Don't know where to start, seeking some direction

[am...]

Hello,

I joined benzobuddies because I am completely lost right now concerning my Klonopin. I have been on 1mg a day for 25 years. (initially prescribed for panic attacks and night terrors) A few weeks ago  I started having severe insomnia, and now I believe I am in full blown withdrawl. I am having panic attacks, tremors, poor appetite, tinnitus, gastro problems, and suicidal ideation.

I'm guessing that I just finally hit tolerance with the 1mg. But what do I do now? Do I increase the dose and start tapering, or do I wait for my symptoms to settle down and taper from where I'm at, or do I switch to another benzo and taper down. I'm just looking for a place to start. Any advice would be a god-send right now.

Hello amjones310, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

You have a firm grasp of your situation, it does indeed appear you’ve hit tolerance, and it sounds like you want to taper off, rather than increase your dose and hope you don’t tolerance again too soon?  I believe tapering off is your best course of action, once this process starts, the time between the dose working and when it quits seems to get shorter and shorter.

As to when to begin, its tough to stay when you should attempt to taper, I guess it boils down to how bad you feel and your level of functionality.  You may need to go up in dose in order to make a plan to reduce, I’m sure your cognitive abilities are compromised at the moment so I guess you’ll need to figure that part out.

We suggest reducing by about 5-10% of your dose every couple of weeks but tapering according to your symptoms is the best way to stay functional.

I’ll provide some links to get you started but please let us know how we can help you.

Pamster

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Ashton Manual symptom list

Hello,

I joined benzobuddies because I am completely lost right now concerning my Klonopin. I have been on 1mg a day for 25 years. (initially prescribed for panic attacks and night terrors) A few weeks ago  I started having severe insomnia, and now I believe I am in full blown withdrawl. I am having panic attacks, tremors, poor appetite, tinnitus, gastro problems, and suicidal ideation.

I'm guessing that I just finally hit tolerance with the 1mg. But what do I do now? Do I increase the dose and start tapering, or do I wait for my symptoms to settle down and taper from where I'm at, or do I switch to another benzo and taper down. I'm just looking for a place to start. Any advice would be a god-send right now.

We have a lot in common, I found answers to all your questions, giving you the choice of how to make your own plan.  No one can do that for us but the support you get here will make things so much better as you will know you are not alone.  I am 70 now and took generic of Klonopin which is Clonazepam, 1 mg a day, thought it was not more dangerous than a vitamin.  Boy have I learned some things about benzos, and so glad I am now on the road to recovery.  I believe I can have more quality of life if I do a slow-taper, but each person has to decide what's best for them ;)

I believe you are right where you are supposed to be, because all folks here have one important thing in common, we were or are still, weaning off whatever Benzo we were prescribed ;)  There's a lot to see/read here, and there's a pretty good Board I like called the Klonopin Club in Support Groups, but I go lots of places, meet people here and learn more every day ;)  Welcome, Denise  :smitten::thumbsup:  Oops, forgot to mention I took the C for 35 years.  I always wondered if I should ask for a larger dose but I am so glad I never did.  I really didn't know about tolerance but I had, and still have some of the issues you developed as well, especially bad tremor in my head and hands, severe Tinnitus, got very bad acid reflux and Esophogeal spasms that feel like a heart attack, insomnia ;)

• 1 month later...

Thanks for your story oregonlady.

I started my cross-over to valium on 6/16. For the next 4 weeks I'm going to try to completely switch over to valium. Then I will begin the tapering process. Do most people stick with the ashton manual, or should I try a micro taper dissolving the pill in water?

Does anybody have thoughts on the pro's and cons of both methods.

Thanks again!

I just chose what work easiest for me which was a dry-taper.  I had some issues with the water, and also how well, or not so well, a tablet will dissolve in water.  It's really personal choice, and a lot of folks follow Dr. Heather Ashton, there are several of her videos on youtube I've watched.  I looked at a lot of info here on the forum, actually I was all over the internet, mostly video how-to's, then if I found something that sounded good I'd ask here on the forum like in the "taper" specific boards, or in the Support Groups different people have formed.

For me I tried a couple things first to find what worked for me, was actually something my anxiety could handle, I kept it very simple too as all the numbers/math was so hard for me.  Now I just go by pill weight, and when I taper I just shave a bit off with a razor blade and keep track on a piece of paper, that's it. 

I do a slow-taper, which for me is cut a tiny bit off my tablets, then "hold" that same amount until I feel ok, no major withdrawals.  But everyone finds their own way.  For me I'd rather take a longer time to taper with less side-effects, withdrawal symptoms so that is what I'm trying for.  I don't avoid wd sxs altogether, but I am doing well enough to keep functioning with daily tasks etc. ;) Denise