Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Quitting Remeron

[Na...]

I am a little over 2 months off of Benzo's and feel it is time to stop my Remeron.  I have read several places on line where some people have almost no withdrawal side effects from this medication when coming off.  Has anybody had any experience discontinuing this medication?  I was put on it as an added medication back in October when the doctors "thought" they were helping.  Nobody really knew that I was in the middle of Benzo Tolerance.  So, have been on it for almost 7 months and would like to get off quickly.  Any experiences? 

[dc...]

Natron,

I was on 15mg of Remeron for a long time. I c/t it before my Benzo Taper. I had no problems coming off Remeron, though- everyone is different, and I do not suggest a c/t. Just my experience with it.

I took it for sleep and depression BTW.

S#

Its just a strange drug.  30mg is when it starts its antidepressant effects or that is what the doc states, and less than that it becomes more of a sleep aid.  I never have had insomnia or depression prior to benzo troubles.  Paxil has always kept my anxiety in check.  Just weighing my options...

Hi Natron247

I've heard that some people have had a hard time coming off Remeron. I took it briefly for only 7 days and quit without a problem, but I think you may feel better to taper off if you've been on it for awhile.

star

Im trying to come off it now as well and this is definitely decreasing my sleep. I think you should try cutting your dose in half for one night and see if it affects you much.

Ive managed to get it to 30 from 45 but couldnt sleep much so screwewed up my taper for a few days now.

But thats me.

please let me know what you do.

thanks

I decided to just not take another dose of Remeron after my last pill Sunday (6/5) night.  I went to the pharmacy and added Tylenol PM last night and it did seem to help.  The prior night, I didn't sleep hardly at all.  So I am 4 days off a cold turkey of 30mg and everything for the moment has been ok besides the sleep.  I have had some minor anxiety but I am functioning and working fine.  Hopefully I will continue this way.

Natron

Yeah, I spoke to soon.  I have had some significant anxiety for most of the day today.  Definitely feeling the affects of the Remeron right now.  What sucks is that I don't know if it is the Remeron for sure or just a normal Benzo wave...  Man, I wish I wouldn't have done this to myself, but I am stubborn. 

Wellness - how long did your withdrawal from Remeron last?

Remeron was a nitemare for me.  they put me on it to get off Benzo.  Idiots.  I'm one to for trusting them.  I made it off and so will you.  Stay strong  Linder

Linder,

So did you cold turkey or taper?  How long did the bad withdrawal from Remeron last for you?  From what I have read it is "suppose" to be one of the easiest AD's to discontinue....?

I was 3 months on, 6 months to get off.  I tapered down to 3.5 mg.  till the dr. pulled me off.  Never knew if I healed or not or how long.  Started the benzo taper 3 months after Remeron.  I wasn't feeling so good.  I blame some on tolerance to the benzo.  All I know is Remeron is nasty so you be careful.  Did you really CT from 30mg.  Linder

I got down from 45-60 in the last 2 weeks and I definitely noticed it. took about 25 last night and not much difference from the 30, I m not trying for 15 for a few days at  least.

I had to reinstate.  Yes I did try and cold turkey from 30mg.  Very, very ignorant.  Still not feeling great, but better than I was Friday night and early Saturday morning.  I am not going to mess with any of my medicines until I get through the benzo withdrawal.  This is just awful.

[dc...]

I had to reinstate.  Yes I did try and cold turkey from 30mg.  Very, very ignorant.  Still not feeling great, but better than I was Friday night and early Saturday morning.  I am not going to mess with any of my medicines until I get through the benzo withdrawal.  This is just awful.

Natron,

Hang in there. I tried to cold-turkey Risperdal back in March, and it sent me for a loop.

I never had problems when I c/t the Remeron. Of course I wasn't tapering either.

I would definitely wait until after withdrawal. :)

S#

I appreciate it Sigma.  Yeah, I can't deal with a double withdrawal right now.  As much as I want to be medicine free I have to be smart about it.  My first step is clearing out the benzos. 

[dc...]

That's my goal too.

Then I will tackle the Risperdal.

I think if I was still on Remeron, and tried to c/t it now.. it would amp my withdrawal up.

Don't need that.

It's never a good idea IMO to try to taper two meds at once, or c/t one in withdrawal.

Remeron is nasty.  It workds on alot of receptors.  I tapered the Remeron first because anxiety, shakes were real bad from it.  Even hallucinated from it.  I used a gram scale and got down to 3.5 and then had trouble.  I was scraping the pill to get a reading, which wasn't good.  the drug is evenly spread but when you start taking away at the half of it I wasn't get all the drug.  So she cut me off completely.  # months off and 6 months to taper.  Then I started the benzo in July but still think i was having wd from Remeron.  so you have to decide which one is giving you the most trouble.  I wander if you can titrate Remeron.  Linder

[dc...]
I wander if you can titrate Remeron.

Linder, good question.

I would think you'd be able too.

How to Stop Taking Remeron

Your doctor should be recommending that you reduce your dosage by 7.5 - 15mg a day every week if you need to stop taking it, if not more slowly than that. Based on the 20–40 hour half-life.

-  Remeron’s Half-Life & Average Time to Clear Out of Your System

20–40 hours. The average is 26 hours for guys and 37 hours for girls. Girls always take longer. So Remeron is out of a guy’s system in about five days while it’s out of a girl’s in about seven days.

-  Days to Reach a Steady State

Usually five to seven days.

I would wait until after the withdrawal to do this.

S#

Edit: You can also ask your doctor about this.

Thanks for the info.  I am putting things on hold now.  No way I can tackle both of these.  When I do start coming off I am going to do it the right way next time.  No cold turkey!