Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Sorry for double topics how do I taper

[Mo...]

Was prescribed 1mg x2 daily of K. Learning disability wanting to know how to taper my prescription.i read Ashton but don't understand how to do %. Per dose.  Do I cut from each pill or do I stop taking 1? Would I be able to drop to .5 per pill? I want a slow taper to make sure I'll be fine.

Are you certain that reinstating to taper is your best course of action at this point?  Or, is it possible you have fallen into the common trap of obsessing/ruminating/catastrophizing about your symptoms as opposed to simply recognizing them for what they are and taking whatever steps you can to live as well as you can during this period?

As other members have told you, many individuals (especially those who frequent online forums such as this one) experience withdrawal symptoms after discontinuation.

According to your posts, the post-cessation withdrawal symptoms you have experienced thus far have been relatively mild (e.g. a brief episode of tinnitus which you were able to resolve, itchy/warm skin, some brain fog, insomnia which you indicated you could handle).

Are you certain that reinstating to taper is your best course of action at this point?  Or, is it possible you have fallen into the common trap of obsessing/ruminating/catastrophizing about your symptoms as opposed to simply recognizing them for what they are and taking whatever steps you can to live as well as you can during this period?

As other members have told you, many individuals (especially those who frequent online forums such as this one) experience withdrawal symptoms after discontinuation.

According to your posts, the post-cessation withdrawal symptoms you have experienced thus far have been relatively mild (e.g. a brief episode of tinnitus which you were able to resolve, itchy/warm skin, some brain fog, insomnia which you indicated you could handle).

The tinnitus if it comes back I will be unable to handle. Im terrified, music(I spend hours trying to turn music tracks crystal clear )and silence(which I meditate,exercise,overall enjoy) are two of the three things that put my mind at ease. I would lose 2/3rd of what keeping me sane throughout this process. It would also effect my 3rd which is gaming. That small amount of time regardless that it resolved was absolutely maddening to me. I cannot foresee myself going years with a  blaring high pitch siren in my right ear. . So yea. Are you saying I should wait when it returns which it will cause I feel funky in my right ear already to reinstate? Or tough it out? For how long? If it goes away which is a I pretty big if because I read most c/t success stories and all or most have tinnitus that doesnt go away. Shouldn't I take precautions if I'm only a week in? When I still have a chance

Edit: Content

The tinnitus if it comes back I will be unable to handle. Im terrified, music(I spend hours trying to turn music tracks crystal clear )and silence(which I meditate,exercise,overall enjoy) are two of the three things that put my mind at ease. I would lose 2/3rd of what keeping me sane throughout this process. It would also effect my 3rd which is gaming. That small amount of time regardless that it resolved was absolutely maddening to me. I cannot foresee myself going years with a  blaring high pitch siren in my right ear. . So yea. Are you saying I should wait when it returns which it will cause I feel funky in my right ear already to reinstate? Or tough it out? For how long? If it goes away which is a I pretty big if because I read most c/t success stories and all or most have tinnitus that doesnt go away. Shouldn't I take precautions if I'm only a week in? When I still have a chance

What Libertas has kindly and gently tried to convey to you is that given your use and symptom severity, she and I frankly see no benefit to you reinstating and tapering.  Tapering is incredibly difficult and painful for most of our members and once off the drug, there is recovery which takes much longer than most tapers.  If you choose to go this route, you will suffer for far longer than you will if you stay off the medication. 

We are giving you the best advice we know based on personal experience and years of helping people through this process. If you don’t believe us, perhaps you will Professor Ashton.

The Ashton Manual

Reinstatement after withdrawal? Many benzodiazepine users who find themselves in this position have withdrawn too quickly; some have undergone 'cold turkey'. They think that if they go back on benzodiazepines and start over again on a slower schedule they will be more successful. Unfortunately, things are not so simple. For reasons that are not clear, (but perhaps because the original experience of withdrawal has already sensitised the nervous system and heightened the level of anxiety) the original benzodiazepine dose often does not work the second time round. Some may find that only a higher dose partially alleviates their symptoms, and then they still have to go through a long withdrawal process again, which again may not be symptom-free.

