Important Survey - Please Participate ×

What do we all have in common?

[...]

Hi, Buddies.  I got thinking today about how some people can just quit benzos with far less difficulty than we seem to have.  There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to whether it's related to dose, length of time on the drug, age, underlying problem, etc.  It just seems so random.  But, then I got wondering if there was anything that we have in common that makes it so hard for us.  I know there is a theory that it is a genetic issue, and that may be true, but it just seems so broad and not very satisfying a reason.  Does anyone have a pet theory as to what is behind our problems quitting a benzo?  Any and all replies/guesses are fine.  This isn't a test.  Just brainstorming here.  Thanks, ~~mbr

Polypharmacy drugging perhaps?  I know the psychiatrists poly-drugged me with just about every antidepressant known to man and some mood stabilizers at one time or another.  Not sure if that applies to the majority though.

• 1 month later...

mbr~

I haven't seen the statistics on how many people have a hard time getting off of benzo's as opposed to those that don't.

It must be complicated by individual brain chemistry and how tightly the benzo's bind to the GABA receptor's....but in my opinion I think there are a lot more people who have difficult withdraws that we don't hear about and they may not even know they had a w/d. They may just think they have a problem with anxiety...or they think they've had a breakdown. I have so much empathy for people who are on benzo's who haven't learned they are not alone in their experiences.

mbr~

I haven't seen the statistics on how many people have a hard time getting off of benzo's as opposed to those that don't.

It must be complicated by individual brain chemistry and how tightly the benzo's bind to the GABA receptor's....but in my opinion I think there are a lot more people who have difficult withdraws that we don't hear about and they may not even know they had a w/d. They may just think they have a problem with anxiety...or they think they've had a breakdown. I have so much empathy for people who are on benzo's who haven't learned they are not alone in their experiences.

I couldn't agree more with this. We have genetics in common in that for some of us the GABA receptor gets more compromised by a benzo. What is happening in our systems that have these types of genetics? Good question.

I agree many do not know they had a withdrawal and think it's them, and it's withdrawal off, or tolerance while on. Thus anxiety.

Underlying conditions? Many of weren't taking benzodiazipines for that, and the host of physical symptoms being neurologicaly incapacitating from downreguated GABA receptor are why we are here.

IMO this whole deal just boil down to genetics. And I agree with Perseverance the cocktails that people are put on as a result of the benzos or for other reasons interferes again and make and add more trauma to the brain.

Nicollete and Vancouvergirl,

You both describe me to a tee! Since 1989, I have been on just about every anti-depressant there is, as well as ativan for 3 months and K on and off.  I knew NOTHING about w'd, and so I c/t'ed from high doses of Neuronton, cymbalta and others.  I felt INSANE, but figured that was just me off drugs.  My docs never clued me in, and it was always attributed to my "depression" "extreme history of abuse" ...never to the drugs themselves.

I try not to think about all the lost time, all the pain, w/d,side effects and more because it gets me nowhere right now.  (But it is so hard--that pain is right under the surface and HUGE!) But I also lost a great deal more.

I have written about my sister a bit here in the past.  She was addicted to ativan, and in 1997 wound up in the hospital with a seizure.  after a week or so on librium, she was discharged. She was sooo sick, but no one really understood what was going on.  She ended up committing suicide 9 months later.

Unfortunately,I think there are many more stories like my sister and myself.  I cannot express well enough just how important BB's is--it is truly a lifesaver.  I wish it was around for my sister, and I am so grateful I stumbled on this., when in sheer desperation, I searched the web in search of answers.

mbr--I think there are great variables and some folks can seemingly get free without too many issues.  Perhaps when the medical community embraces w/d and all it entails, there can be some real gathering of data and more. We can only hope.

Blessings,

itzsweird

Nicollete and Vancouvergirl,

You both describe me to a tee! Since 1989, I have been on just about every anti-depressant there is, as well as ativan for 3 months and K on and off.  I knew NOTHING about w'd, and so I c/t'ed from high doses of Neuronton, cymbalta and others.  I felt INSANE, but figured that was just me off drugs.  My docs never clued me in, and it was always attributed to my "depression" "extreme history of abuse" ...never to the drugs themselves.

I try not to think about all the lost time, all the pain, w/d,side effects and more because it gets me nowhere right now.  (But it is so hard--that pain is right under the surface and HUGE!) But I also lost a great deal more.

I have written about my sister a bit here in the past.  She was addicted to ativan, and in 1997 wound up in the hospital with a seizure.  after a week or so on librium, she was discharged. She was sooo sick, but no one really understood what was going on.  She ended up committing suicide 9 months later.

Unfortunately,I think there are many more stories like my sister and myself.  I cannot express well enough just how important BB's is--it is truly a lifesaver.  I wish it was around for my sister, and I am so grateful I stumbled on this., when in sheer desperation, I searched the web in search of answers.

mbr--I think there are great variables and some folks can seemingly get free without too many issues.  Perhaps when the medical community embraces w/d and all it entails, there can be some real gathering of data and more. We can only hope.

Blessings,

itzsweird

itzweird,

I am so very sorry for the loss of your sister, I cannot imagine how hard that must have been for you and your family. My deep condolences to you.

