Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Hurricane Ian

[wa...]

Just checking in those folks dealing with symptoms while also facing hurricane Ian.  It is really tough when upheavals like this happen.  Thinking of you guys.  Check in if you can or want to.

I know some bb's live in FLA.  I know Floridaguy lived near Orlando.  I hope everyone will be alright with this terrible hurricane.  Whoever lives in FLA, let us know how you're doing.  People on the east coast will be impacted by it too, as well.  Georgia, Alabama, the Carolinas, etc.  I live in PA and will probably get some rain from it this weekend.

I live in a small community of Matlacha on the coast near Cape Coral.  Cat 4 Ian is expected to make landfall right where we are.  Winds are horrendous  right now and it is still 100+ miles away.  Our home is at sea level so we are hoping for something to be spared.  We are currently staying in a home with friends about 6 miles from the coast and hope to be able to check out the damage on Thursday.  Needless to say this is not helping my benzo recovery but Matlacha is a strong community and we will be strong for each other.  Appreciate prayers for all that is impacted.

Currently under siege from Ian with projected path making landfall on Pine Island (Matlacha) where we live.  Appreciate all prayers and support from my benzo buddies.

4 or 5 yrs ago went thru hurricane Irma, horrible experience. Tampa Bay Area

Still in FL but different location, I'm scared but I have a good landlord who takes care Of probs

They keep talking about Tornadoes, too.

I'm so glad I'm not near the gulf anymore.

This Hurricane is bringing back bad memories.  :'(

Currently under siege from Ian with projected path making landfall on Pine Island (Matlacha) where we live.  Appreciate all prayers and support from my benzo buddies.

I’m thinking of you, Newb.  Stress really affects withdrawal but it’ll get better-  the water recedes and the wind.  Just hang on and breathe - you’ll make it. Praying that you’re safe, too.

4 or 5 yrs ago went thru hurricane Irma, horrible experience. Tampa Bay Area

Still in FL but different location, I'm scared but I have a good landlord who takes care Of probs

They keep talking about Tornadoes, too.

I'm so glad I'm not near the gulf anymore.

This Hurricane is bringing back bad memories.  :'(

You’re in my thoughts and huge amount of prayers to you and your family!!

Please keep us posted!

The pictures are horrendous.

Hugs.

Winnie

Haven't heard anymore from those who live in Ian's path.  I hope they're alright.  We're supposed to get some rain here too in PA from Ian from it's not supposed to be too much and I pray that isn't.

I'm praying for newbie. I just watched a video on Malacha a FL :(

It's. Devastating. I hope FEMA will help rebuild.

People who just get rain and complain should see the video  :brickwall:

Hurricane Ian here and lots of rain for about four days now.  I feel sorry for people who live around here who don't have good roofs on their homes and end up with roof leaks.  I had a roofover put on a few years ago, so my roof won't leak, but many of my nabes get roof leaks.  Roof leaks can damage your ceilings and even cause it to cave in and also ruin your walls and floors.  I know because I used to get a lot of roof leaks and I have holes in my floors from roof leaks where I had to put plywood down to cover them.

I really hope you are OK.  If you can -- please let us know.

They probably have no electric :(

Newbie pls check in when you're able.

Still getting quite a bit of rain from Ian here in PA.  It just won't leave.  It's good I have a new roof, but I'm sure a lot of nabes have bad leaks who don't have good roofs.

Ian destroyed my area!  That is not good when tapering!  I held during that time, but live 15 miles inland, so only minor damage and 4 days without power!  We have generators, so it was bearable!  The worst part was I had a house full of people staying with me and my poor son was evacuated from college!  I was glad he was home, I was so worried about him!  but he brought a friend from out of state, which is the right thing to do, but just stressed me out and my parents are still staying with me because they have no power. 

I want my house back!  I just started to resume my taper as my son and his friend are safe and sound back at college and I feel stable enough to start tapering again.  I am doing a DMT, so It's slow, thank God. 

I am so over hurricanes!!!!!

Thank you to all who asked about the Ian survivors!!!

Ian destroyed my area!  That is not good when tapering!  I held during that time, but live 15 miles inland, so only minor damage and 4 days without power!  We have generators, so it was bearable!  The worst part was I had a house full of people staying with me and my poor son was evacuated from college!  I was glad he was home, I was so worried about him!  but he brought a friend from out of state, which is the right thing to do, but just stressed me out and my parents are still staying with me because they have no power. 

I want my house back!  I just started to resume my taper as my son and his friend are safe and sound back at college and I feel stable enough to start tapering again.  I am doing a DMT, so It's slow, thank God. 

I am so over hurricanes!!!!!

Thank you to all who asked about the Ian survivors!!!

Wow -- I just can't imagine tapering and being in withdrawal before, during or after a hurricane.  Kudos to you.  I am so glad you were able to get inland.  I have friends who left Tampa when Ian was headed there.  They drove inland but then got stranded in floods.  Ian was so huge!  Hope you're OK

I hope things settle down soon for you, Coop

My hubby and I survived but not our Gulf cottage home.  If you look at pics and see the devastation of Matlacha, Bert’s Bar is completely gone and all of the debris is stacked up over 15 feet around our cottage.  Our living room on the water side was blown off and our houseboat was demolished laying two houses over and our small boat was over on the other side of Bert’s.  Most of the people here, including us, don’t have hurricane insurance as 1) the insurance is way too expensive and 2) so many insurance carriers are no longer here so it is difficult to even find a carrier.

Have not thought too much about benzo recovery with all of this going on.  We have no power, no water and gas lines to fill generators are 3miles long and 3 to 4 hour wait times.

Matlacha was a small fishing community that was so special.  Google it.  It will never be the same.  Only two restaurants survived.

I am so sorry Newbie!  I live down here too, but am inland.  It's just terrible the destruction and the worst part, we didn't' think it was coming for us!! 

Thank you to all who have prayed for us and asked about our well being!

Words cannot describe the pain I feel for you Newbie!  I am so sorry!

Newbie -  Very glad you are OK.  I am so sorry that you lost so much.  You must still be in shock.  I can't believe the pictures of where you live.  I hope you are getting assistance.  We had Fed insurance years ago for flood in N.C.  We sold that house partly due to the stress of hurricanes since we were from NJ

Coop -- has everyone left the house?  Just being around others can be so very taxing in withdrawal.  They have no idea what you are experiencing.

We've had steady rain and clouds for five days now from Ian sitting overtop of us.  It should clear out tomorrow and hopefully get some sunshine again.  I hate rain.

Newbie I'm so sorry you lost so much. I've watched videos of Malatcha, so devastated. Wow

I had no electric for 5 days after hurricane Irma

That was 4 or 5 yrs ago?

You will be excited to see those trucks come!

Ppl in other states have no CLUE what rain is. I just remember it being so loud that when the giant tree fell against our house, I didn't hear it.

I never want to be in rain and wind like that again.

Yes!  Everyone finally left last night!  Praise God!  I ran around the house and was sooooooo happy!!!!!!

Thank you for asking!!!!!

I mean, don't get me wrong, I love my family, but it's just hard to live with them right now.

Thanks for your prayers and understanding!!