Important Survey - Please Participate ×

6 months off of ativan that I had been taking for 2 years

[wi...]

Hi there,

I took my last dose of Ativan on July 13th 2022. I have been dealing with ongoing post acute withdrawal symptoms after getting through many of the acute symptoms. I am really struggling with either histamine intolerance or mast cell activation syndrome, which I did not have prior to taking benzos. I also still have episodes of depersonalization, general anxiety and panic attacks. I hope to hear from others and be able to learn a few things. Thanks, Phil

Hello windowsandwaves, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I’m glad to hear you have 6 months behind you but it sounds like you’re still pretty miserable.  I was so disappointed when that 6 month anniversary came around and I wasn’t recovered, time practically stands still while we’re recovering.

I’ll provide some links to help you find your way around the forum, you’ll find many in your same circumstances so hopefully this will give you some comfort.

Pamster

Ashton Manual symptom list

Post-withdrawal Recovery Support

• 2 months later...

Hi Rebecca and Pamster,

Sorry just responding. Thank you, Pamster for the links. You are right about time standing still. I never thought it would end tbh.

Rebecca, I took minimum 1.25 mg of ativan daily for two years. When I think about it, most days, it was more than that, probably because I had inter-dose withdrawal. I tapered down to 0 in two months. I would have done longer but I had a supply issue (I live in West Africa). Eight months after jumping off I can say that the worst symptoms dissipated. The worst for me were akathisia and depersonalization episodes. I shudder thinking about them.

Now I am more than 9 months off, and I am still struggling with mast cell activation/histamine intolerance. It is not quite the same nightmare as many of the other PAWS, but it is certainly complicating my life.

You are 6 months off now? How is it going?

Hi Rebecca and Pamster,

Sorry just responding. Thank you, Pamster for the links. You are right about time standing still. I never thought it would end tbh.

Rebecca, I took minimum 1.25 mg of ativan daily for two years. When I think about it, most days, it was more than that, probably because I had inter-dose withdrawal. I tapered down to 0 in two months. I would have done longer but I had a supply issue (I live in West Africa). Eight months after jumping off I can say that the worst symptoms dissipated. The worst for me were akathisia and depersonalization episodes. I shudder thinking about them.

Now I am more than 9 months off, and I am still struggling with mast cell activation/histamine intolerance. It is not quite the same nightmare as many of the other PAWS, but it is certainly complicating my life.

You are 6 months off now? How is it going?

You don’t even want to know how difficult this has been. My recent posts say it all.