It is so difficult when people don't understand what is going on, that is for sure. I think my family must have questioned my sanity when they saw me go through a cold turkey off of Xanax. Fortunately my sister has a medical background and I and she knew straight up that I wouldn't be able to handle going off as fast as I did because I had complicated the Xanax with drinking wine daily--but even then neither of us were really prepared for it--fortunately the fine medical staff at the hospital were.

I think for a few years my family still didn't know what to make of it, but FINALLY when I found BB I was able to figure out what was going on with me and explain benzo dependency and withdrawals to them.

I feel that I just stumbled upon this site myself and you wouldn't believe how relieved I was when I did.

In a way, I feel like a great weight was lifted off my shoulders because I wasn't sure what was going on with me either. I was diagnosed with PTSD but I truly wonder if it was partly from the benzos themselves.

Like you I was struggling on my own trying to figure out how to taper, and I was making a mess of it....I'm very glad to have this forum.

I see you are now benzo free! Congratulations and peace to you.

mbr~

I couldn't agree more with this. We have genetics in common in that for some of us the GABA receptor gets more compromised by a benzo. What is happening in our systems that have these types of genetics? Good question.

I agree many do not know they had a withdrawal and think it's them, and it's withdrawal off, or tolerance while on. Thus anxiety.

Underlying conditions? Many of weren't taking benzodiazipines for that, and the host of physical symptoms being neurologicaly incapacitating from downreguated GABA receptor are why we are here.

IMO this whole deal just boil down to genetics. And I agree with Perseverance the cocktails that people are put on as a result of the benzos or for other reasons interferes again and make and add more trauma to the brain.

Vancouvergirl,

I do think you are right that genetics and biochemistry have a lot to do with it. That's why I think it is a moral imperative for benzos and the Z drugs (and probably most of the psych drugs) be regulated more heavily and with stronger warnings in the Patient Information sheets---because who knows which people are going to be more vulnerable to these medications?

As far as underlying medical conditions--many people have initially been prescribed benzos when they had medical conditions, or were in an an acute traumatic situation and should have only been prescribed them for a very short time.

And I agree with Perseverance in that often these cocktails have a direct co-relation to chronic physiological benzodiazepine dependency.

mbr~ as itzweird says, one can only hope there will be more studies and data coming forth on benzodiazepines in the future so there will be less suffering in this. Thank you for asking this question.

[40...]

Hi, Buddies.  I got thinking today about how some people can just quit benzos with far less difficulty than we seem to have.  There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to whether it's related to dose, length of time on the drug, age, underlying problem, etc.  It just seems so random.  But, then I got wondering if there was anything that we have in common that makes it so hard for us.  I know there is a theory that it is a genetic issue, and that may be true, but it just seems so broad and not very satisfying a reason.  Does anyone have a pet theory as to what is behind our problems quitting a benzo?  Any and all replies/guesses are fine.  This isn't a test.  Just brainstorming here.  Thanks, ~~mbr

mbr,

Take a look at this thread I started before I saw yours.  This is my theory now...that the ones having the hardest time are people with exhausted adrenals.  I know that many people are diagnosed with adrenal fatigue after bw, but I'm suggesting that it is the underlying condition that most, if not all, BB's share in common...the underlying, indirect, reason for them to to be prescribed benzos in the first place.  I see so many people on here that mention previous problems with alcoholism,asthma, chronic fatigue, hormonal imbalance along with the adrenal fatigue sx of insomnia, anxiety and depression.

So, if this theory is correct, anyone with histories of allergies, asthma, hormonal imbalance, alcoholism...people who exercise to the extreme...or anyone showing low cortisol levels on a saliva test would specifically be warned against taking a benzodiazepine.

If this theory is correct and adrenal fatigue is the underlying condition, then much can be done in terms of nutrition and rest...James Wilson has his supplement suggestions but Adelle Davis used to talk about using liver and green leafy veggies to support the adrenals and Sally Fallon and Mary Enig have a book out called Eat Fat, Lose Fat  which has a Health Recovery diet in it which relies on nutrient-dense, highly digestable foods and not supplements.  Of course, sugar, simple carbs and caffeine need to go.

I think it takes some time to strengthen the adrenal glands even for someone not experiencing bw...so it is still a matter of time for healing to take place for those already suffering. 

So that's my theory or guess...what do you think?

puffin :smitten:

puffin, I almost left you a message on your other thread to come over and check this one out. :D You know sometimes the moderators can move threads. Maybe one of them can combine these two. I think it would make for a very interesting thread! :)

Itsweird, I am so sorry to hear about your sister. Tragic. And you've been through much as well. I am hoping you are feeling confidence in the process that we heal.

Interesting thread mbr.

First of all, thank you for the kind words and thoughts.  There isn't a day that goes by that I do not miss my sister.  And Nicolette, I am soo glad you did have your sister there for you and also found this website.  It is truly amazing to find BB's isn't it?

Again, I think this is a terrific question.  Perhaps with folks like us, educating one another and our doctors we can raise awareness, which will move the wheels along.  (though my cynical side only sees this outcome if there is profit$ for PHRma in this somehow :()

Have a good one!

itzsweird