Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Another Problem I Didn't Expect

[Th...]

I started using Lorazepam about 18 months ago for sleep after weekly chemo  treatments.

I am joining Buddies looking for support and ideas on how to best manage stopping my use of lorazepam.

My current dose is 0.5 mg at bedtime (sometimes 0.25mg). The highest I used was 1.0 mg; so I have started my taper, and am surprised that quitting is so difficult with this low dose. 

Hello Thinker1 :hug:  Welcome to Benzobuddies, 

We are glad you joined the forum.  I am so sorry you have to go through this after what you've already been through.  I know withdrawal from these drugs is not easy, but I promise you will get through it and you'll get plenty of support here.  Slow taper is the best with benzodiazepines, you will learn more about taper methods if you check out the taper plans board.  It’s suggested to reduce between 5/10% every 10/14 days. You can slow it down, taper at a rate that’s suitable for you, whatever feels comfortable.    Please feel free to check out the resources and  post questions for members to respond, our members are very caring and supportive.

A good resource about benzodiazepines is the Ashton Manual, finding the manual was a huge part of me getting well again.  It took away a lot of fear, and helped me to keep going.  It’s  great for learning about benzodiazepines and the effects they have on the body, CHAPTER III , reassured me that  the withdrawal symptoms were temporary.

Here a few links to resources:

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

The Ashton Manual 

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidelines

If you would like to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Please let us know If you have any questions.

Welcome Aboard

Magrita

Hi,

Its been some time since I have been on Benzo Buddies and that is because I was able to put the withdrawal behind me with the help and support of the people on this forum. At first I was not even sure what was happening when I tried to stop Ativan cold turkey. This website is an outstanding resource. It takes time to go back to feeling your normal self, but it will happen for you! Go slow and know that every day is progress towards feeling 100 percent.  Best to you!