Where can I get advice about Ambien Withdrawal/Valium Reinstatenent

[in...]

I posted a while ago trying to get advice about Ambien post withdrawal symptoms but have not heard from any moderators.  Is there another place I should be posting for a Z drug question?  In the meantime I have had no choice but to reinstate with Valium for a few weeks but have not found a level that helps enough cause I’m only at 8mgs per day of Valium.  I’m having to guess my way along right now and I would be so very grateful for advise! :)

To explain I previously posted this:

“Last September I stopped Ambien cold Turkey after taking it intermittently for 7 months.  I usually only took 2.5 or 5 mg 3 times a week.  I only averaged 1.3mgs per day but it was enough to cause severe withdrawal.  I stayed off it for four solid months but suffered greatly.  After 4 months I developed severe unexpected health problems requiring 2 stomach surgeries and 2 heart surgeries.  The heart surgeries used Versed anesthesia (a Benzo) equaling a total of the equivalent of 45 mgs of Valium.  I begged the doctors to not use benzos because I was not fully healed from Ambien.  All my heart arteries had 90% blockages and required 6 large stents over 2 operations.  Due to the severe stress out of desperation I also used some low intermittent doses of Ambien over 3 months averaging about 1 mg per day.

Now I’m back in  severe Benzo withdrawal and suffer daily.  I am considering if I should try to water titrate Ambien or go reinstate Valium and do a taper with it.  I would not be alive today without the heart operations and the stress of it all has really destabilized my CNS and it is very depressing to be back here again. I just can’t seem to get stable after all that I have been through.

I have tried going cold Turkey again with the Ambien but it is unbearable now.  I would be most grateful for  any thoughts any others with experience may have!

Michael“

Hi Michael, I'm sorry you didn't get any replies. I will do my best to answer your questions, but I don't have as much knowledge/experience as the moderators do.

First off, there is a thread about Z-Drugs specifically: 

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=97331.6010;topicseen

Second, CT'ing anything in NOT a good idea, please don't go that route.

Third, if I were you, I would try reinstating the Valium at 10mg, hold for a few weeks and hope to stabilize then do a taper from there ( using homogenized full fat milk / pharmacy compounded liquid preferably ). Personally, I reinstated half a year ago and did a taper from an unstable place ( some ppl never stabilize upon reinstating), but things slowly, very slowly improved while getting down. I also cut slowly, only 5%/mo.

If you're in the US, you could try and get in touch with Dr. Josef Witt-Doerring for expert advice.

I'm sorry you have to go trough this. Hopefully one of the moderators will also chime in.

Whish you the best of luck on your healing journey!

:smitten:

[28...]

Hi Michael

I’m not too familiar with Ambien, so I would like to call on one of the administrators who I know is familiar with the drug.

But, I do think new0girl is on the right track, and thank her kindly for jumping in…

Hi investartist,

I’d like to clear up a misunderstanding, moderators and admins aren’t experts in all things benzodiazepine, our task is to keep the forum functioning smoothly, members with experience are the best for peer support.  I happen to have experience with Ambien so I’m happy to help you.

You mentioned you had already reinstated Valium in your first post on this thread, then you say in another post you may reinstate Valium and do a taper, have you already reinstated? 

Hi Michael

I reinstated and this time it hasn`t been as bad as the CT I`d done previously.

If it were me, I`d reinstate 10mg Valium.  newogirl knows her stuff.  I tapered down over 1 year ( so far) and I`m now on liquid diazepam and under 1mg. 

I`m sorry you`ve had such awful health problems but I really believe our way back to health is to get off these damn benzos.  Wishing you have some good days

I am so thankful for the thoughtful responses! 😊 I have reinstated at 8mgs V for 14 days as of now hoping to stabilize.  It’s really been tough but out of the blue 2 days ago I had a window where I felt normal virtually all day which gives me a glimmer of hope!  The next day (yesterday was back to being tough👎).  I probably should have done 10 mgs but guess I was psychologically trying to keep it to single digits.  Since it can take 4-5 weeks for the secondary Valium metabolite (120hr half life) to reach steady state could it be it may take a month or two to reach maximum stability???  I’m thinking I should have whatever stability I will have in 4-8 weeks I guess and then will start a water titration. I’m still suffering a lot but wonder if I should bump my dose up to 10mgs or more or just keep waiting for more time to see what stability I will have?

I so hate I had to reinstate due to my severe heart disease scare but I am grateful to say my heart condition appears to be 100% healed.  With total 90% blockages in all coronary arteries I was at maximum risk for a fatal heart attack.  I could not even walk a block without serious chest pain and now I do a brisk 3 mile walk every day.  Now I just hope my Valium dose will reach a reasonable stability soon!

👨🏻‍🦳

I’m thrilled to hear you had a day long window, what a treat!  It’s cruel when it closes but it does give hope doesn’t it?  It’s difficult to know if you should hold here or go up to 10 mgs, but I’m so glad you’re feeling confident about your heart, that’s so important.  I’ve read it really messes with your mind when you face heart conditions, doubting the old ticker is a scary proposition.