Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Benzo Struggling

[Jl...]

Hi, I am joining Benzo Buddies because I am totally struggling with my taper of Klonopin. I’ve been on Klonopin for 2 years but prior to that I was on Xanax for 7 years. I was switched to Klonopin when the Xanax was no longer working. My dose I started tapering from was 2mg just in the morning at that time. I was advised by my doctor to just stop taking them if I wanted off. I made it 12 days by the grace of god. It was pure hell! I reinstated because I couldn’t function for my family or my job like that. Doctor then advised me to taper over a 6 week period. I did that and was off for 3 days white knuckling it the whole time. That’s when I found a support group on Facebook and learned how many mistakes I had made throughout the process. So again I reinstated but only to a 1 mg dose. I started my own taper and I’m currently at .25in the am and .25in the pm.

Hello Jleedavis21  :hug:  welcome to BenzoBuddies! 

We’re glad you joined our community, I am sorry you’ve had such a difficult time after being given bad advice.  You’ve done well to start your own taper,  we can help you get through it.  We do get some symptoms, but remember that they are temporary and will go away.  Please browse the boards and post questions, our members are caring and supportive.  You will come out the other side, life will get better.

I'll leave you some links to resources:

Planning Your Withdrawal(TaperPlans)

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidelines

Klonopin Klub

Withdrawal Support   

You are probably already familiar with  Ashton’s Manual, I found it to be a very valuable resource for learning about benzos and the effect they have on our body.  I’m so grateful to her, It was  reassuring for me seeing the list of  possible withdrawal symptoms and learning they are temporary. symptoms

The Ashton Manual

If you would like to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita

Hi Jlee,  I am in a somewhat similar place but more than anything I need to talk to others, whether it's to help them with encouragement, or to find encouragement.  First, I am very new here myself but wanted to welcome you and let you know that there are many of us and I think this is such a good place to find that out.

I read some things this a.m. on the site that might be of help to you because it helped me so much.  My first time trying to wean off 35 years of 1 mg only of clonazapam was so bad I went back on it.  I even had the whole left-side of my body go numb and got hauled to ER.  It's a long story but I read Colin's story at the link I'll put below.  I had never in over 2 years found any doctor, or anyone at all that knew about what happened to me (after all the tests I've had run).

Anyway, I'm getting a bit off track so I'll first put Colin's link to his story, and I read about 5 others starting at the top of the list.  It helped me sooo much:

I hope this link works, if not, let me know:  http://www.benzobuddies.org/about-us/meet-the-team#colin

This link I'll add too since it helped me a bunch as well.  I never researched the drug until now, not like I am now anyway:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=232042.msg2977793#msg2977793

I will be on here a lot so please don't hesitate to reply.  Right now, I am trying to figure out how to do the teeniest percentage of a dose as I don't want to take the chance of having another "numbness" issue.  Today I started doing just 10% of the 1 mg clonazapam as I was doing a 25% cut and think it is too much.  Hope to talk with you soon Jlee  :)

Welcome to the boards -- although I hate you feel you need us. Use the experience here. Learn from it. Implement it. No question is too small. You'll get through this!

Hi, I am joining Benzo Buddies because I am totally struggling with my taper of Klonopin. I’ve been on Klonopin for 2 years but prior to that I was on Xanax for 7 years. I was switched to Klonopin when the Xanax was no longer working. My dose I started tapering from was 2mg just in the morning at that time. I was advised by my doctor to just stop taking them if I wanted off. I made it 12 days by the grace of god. It was pure hell! I reinstated because I couldn’t function for my family or my job like that. Doctor then advised me to taper over a 6 week period. I did that and was off for 3 days white knuckling it the whole time. That’s when I found a support group on Facebook and learned how many mistakes I had made throughout the process. So again I reinstated but only to a 1 mg dose. I started my own taper and I’m currently at .25in the am and .25in the pm.

Hi- You have found the right place to be. You will find all kinds of support here.  It is a shame your doctor gave you such bad advice, and unfortunately you aren’t the first.  What are you struggling with the most right now?  How are you reducing your dosage, a cut and hold method or a daily taper method?

Marie

Hi Jlee,  I am in a somewhat similar place but more than anything I need to talk to others, whether it's to help them with encouragement, or to find encouragement.  First, I am very new here myself but wanted to welcome you and let you know that there are many of us and I think this is such a good place to find that out.

I read some things this a.m. on the site that might be of help to you because it helped me so much.  My first time trying to wean off 35 years of 1 mg only of clonazapam was so bad I went back on it.  I even had the whole left-side of my body go numb and got hauled to ER.  It's a long story but I read Colin's story at the link I'll put below.  I had never in over 2 years found any doctor, or anyone at all that knew about what happened to me (after all the tests I've had run).

Anyway, I'm getting a bit off track so I'll first put Colin's link to his story, and I read about 5 others starting at the top of the list.  It helped me sooo much:

I hope this link works, if not, let me know:  http://www.benzobuddies.org/about-us/meet-the-team#colin

This link I'll add too since it helped me a bunch as well.  I never researched the drug until now, not like I am now anyway:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=232042.msg2977793#msg2977793

I will be on here a lot so please don't hesitate to reply.  Right now, I am trying to figure out how to do the teeniest percentage of a dose as I don't want to take the chance of having another "numbness" issue.  Today I started doing just 10% of the 1 mg clonazapam as I was doing a 25% cut and think it is too much.  Hope to talk with you soon Jlee  :)

Hi- It was so nice of you to offer those links and the encouragement as well.  This is just such a great forum.  Finding the right % is so essential so that we don’t get into trouble with bad sx.  If you are doing the cut and hold method, you can always divide your 10% into 2 over the month, so that you only would cut 5% at a time.  25% is definitely a big cut  ;D….. I can only do about 7-8% a month or I find myself in trouble. Ugh…lol

Marie