Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Postpartum thyroiditis and 2 mg ativan short term use

[Po...]

I am wanting to join to find help in my tapering process. I took Xanax for 2 1/2 months and then switched to ativan for 2 months. I am currently at 1.75 and started my taper this week from 2 mg. I had postpartum thyroiditis with awful anxiety and insomnia. Had horrible side effects and guidance from doctors and now I’m stuck using benzos to sleep. Wondering if there are any postpartum moms on this forum that have had similar issues as mine. Right now I’m struggling with morning anxiety and chopped up sleep again since tapering as well as headaches. Want to know others stories with short term use of benzos and what my recovery and tapering will look like. First time user and first time tapering.

Hello  Postpartummom :hug: Welcome to benzobuddies.

We are glad you are here.  We have/had many short term members, Its unfair but it doesn't seem to matter, what dose or for how long, the suffering is just the same.  I am sorry you are struggling with anxiety and insomnia, they are top two withdrawal symptoms.  I had both, the morning anxiety was chronic! it does get better, with time.  You'll find plenty of information and receive lots of support here.  Our members have gone through all aspects of withdrawal, and you're likely to see people who understand what you're going through and can tell you what has worked for them. 

Its generally suggested reducing no faster than 5-10% every 10-14 days, and some taper even slower than that.  Having some withdrawal symptoms is normal.  The most common symptoms are anxiety and insomnia, but these symptoms are temporary and do go away with some time.

I recommend that you take a look at The Ashton Manual, It provides a great deal of information that can be very reassuring during any stage of this process, including a list of common symptoms with helpful explanations. . CHAPTER III

Here a few links to resources:

The Ashton Manual 

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidelines

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

We have dedicated boards dealing with both Insomnia and Anxiety you can connect with others who can offer some ideas and help.

Anxiety

Insomnia

If you would like to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome Aboard

Magrita

Welcome and you will find there is lots of help here, I've been here 2 weeks, so new myself but I can't tell you how it's changed my life already, just to be given hope I can be rid of clonazapam for good ;)