Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Steroids steroids steroids?

[Ga...]

Unfortunately, I have had a very bad fungal infection for two weeks which both the OTC Nystatin powder and ointment only made the rash itch and burn more!  After seeing my doctor and an urgent care doctor, both recommended one dose of Diflucan which I usually tolerate well, and a two week application twice daily of a cream called Clotrimazole and Betamethasone, the Beta part of it being a steroid with a strength of 0.5 mg.  After two applications yesterday I have noticed a significant improvement in the rash, but have awakened with one of my bad headaches and some jitteriness.  My doctor who has been a tremendous source of support knows well my fear of steroids, but assured me yesterday that the amount of steroid is low, and it will not invade the bloodstream?

Please, can I get some replies from those of you who have had any experience with steroids as I am pretty nervous about going forward with the cream.  I certainly don’t want to set myself up for a wave now that I am at 39 months post-taper from a one year use of Valium!!!!

Thanks!!!

GG

Awww, no one reading this has had any experience with steroids, good bad or indifferent? 

Just double checking ???

Hi gardenguru, I'm traumatized by cortisone, I was in a (mild) withdrawal from it and very confused and that's how I ended up in benzo hell. You can have very similar symptoms on those. It's a very potent med. If you could avoid I would.

I completed a course of nasal corticosteroids with no issues.  I titrated the dose gradually upward to make sure I could tolerate it.  After the condition resolved, I titrated the dose gradually downward to avoid withdrawal effects.

GG,

I believe your doctor is correct.  Topical steroids do not enter the bloodstream, or if they do it would be such a miniscule amount.

I have not used topical steroids but I have had steroid injections in my shoulder, several times. Steroids do have side effects, this would be true for anyone.  Some people experience them, others do not.  I have mild effects, some flushing, a little burst of energy the first day and some sweating.  I also took medrol dose pack once and had no additional side effects.

Everyone is different and must make the best choice for their particular situation. Steroids are very good anti-inflammatory drugs, they worked for me in the short term.

pianogirl  :smitten:

Hey GG.  Nasal steroids wrecked me beyond my imagination.  18 months later I am only 50% recovered and still cant eat food without it causing bad symptoms.  I tolerated them fine for 6 months but when I stopped at the end of 6 months I went into severe withdrawals after 3 days.

Just like everything else you will find some folks here who can tolerate them fine while others like me are completely wrecked from them. 

JBen:  I’m sorry you had a bad experience with nasal steroids. Might I ask how you discontinued this medication?  Did you cold turkey or did you titrate your dose gradually downward?

Thanks so much everyone for your replies even though I had to do a little nudge :laugh:

I will continue with the cream until the rash is totally healed, then look forward to enjoying a long lazy summer and I hope the same for all of you, my fellow buddies.

Healing hugs,

GG

JBen:  I’m sorry you had a bad experience with nasal steroids. Might I ask how you discontinued this medication?  Did you cold turkey or did you titrate your dose gradually downward?

I tapered over a month - I guess it wasnt long enough or something.  It def got in my bloodstream because I suffered all kinds of joint pain issues once I got off.  Ugh!

I think creams seem the safest. Also, I was on high amounts of pills for clogged ears. Medical mismanagement started there. I'm sure most people are fine with it. I had no reason to be on them unfortunately.

JBen: Thanks for the additional information.  I don’t recall which nasal steroid you used but learning more about its pharmacological properties might be helpful.  For example, here’s a paper about the one I used (Flonase Sensimist, formerly Veramyst):

Pharmacological properties of the enhanced-affinity glucocorticoid fluticasone furoate in vitro and in an in vivo model of respiratory inflammatory disease, Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 293.

https://journals.physiology.org/doi/pdf/10.1152/ajplung.00108.2007

Cocodot: I agree with you. Based on what I’ve read, topical steroids (e.g. creams, nasal sprays) are less likely to have systemic effects compared to oral or IV steroids. My ENT wanted me to take both an oral steroid and the nasal spray; I declined the former.

I put some hydrocortisone cream on a bug bite once in recovery and didn't sleep that night.  I think it revved me up something good.  I haven't done it since. 

I’ve used clobetasol, which is pretty potent topical steroid and didnt notice anything. Granted i am still tapering. To be safe i have stopped use and switched to anti fungal cream and shampoo to keep my sebderm at bay.