Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

A long way to go but need help to finish

[Al...]

Good morning,

I live in France, I had a big "burnout-generalized anxiety disorder" 6 years ago, I had to go to a rest home at the time.

Subsequently, I had to change jobs to find a job that gave me a rhythm more suited to my personal needs.

I also completely quit alcohol and tobacco around the same time (2018). Unfortunately, at that time, I was put on an anxiolytic (alprazolam initially, then valium) and on an antidepressant (deroxat).

I struggle since that day with these molecules, I have decreased a lot, relapsed, increased again, decreased again, etc. All winters are complicated periods, and the current period is also complicated because I am once again reaching a minimum dose of valium.

I practice breathing, I do a bit of sport even if my body sometimes takes it quite badly, I am settled in my new job now (teacher), I do EMDR, I sometimes practice meditation. With regard to valium (diazepam) therefore, I remained at around 2mg during the year 2021, then 1mg during the year 2022, but a relapse last winter led me to take around 10 mg, which I been in operation since early January. I am at 2 mg (I take them in drops, 6 drops therefore), but it becomes very difficult.

I would like to have access to your forum so that I can find the necessary support here to complete the work. At the same time, I'm still on 5 mg of deroxat (a quarter of a standard tablet).

That's it, thank you very much for your feedback, and see you soon on the forum.

Hello Alwayshere :hug: Welcome to Benzobuddies!

We are glad you joined our community. I am sorry you are having a difficult time tapering.  Your doing all the right things to help yourself through this ordeal, sport a little exercise and meditation will help you through this.    It’s possible you are decreasing too much and that may be the reason you feel the need to increase and decrease.  Some members  use titration method to slow the process down, Titration. It’s suggested reducing between 5% and 10% every 10 - 14 days, many find this too fast, you should slow it down to whatever pace feels comfortable to you. The aim is to keep symptoms manageable.  You will get plenty of support and encouragement on the forum, to help you the rest of the way.

The Ashton Manual, is a great resource for understanding the effect benzo’s have on our body.  It provides withdrawal information and includes a list of common temporary symptoms 

I'll leave you a few links to check out:

The Ashton Manual

Planning Your Withdrawal (TaperPlans)

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidelines

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

You might also like to post here

Valium Support Group

If you would like to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) to help members give you relevant advice.  Please go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita