Important Survey - Please Participate ×

anyone benefited from a long hold/significant updose due to huge unstabilty.

[ni...]

I've been declined medical care because my 'neuro excitation' is too high, and body interpreting everything as painful. I've been told I need to calm my fight/flight, which I'm stuck in. Long hold? updose? I'm worsening everyday....

I held for a month, but within that month, I still went downhill so I thought i mareswell continue, could it just be i needed to holdl longer? don't know what your experience was like, did you go downhil during your hold and then your brain caught up?

Yes. So I got cut by 40% after 12 days of usage. All hell broke lose. Ended up at the ER and everything. Parents thought I was dying, literally shared phone numbers of the most important people to call if I had died. It was terrible, I didn't know about updosing and I got worried when I finally joined here it was too late to do so so I held. I held and I got worse and got many different symptoms. I held and I got better and first we thought "great it'll be a few weeks like the doctors claim and I'll be fine“ that was not the case. I held and I got wayyyy worse, like again thinking I was dying with hallucinations and so on. I held even longer. I got better. I got worse. I got better. I got better. Mind you, I have never been well on this crap but I felt after 3,5 months I could try to reduce by 3%ish. And I managed with the common uptick between day 3 and 10. And now I have been trying to reduce like that every 2 or 3 weeks. I don't sleep (I was pushed on this by therapists for sleep but I was okay before now!!), I tremor, I'm in pain but I'm cognitively better than I was on full dosage and I'm slowly trying to get off. Two more cuts and I'm going to be half way.

so essentially what you're saying is , during your long hold, you got better , then worse, then better again, twice?

Yes. Irrespective of the regular getting better and worse and the worse before my period. I got better then wayyyy worse than even the first bad then better then a bit worse then better and then I decided to make a small cut.

hello ningapanda~~  i was the same as you when i began my taper.... i was in horrible shape for four months.  i did not want to reinstate or updose, so i remained that way until my husband talked me into increasing and holding . i went up to almost my full dose and held for about 6 months and then restarted the taper much more slowly.  im into year 3 of this and honestly aside from a few bad days, im feeling better then i have in the past 25 years that i was on klonopin. .  i do believe i am tapering slower than most, but i can definatly feel healing so it works for me.  wishing you health ans healing~~jill

I've been declined medical care because my 'neuro excitation' is too high, and body interpreting everything as painful. I've been told I need to calm my fight/flight, which I'm stuck in. Long hold? I'm worsening everyday....

Hi- I greatly benefited from a month hold.  I did a 6 week hold, and really didn’t see much more improvement, but the hold helped.  I have seen others who have said their “3 month” holds made all the difference and other’s who have said their long holds aren’t helping at all….so I think it is very individual.

Marie

hello ningapanda~~  i was the same as you when i began my taper.... i was in horrible shape for four months.  i did not want to reinstate or updose, so i remained that way until my husband talked me into increasing and holding . i went up to almost my full dose and held for about 6 months and then restarted the taper much more slowly.  im into year 3 of this and honestly aside from a few bad days, im feeling better then i have in the past 25 years that i was on klonopin. .  i do believe i am tapering slower than most, but i can definatly feel healing so it works for me.  wishing you health ans healing~~jill

Jill-  Wow.  You are actually very impressive.  Your dose would have been equivalent to 40mg of diazepam, so you have really rocked it. 

Yes, I agree with slow and steady and doing the symptom based.  The goal is to function, and get off at the same time.

Marie (I’m really slow…LOL)

thanks howmanytimes~~~  yes, the beginning was a nightmare, so im very thankful to be living my life right now.  i honestly dont care if takes another 10 months or more to be finished tapering.  thanks again for the kind words~~~blessing to you  <3  jill

Jill, you've done so well! Im really suffering and have been for about 27 years on this drug and wd now is killing me. I rarely here see people on it so long as I have.  It's hard.

Bulldog- Hang in there…it is soooo hard.

Jilly- Thank you too….yes me too…I don’t care how (well I kind of do, I want it to be over) how long it takes, as long as I can function.  Thankfully I have a great partner who supports the process  :smitten:

Marie

bulldog~~  the first four months of my taper was a living hell. i dont even know who that person was.  the only thing that saved me was going back up.  it took a month or so for me to feel somewhat like myself.  is  that an option for you?.  prayers for healing~~jill

OMG- My first 4mo were also a living HELL, well my first 4 after my C/O to V…I had been weaning from the K and it wasn’t as bad…then all HELL broke loose.  I honestly thought at times, I might not make it.  I didn’t updose, but I did eventually hold at 10mg for a month and I felt sooooo much better.  However, I have never been the same.  I know one day, I will get my life back.

It does become overwhelming at times, and what was helpful for me was this forum and The Bedridden group (it’s pretty quiet there now  :'() and knowing that we are not alone in what we are going through, and seeing our friends sharing and caring, seeing them start to improve and having old timers stop by to give encouragement and knowing that it does eventually get better.

There have been so many times that I wanted to quit.  Just give up, because I felt like I couldn’t take the physical sickness, the PAIN and the mental strain anymore…..I am a shell of the person I use to be, talk about “mental”!! It can be so hard to look in the mirror and say, “Where are you”?  Yet, I don’t quit….I keep going on, and I know that one day I will look in the mirror and see myself again.  I know that my brain and body are healing and this is a painful process both physically and mentally, and we all just have to do the best we can to come to terms with the “process”.  Most importantly, knowing you aren’t alone  :hug:

Try to drink lots of water….and “try” to get outside and walk, even if it is just up and down the driveway.  Also stretching, even if you feel so sick….it is so important.

Marie :smitten:

• 1 month later...

I might seruosuly have to considr updosing a significant amount as i am desperate need of med. attention and need to get out. any positive things to say? i have cos of mu health problems and cant manage them anymore. i cannot lie sit walk extreme pain and still have 7mg of v to taper and my health problems are getting worse.

Edit: Content

I’m so sorry to hear of your other health issues, what dose do you feel you would be more functional on, would 10 mgs do the trick? Do you have enough to updose, will your doctor support?

i have no idea, but i desp. need to get back into life to get the health issues that the benzo been covering up. they are severe. so for me, no option but to keep going up until i get out. drs dont think i have a chocie but im devastated as its taken me 2 years to cut 13mg.

I’m so sorry but it sounds like you really need to do this but maybe you won’t have to go on too much more in order to get stable. 

ive been microdosing v v slowly over last 2 years aand havent stablised once. wondering if its the microdosing thats causing this. have i fudged this whole ting up? updose? long hold? i feel so stupid but i never have felt drawn to change anything esp. when i never stablised after a month. now im angry because my body has been shoutijng at me and ive been ignoring it. its got so bad i wana go all the way bacj up and start again.

If you do decide to updose, you might find the Miscellaneous Notes section of the web page linked below of interest.  The page is from Dr. Reg Peart’s Benzodiazepine Withdrawal Support web site.  Peart was a benzodiazepine withdrawal survivor who then dedicated himself to helping other individuals who wished to discontinue their benzodiazepines. He died in 2009 but his work lives on via his website.

In situations where high tolerance withdrawal has occurred i.e., someone has stayed on the same dose for several months or simply ‘hit the wall’ as we sometimes call it, these people can consider updosing.  How much and how fast is going to be very variable but a very general rule would be to updose 1-2 mg per day for 2-3 days and see how one feels at that point.  (This is speaking to the person on Valium only.) 

One of the biggest problems with updosing is when it doesn’t help.  This is usually seen in the person who is creeping the dose up too slowly in the hopes they will feel better without having to increase too much.  This is often a mistake and actually allows the tolerance w/d to literally follow the person up as they increase the dose; thus pretty much insuring a failed updose situation. 

Source:

http://www.benzosupport.org/crossover_schedules.htm

(Scroll down the page to the section titled Micellaneous Notes.)

ok, but wht does he mean, as in, someone should dose quickly up to a higher amount to mitigate that happening?

Per the text quoted, “… a very general rule would be to updose 1-2 mg per day for 2-3 days and see how one feels at that point. (This is speaking to the person on Valium only.)”

Edit: Added caveat re: Valium