Important Survey - Please Participate ×

alcohol wave

[Ch...]

That’s pretty much the story. I’m 36 months into recovery and sometimes drink socially and in moderation. I don’t notice a significant uptick in sx’s after, though it’s possible that this has extended my recovery process. Anyway, I’m visiting family and had a night of drinking and telling stories with my uncle. It was great bonding time, but I slept poorly and today I’m on the couch vibrating with anxiety.

If there’s any silver lining, it’s a reminder that this is how I used to feel all the time and now it’s just the effect of taxing my system beyond its current capabilities. The hardest thing, though, is that I’m not yet comfortable expressing to this part of my family what I’m experiencing, so it’s also an isolating experience. I’ll likely be back to baseline tomorrow, but needed to come here to express what’s going on. Thanks for listening.

Don’t beat yourself up to much.  You are a good person who has been through a lot.  On the bright side you had fun which is good for you. 

Thanks, that means a lot. Recovery has amplified my already iffy self-esteem issues, so sometimes a reminder that a wave isn’t a moral failure genuinely helps.

It's wonderful you had such a special bonding time with your uncle.  I'm sorry you had to pay such a price for it though.  Some people seem to be able to drink moderately during withdrawal while for others it leads to an uptick in symptoms.  My experience was similar to what you describe and continued that way for many months.  In my case I realized avoiding the uptick in symptoms was more important to me and I avoided drinking.  It was hard because it had been such a pleasant social experience to drink with friends.  All of a sudden that dynamic shifted and it was so hard to explain.  So I understand what you mean about feeling isolated - I'm so glad you can come here and share your experience with others who truly understand.