Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Is it better to have company for dinner or to eat alone?

[re...]

52701960064_89f0467a25_o.png

Throughout this long ordeal I've been all alone, stuck in the house all day (except for work), locked up like a prisoner in a cell, barely able to sneak out after dark to get the mail. But still, I do my own cleaning (though not often), my own laundry (I only ever wear three or four things), and my own cooking (from can to microwave to bowl). I even manage to drag myself to the store and shop for my own food (same old shit every day). I run in and I run out and I try not to look at anyone - because I really don't care about anyone. It's just too stressful dealing with people, so it's probably better to keep to myself. But it can get a bit lonely, especially since I don't have a dog or a cat or any pets at all, not even a fish, just a frozen chicken in the fridge, which is not really good company, even thawed out - although sometimes a bug will follow me in from outside, just a little fly, and it will buzz around, and I'll hear it while I'm flipping through the paper, and I'll look up and see it sitting on the wall, rubbing its little feet together, wiping its great big eyes, just washing up for dinner, I guess. And it's funny, but I'll start to feel like I'm not alone anymore, you know? Like I actually have some company, someone to talk to, even if it's just a dumb little bug. So I'll say, Well hi there, little fly. What's your name, hmmm? Como te llamas? Wie heißt du denn, meine kleine Fliege? 屋蝇 Oh? Your name is Wu-ying? Well, that's a fine name, for a fly. And you - I can see you've come a long way, you must be very hungry. So tell me, what would you like for dinner tonight? Same old shit? Well, what a coincidence! That's just what we're having! And we'll go on like that for a while, talking back and forth, trying several different languages - because who can tell where a fly might be from? I've seen them on buses and trains and even jet planes. They might be from anywhere. But I find they usually understand German, for some reason - especially the Hamburger dialect - and they seem to enjoy Fußball. So we'll talk about that, die Weltmeisterschaft und was weiter, and we'll share a bit of dinner - they don't eat much, even if they're very hungry, and they always clean up after themselves - and I may even pour some wine - they seem to prefer liebfraumilch or chablis - or really anything in a box - and we'll polish that off, just the two of us. A squeeze of cheese, a box of wine, and Thou, my love... It's a bit strange, but it's a nice change. And then later, after we've cleared the table and drained the box, the damn little pest will start fussing and flitting about and stressing me out, so I'll roll up the paper and swat it - which is why I think it might be best to finish my recovery alone.

Edit: corrected a typo

I’m laughing but should I be?  Are you redevan, the clever and irreverent long time BenzoBuddies member whom I’ve come to expect the unexpected from or are you showing a different part of yourself?  Nope, I’m thinking you’re still redevan.  :laugh:

I”m with Pamster and WinnieDog  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:.  Thank you for ending my day with a chuckle, redevan. (I do feel a dash of weltschmerz over the fate of your dinner companion though.)

• 4 weeks later...
Amazing. Thank you for sharing this brilliant piece of writing with us. It truly captures something about the loneliness during this and overall the absurdity of it all, but also the laser like focus we have for the smallest moments in life that we might have taken for granted before this ordeal.

• 2 months later...

Haha I love nature, all of it and i talk to the birds, flies, bugs etc allllll the time.The only difference to you is I dont kill anything anymore, I just pick them up and pop them out of the window if they're ' bugging' me.

It was a cute little story, thank you 🤗👍

It's interesting that your friend prefers German. My husband and I lived in Japan for a while. Whenever the German clients would come into town, my husband's Japanese co-workers would beg him to come into meetings with them; they were afraid of the Germans. When the Germans spoke, it sounded like they were yelling at them.

So I think either your fly is very courageous, or he really and truly is German.

I'm not sure Wu-ying was honest in everything. Who can fathom the mind of a fly? But at least he stopped by.

Yeah, that's the thing about flies. They're always rubbing their hands together and looking around. Ya kinda know they're planning something . . .

I think the kinder way to euthanize a fly or anyone for that matter would be drowning in the red wine.  :laugh:

Evan u crack me up  :laugh:

• 3 months later...