What Libertas has kindly and gently tried to convey to you is that given your use and symptom severity, she and I frankly see no benefit to you reinstating and tapering.  Tapering is incredibly difficult and painful for most of our members and once off the drug, there is recovery which takes much longer than most tapers.  If you choose to go this route, you will suffer for far longer than you will if you stay off the medication. 

We are giving you the best advice we know based on personal experience and years of helping people through this process. If you don’t believe us, perhaps you will Professor Ashton.

The Ashton Manual

Reinstatement after withdrawal? Many benzodiazepine users who find themselves in this position have withdrawn too quickly; some have undergone 'cold turkey'. They think that if they go back on benzodiazepines and start over again on a slower schedule they will be more successful. Unfortunately, things are not so simple. For reasons that are not clear, (but perhaps because the original experience of withdrawal has already sensitised the nervous system and heightened the level of anxiety) the original benzodiazepine dose often does not work the second time round. Some may find that only a higher dose partially alleviates their symptoms, and then they still have to go through a long withdrawal process again, which again may not be symptom-free.

how did you get through the tinnitus I am losing sleep(little that I have )over that small incident. I never felt terror like that before. I had steeled my nerves before that happened I didn't really think it would be that bad until that happened it completely shook me to my absolute core. It hit me where it was most precious. does it really go away? I've read handful of folks seen relief in 5 years others it stayed with them. I'm at a absolute loss here I can taper suffer and might keep my hearing or c/t and eventually get tinnitus. My hearing it worth the suffering. I don't want to be like a the few buddies on here who wish they could reinstate but are out so far out it's impossible. Do you really think, this is best course of action. Do you honestly think so?(not sarcasm)

I honestly think staying off the drug is the best decision, and I don’t make this recommendation lightly because I understand the pain you’re in and the fear you feel.  My only interest is saving you from further pain.

I had tinnitus but it wasn’t the reason I couldn’t sleep, hardly anyone here can sleep while tapering and recovering, its the most common symptom we have so even if you didn’t experience tinnitus, its doubtful you’ll sleep well until you recover.

Tinnitus affects many of us but in different degrees, mine was fairly mild and short lived but stressing about it made it worse. 

These symptoms you’re feeling are temporary, they will begin to ease then disappear and when they do, I promise you, you’ll be so glad you didn’t reinstate and prolong your pain for years to come.

We’re working really hard to convince you because you haven’t taken the drug for decades and we truly believe you’ll be one of the lucky ones here, a member who can escape the nightmare those of us who took the drug for far too long have to endure.  We feel hope for you, we see promise in you. 

I honestly think staying off the drug is the best decision, and I don’t make this recommendation lightly because I understand the pain you’re in and the fear you feel.  My only interest is saving you from further pain.

I had tinnitus but it wasn’t the reason I couldn’t sleep, hardly anyone here can sleep while tapering and recovering, its the most common symptom we have so even if you didn’t experience tinnitus, its doubtful you’ll sleep well until you recover.

Tinnitus affects many of us but in different degrees, mine was fairly mild and short lived but stressing about it made it worse. 

These symptoms you’re feeling are temporary, they will begin to ease then disappear and when they do, I promise you, you’ll be so glad you didn’t reinstate and prolong your pain for years to come.

We’re working really hard to convince you because you haven’t taken the drug for decades and we truly believe you’ll be one of the lucky ones here, a member who can escape the nightmare those of us who took the drug for far too long have to endure.  We feel hope for you, we see promise in you.

I'll won't reinstate may god and bb be with me.

I feel this is your best course of action and commend your decision.  We’ll be here by your side, we’ll help steer you through this scary time.