Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

13 Months out and tempted to take Zoloft and Depakote

[Dr...]

It’s been 13 months and my son’s bipolar mood instability and previous ocd are out of control, in addition to his other protracted benzo withdrawal symptoms. He went off Zoloft and Depakote when he stopped taking Ativan. Now after suffering through 13 months he’s tempted to take them again. Please remind him how these drugs will set him back to the beginning.

I’m not sure the drugs for his bipolar mood instability would set him back, and if he’s suffering, I have to think they might help.  How long has he been bipolar, do you agree with his diagnosis?

Hi Pamster, he was diagnosed 17 years ago. There’s no question he has bipolar. It would be devastating if a mood stabilizer and SSRI caused him to regress in his healing. I don’t even know if it’s possible to heal while taking those meds. So most of the time he says he won’t take drugs.But during particularly bad periods he wants to take them. He’s torn.

I’ve watched members try antidepressants with success, some face symptoms because of our sensitivity but Professor Ashton mentioned they can be helpful while going through withdrawal.  He can recover while taking an A/D, there are probably hundreds of members who have.

I don’t know the relationship of bipolar meds to recovery, but I’m sure many have recovered while taking them as well.  People have medical conditions that require medication and most can’t stop taking them. 

I can see why you’re torn but it might be a good idea to reintroduce his medications, is his doctor aware he’s stopped them?

Are you familiar with Dr. Chris Palmer's work on diet and psychiatric conditions? His whole platform is nutritional psychiatry. He has successfully treated severe mental conditions with diet. Maybe you can explore treatments like Dr. Palmer's and see if that works first?

There is just no predicting how your son will or will not tolerate the neurotoxic agents being reintroduced. I guess the question would be, if they made things worse could he handle that, and what would be the plan in that case? I know of more failed reinstatement with devastating consequences than successful ones. There is no way to know what will happen after a benzo injury...

Hi Pamster, his psychiatrist knows he went off all meds- cold turkey. There’s nothing the p-doc can do for him if he won’t take drugs. Whether he responds positively or negatively is just so iffy. He has since decided it’s not worth the risk.

Hi Rebecca29, I just looked up Dr Palmer. I was hoping to read that he recommends a plant based diet. Since benzo withdrawal my son has been on a very strict, raw vegan, organic diet. It doesn’t seem to be helping though. I’m afraid he would never go for keto. It just goes against all of his beliefs about nutrition.

I appreciate hearing about more people having bad responses to going back on meds. My son decided it’s not worth the risk of being set back.

I’m glad he’s taking an active role in his health choices, it seems like he’s considering all aspects and making decisions for himself.  I’m sure its difficult for you to see him like this, do you have support?