lack of self care and focusing on caring for others, which may need surgery,

I’d increased the diazepam dose to 20mg and had already started dropping 1mg per week.

Do you think it’s okay to try dropping 2mg weekly if i can battle through?

Im afraid I’ll have to tell the anaesthetist how much I’ve been taking and my doctor will stop prescribing altogether.

It’s a bad situation all around with all this emotional loss and worrying about my health .

All advise welcome.

I’m so sorry you lost your Mom, and I hope your health issues can be resolved, you don’t need all of this on top of your benzo challenges. 

You can drop by 2 mgs a week but should you?  Will this leave you incapacitated?  I’m sure many people on Valium undergo surgery, is there a reason you’re fearful your doctor won’t support you?  I hate to see you go through the pain of a rapid taper if it can be avoided by communicating with your doctor.