Taper schedule

[fo...]

I haven’t slept in 9 days and can’t wrap my head around anything at all. I would just give absolutely anything to have a taper schedule I understand going from 1.5 mg clonazepam to eventual 0 by 5-10% with 2 weeks at each dose unless I need to hold. I hear of micro stirring and filing and I’m lost. I usually just close the app because my brain can’t wrap itself around this. I can’t imagine spending each morning filing off amounts of pills to get where I need to go. Liquid sounded easy but it still confuses me. I know I can get 0.5 tabs, yes. But I’d still need to entirely file these it sounds like. The directness of the Ashton method sounds so wonderful but that crossover does not. I can’t wrap my head around beginning until I have a plan and I can’t get there. I’m very VERY worried about my mental state right now as is my family. Something has to give. If I were only wealthy I’d go down to Malibu to the treatment center that uses the Ashton method. But….I’m not. I read a persons post earlier who just filed off .01 every day. He said it was a walk in the park. I’m confused! I just want a dropper I can use it better yet pulls in the strength I need for 2 weeks time and not have all this additional stress. I have many chronic illnesses so I’m running on low here. Any help with possible schedules would be a huge blessing!

Will your doctor write you a prescription for .125 pills, if you had these you could taper by cutting your tablets for quite awhile, this is your simplest option.  If you can get the pills, we can help you write out your taper plan.

Jelly baby please explain to me how you do this dry manual taper?? I’m SO confused. Jewelers scales etc I’m just overwhelmed. So you shave off that amount?  I just can’t get there with this slow taper info and fear I’ll end up going to a detox and going too quickly. I’m at the end of my rope here. Thank you

Based on everything you've discussed on this thread, I think your best option is to use a compounding liquid. I have used 3 methods and in my opinion the easiest method to wrap your head around is liquid, especially if you get it compounded. I can see you have a lot of fear and anxiety and using a scale and shaving requires a lot of patience and time. It might not be the best option in your specific circumstances. If you can get a pharmacist to make you a liquid, half the battle is won because you don't have to do anything other than work out your cuts. Libertas has given you some great advice on how to select a compounding pharmacist here.

Once you have your liquid Clonazepam we will help you calculate your cuts. We will show you how to do it and we will work with you on the maths. How does that sound?

I’m not navigating this forum well. I’m just not thinking clear enough. I don’t even know what other thread you speak of and it’s definitely me…..not you.

I’m on 1 mg clonazepam and I want to taper at 5-10% I suppose? The micro cutting and scales confuse me and I have watched the videos. It just overwhelms me and I see me getting frustrated and not knowing how to proceed with it. I don’t know where or how to even begin a liquid taper. The Ashton method looks so much easier as far as doses etc but switching from clonazepam to diazepam frightens me, I just need a plan stat and have been stuck not knowing how to proceed for 3 months. I also am not at all a math person. I just need a laid out plan and help with the method. Im too scared I will end up in detox and fried. Thank you so much

Jelly baby yes, thank you. I do feel I would have more long term success using the liquid to taper. I don’t know what strength to be asking for? Does my doctor write a script for that and I take it to a trustworthy compounding pharmacy? I’ll do both of those things. I just need what strength of liquid and a taker plan that allows me to go from 1 mg clonazepam to eventually 0 with 5% cuts? (I don’t know if 10 is doable early on?) I want to make it as smoothie as possible. My health isn’t the greatest and I have to be cautious.

If I can get help on what strength of liquid/quantity and taper schedule? I’m just not mentally in a place to figure it all out right now. Thank you so much

formy4kids -

I hear you. I have 2 kids and its so tough to taper while taking care of kids (and working, and life, and all that!) But YOU CAN DO IT! I promise!

If you move to a liquid, talk to a compounding pharmacy. Just call around in your area to ask who might be able to make a liquid Klonopin. They will work out the amount with your doctor. Like they could do something like 10 ml as your dose which could be equal to your 1mg tablet... then every day (or as you feel up to it) you just go down on the syringe a tiny bit, like 1 hash mark... Right now I'm on 1ml of a liquid that is dosed at 0.041mg (meaning if I took the entire 1ml syringe, I'm taking 0.041mg, but I drop a little tiny bit every day) They can create a liquid to be based on your current dose and tell you how to decrease the amount using a syringe. Does that help?

Option two is to get the 0.125mg tablets. You'd start by taking 8 of those (that equals 1mg) and then you could quarter or half a pill and hold, and half a pill and hold and slowly go down to 7 pills, then 6, etc. I'd recommend talking to your doctor on what they recommend. But there are lots of ways to avoid using a scale and make this a little easier to follow, all while taking it slow to help your system process as you reduce. One step at a time!! You can do this!

Thank you so much. The second option sounds like something I could definitely wrap my head around! The only issue would be making certain I’m not cutting more than I should be as I go along so to not bring on awful withdrawal symptoms. For example when I’m down to 4 pills, how to make certain I’m not doing more than I should. If I make sure I stay around 5 percent I should be ok but it won’t be down to the eighth decimal point like dry tapering with a scale. Do you think that would be a problem? You are so kind to help me I thank you! I’ve been stuck because I haven’t had a way forward. This is helping.

Hi formy4kids

The only issue would be making certain I’m not cutting more than I should be as I go along so to not bring on awful withdrawal symptoms.

This would be your problem. This option involves linear reductions, meaning the percentages will continually increase as you go down. I fear that it may be too big reductions for you and if you then want to make smaller reductions you'll end up having to use a scale anyways. I still think the best option is to get the compounded solution from your doctor. If you can get it at 0.1mg/ml it will be fairly easy to calculate and all you need to do is pull it up in a syringe and dose.

I agree with JB that over time it’ll be tougher to keep the percentages low without a scale, but the first step to any journey is just that… the first step. And if you’re struggling to figure out that first step, using the 0.125mg tablets might be able to help you get started. Then you would want to reevaluate once you’re starting to reduce and see how you feel and in a better headspace and see if liquid might be easier over time or scale and dry cutting.

I did pill cutting until I got to 0.041mg and then had to move to liquid since my scale wasn’t high quality enough for the super low doses. But I got a $40ish scale from Amazon and I would cut for the week all at once and use a weekly pill holder to put each day of the week in. And that worked well for me for awhile.

But to start, if you got 8 of those .125mg tablets and cut one in half (took 7.5 of them for a week or two to see how you feel) it gets you started (6.5% cut). Or you can quarter them with a pill splitter pretty easily to start even lower (3% cut). Eventually you’d need a scale to be more accurate, but if this helps you get started without a lot of math, it could be an option to consider to get the ball rolling!