Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Support

[hi...]

I'm supporting a family member tapering off .25mg Clonazepam twice a day. He was prescribed that dose to help while tapering off an antidepressant.  He took that dose for 2 weeks. Once off the antidepressant he decreased his dose to .125mg twice a day for one week. Two days ago he tried to drop down to .062mg and experienced severe symptoms. Looking for tapering advice.

Hello hicarol, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

Oh my gosh, it makes me so frustrated when doctors prescribe these drugs to help taper from another drug, you go from the frying pan into the fire.  I'm glad your family member is tapering  instead of quitting cold turkey but to tell you the truth, I'm hoping he can push through these symptoms and get off the Clonazepam.  He can certainly slow down, we suggest reducing by about 5-10% every couple of weeks but since he only used it for 2 weeks, I'm hoping he can go faster.

He could be looking at antidepressant withdrawal symptoms in addition to symptoms from the Clonazepam so he might be getting a double whammy.  I'll provide some links to help you get started on the forum but I'm hoping you'll ask the greater community on the Withdrawal  Support (during your taper) board since not many members hang out on the introductions board.

We're glad you're here and hope we can help.

Pamster

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Ashton  Manual symptom list

Welcome, and I am so glad to hear of your support for someone that is trying to get off a benzo.  I'm new at tapering myself, and found BB a couple weeks ago.  Lots of great info here, more than I found anywhere else, and from so many that have shared their stories.

I've learned my way around, somewhat ;) and if you need help you can message me anytime.  If I don't know the answer, I'm pretty good at finding it :) Denise