Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Is a 25% taper of Xanax after a 5-week hold too fast?

[Ke...]

Hi, BB’s. Is a 25% taper of Xanax after a 5-week hold, from 1.0 mg ER to 0.75 mg, too fast? I see a psychiatric nurse who refers to the Ashton manual. But she wanted to cut me in half, from 1.0 mg ER to 0.5. I asked for the smaller dosage taper (25%) and she was glad to do it. But, is 25% still too fast?

It’s been 3 days since I tapered down, and I’m having terrible insomnia. I’ve been given clonidine 0.01 mg to make up for the lack of Xanax, And paired with a low dose of melatonin, I had been sleeping pretty well until now. I now suffer from heavy fatigue all day long and I can’t sleep at night. I’m out on short-term disability because of withdrawal symptoms, and there’s no way I can work or concentrate right now, and for the foreseeable future. I have no idea if long-term disability will be covered. And if it isn’t, I’m basically screwed.

I want to note that I took Xanax for nearly 10 years at 2.0 mg ER, as prescribed, for insomnia. Am I now having rebound insomnia? If so, when should it stop?

Thank you for your insights, folks.

Likely too quick. Ideally stay between 5-10% a month and if you can do a little bit more like 10% every 2-3 weeks you’ll be able to gauge this if you track your symptoms each day. You get a guide of the ups and downs.

Your nurse telling you to do bigger cuts is just trying to get you off bc she isn’t even following Ashton and she reviewed it…. That is not ok. Send her this.

https://corxconsortium.org/wp-content/uploads/Benzo-Deprescribing.pdf

https://www.benzoinfo.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/3_BIND-The-Patient-Experience_5.17.22-3.pdf

As for LTD, I’m going thru this process right now. Dr David Rusen in Menlo Park, California has written a letter for submission with my LTD application. He’s a consultant for me bc my Dr didn’t know BIND and he’s now talked to her to get her educated so she can submit a letter for my disability appeal. I’m in Tx but he can still be a supporting consultant for the process. Dr Rusen has worked with 30-40 of his patients for disability and is very well versed in this being medication induced polyneuropathy,

ICD - 10 – CM  diagnosis code:  G 62.0

Drug - induced polyneuropathy.

I can send you his contact info over DM.

Thank you, Boges11! Having that ICD diagnosis code is super helpful. I work in healthcare communications, and I have a deep understanding of the importance of these codes. It helps me have extra clout with my healthcare provider Because I can speak their “language.“ I will definitely get this information over to my nurse practitioner. I was shocked that she would try to get me down by 50% when she said she refers to Ashton. And thank you also for the contact information for your consultant. I would be very grateful for it.  :smitten:

David Rusen

885 Oak Grove Ave, Menlo Park, CA, 94025

(650) 248-9344

Tell him Kristin gave you his info. He of course will charge for help with reviewing your symptoms and putting together a supporting letter, but it’s worth it since he understands BIND and the disabling nature and what benzos can do(where very very few drs do). Took me 3yrs to find a Dr that understood. Dr Witt Doerring also is another one and he worked for the FDA so has a very good background on all of this.

Wishing you the best.