Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Finally want to get off these benzos!

[Me...]

Hi, I’ve joined here to get withdrawl support and taper advise.  I have been on benzos for 16 years and I have started decreasing my intake.  I used to be on 10mg Valium 4 pills a day but the last few years I have been on 5mg Valium 3-5 pills a day.  I am currently taking 10-15 pills a week of the 5mg Valium and would like to switch to a natural healthier alternative. 

Hello Megan772 :hug: Welcome to Benzobuddies

I am glad you joined the community. You are making a great decision for a healthier future. You’ve come to an excellent place for taper advice and support.  You were initially taking  10 mg Valium  was that  2mg x 5 times daily is that right?  You then went on 5mg x3=15 mgs daily.  We have many members here who are going through the same thing.  Please browse the boards and post questions, our members are very caring and supportive and will respond.

Slow is best with benzodiazepines.  It’s generally suggested to taper between 5/10% every 10/14 days. Many find it too fast, you can slow down.  Check out the taper plans board, and post to learn more about tapering.

I would suggest you read the Ashton Manual, you will find It is a valuable resource for learning about benzos and the effect these drugs have on our body.  Chapter III helped me, reading about the possible withdrawal symptoms with explanations symptoms 

I'll leave you a few links to resources:

The Ashton Manual

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidelines

Planning Your Withdrawal(TaperPlans)

Withdrawal Support

If you please add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita