Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Seeking support for diazepam taper

[He...]

Hi there,

I have been a user of diazepam on/off for roughly 20 years. My method of use is primarily a high dose a few times a week. I convinced myself I wouldn't be addicted as I didn't use daily. However, I have successfully detoxed from opiates a couple of months ago and decided to reduce my diazepam. I've cut my use by more than half and I'm experiencing some withdrawal symptoms. A few of them are muscle twitching, headaches and fatigue. I came across this support group while generally looking for help/advice and maybe people to talk to. I'm feeling very isolated at the moment so any help would be appreciated. Thank you Hendo79

Hello Hendo79 :hug: Welcome to Benzobuddies!

We are glad you joined our community.  You are not alone anymore, you have made a great decision to come off these drugs. Well done coming off opiates!  Slow is the way to go with benzodiazepines.  It’s generally advised to stabilise at a set daily dose you feel comfortable with and then taper from there. It’s  suggested reducing between 5% and 10% every 10 - 14 days, many find this too fast and slow it down, whatever feels comfortable to you.  Please post your questions to any of the dedicated boards.

The Ashton Manual, is a great resource for understanding the effect benzo’s have on our body.  It provides withdrawal information and includes a list of common symptoms 

I'll leave you a few links to resources:

The Ashton Manual

Planning Your Withdrawal (TaperPlans)

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidelines

You might also like to post here

Valium Support Group

If you would like to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) to help members give you relevant advice.  Please go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita