Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Extreme dizziness and gut problems during Diazepam taper - how to cope?

[Zi...]

Hello budies,

I am down on 0,72mg of Diazepam for 5 weeks now. My last cut was pretty big (from 3 doses a day I cut to two doses because I forgot to take midday dose for a few days… so the cut was by 0,36mg or 1/3 of my daily dose - from 1,1mg to 0,72mg)

I have been tapering from 2,5 mg since January 2023.

I have finished another two tapers (AP May 21, AD September 22).

Pretty experienced in withdrawing because being in the process since May 2020!

My questions are about two symptoms I have now in huge severity and didn ´t have before… so don ´t know how to cope and whether they will ease soon 🙏

Dizziness- days and nights for long weeks now… I can ´t drive, walk, work on pc, even standing is simetimes problematic. What happened in my brain that I feel so severely dizzy for weeks now? How can I help myself? I found out that after an hour doing something I need an hour to rest (quietly in dark room with no eye movement) BUT I don ´t see any progress in longer terms. Days are having similar pattern.

Gut problems (digestion) - I feel pains and noises and uncomfortable feeling all days long in my gut and stomach. I eat really clean, am on low histamine diet because I developed HIT due to antidepressants I was on (Amitrityline). I have quite big appetite (thankfully… because I was very tinny and malnutriented). But the digestion is hurting, I have to spend many hours daily in bed because when I stand up my pains in gut area are bigger. Do you have any tips how to cope? Did you experience the same discomfort for weeks and did it go away?

I have been on the dose 0,72mg Diazepam for another weeks / months unless I feel I can continue. I ak on 3,33mg Zolpidem as well - holding the dose.

Thank you all for your comments. Katerina

Hello Katerina :hug:  Welcome to the forum.

Well done on your taper so far, we would normally recommend tapering one drug at a time, It looks like you have coped okay with tapering off a few drugs.  We would usually recommend a reduction of between 5/10% every 2 weeks, slow is best with benzodiazepines.  I’ve had dizziness and also gut problems its very common with benzo withdrawal, these symptoms can be dreadful, but they will settle down eventually. I don't have any great tips for you,  avoid sugar,coffee,alcohol,  eat and drink as healthy as you can.  I would hold off on the Zolpidem, finish tapering off your Diazepam first.  Its a tough journey but you will get through this, It gets better and you'll receive plenty of support here to help you through it.

The Ashton Manual is an authoritative source on what to expect in withdrawal and recovery.  Dr. Ashton was an expert in the field.  She describes and explains withdrawal symptoms in ChapterIII.

Here are a few links to resources:

The Ashton Manual 

Planning Your Withdrawal(TaperPlans)

The Dizziness Group: For those who are floating, boating, falling or flying

Z-Drug Support Group (Lunesta, Imovane, Zimovane, Ambien, Sonata, Zopiclone)

if you would please add a signature with your history of benzo meds/doses etc. so that members can reply to your posts with more relevant advice . To do this  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome Aboard

Magrita

Thank you Magrita.

I read Ashton Manual but thanks for tips on sources where to get more information.

I will try to add my drug history to my profile.

Did you find that gut problems are easing with some herbs or physical (in)activity? I barely can walk now so no excersice is possible for me but hopefully it won ´t be permanent. Combo of being dizzy all days and having benzo belly is dredfull.

Katerina

Hi Katerina

I couldn’t take herbs, many of us are very sensitive to supplements and I also found I couldn’t tolerate exercise for a while.  I am glad you are managing.  Just know that withdrawal symptoms are temporary and with time they will abate.

Magrita :smitten:

Thank you Magrita.

I read Ashton Manual but thanks for tips on sources where to get more information.

I will try to add my drug history to my profile.

Did you find that gut problems are easing with some herbs or physical (in)activity? I barely can walk now so no excersice is possible for me but hopefully it won ´t be permanent. Combo of being dizzy all days and having benzo belly is dredfull.

Katerina

I meant to add “me too” on both of these horrendous symptoms. I couldn’t walk, I couldn’t stand up for more than a few minutes and gut issues just awful.  I couldn’t eat, benzo belly, pain, nausea, Irritable bowel, Irritable bladder, endless nerve and muscle pain.  I feel for you Katerina because I know what your going through.

Keep positive and remind yourself this is temporary.

Magrita :smitten:

Thank you Magrita for the link to an artical you have in your signature (What happens with our brain)… it really helped me to go through today.

I hope this acute phase will ease soon. I know there is no other option than go through it, to hold a dose for weeks unless i am prepared for another cut. I don ´t write unless I am stabile, because never was stabile on any psychdrugs during almost 7year psych treatment.

Forum like this and SA are life savers for me. Thank you for doing this great job for people around the world. Katerina