Is mental health care turning society into mental health patients?

[Ju...]

I agree, stress is guaranteed to give you waves. Almost anyone on this website can vouch for that, whenever there's a highly stressful predicament and you don't get any exercise to get rid of the internal stress, it builds and somehow throws benzo withdrawal into waves. It sucks, that's why I at least try to go for long walks after a stressful event.

I agree, stress is guaranteed to give you waves. Almost anyone on this website can vouch for that, whenever there's a highly stressful predicament and you don't get any exercise to get rid of the internal stress, it builds and somehow throws benzo withdrawal into waves. It sucks, that's why I at least try to go for long walks after a stressful event.

Oh yes! Long walks are the best, Justin.

I take one or two every day.

I know I was 5 years out, and I had a setback because major stress.

Tried taking a few Benadryls, and BOOM! Blow my brains out. 🧨 derealization for 2 months with some nerve burning. Terrible sh*t.

You have to be careful for years... just take it easy.

I've traveled alot since coming off the medicine. When I traveled on it, I couldn't feel any joy...I was so sick, emotionally.

Travel! Yet stress dooooown!

You seem like a traveler to me, and that's why I say that  😊

I would rather die than take another psychiatric drug. I was on them a good 10, 11 years.

Paxil, Prozac, Ativan, klonopin, Valium, Lithium, Seroquel....

You name it!

I can cope just fine, thank you! 😊

The drugs I have listed are the ones I took the longest.

Stress down and live life. 🥳

Yes I'm definitely becoming a traveler, the more I explore this country the more I see everybody's point of views and the more I learn people's cultures. I'm completely cool with the Backwoods conservative people who don't want to be bothered by the government, and currently I'm totally cool with my City full of people that don't want to be hassled by authoritarian laws either. They both have their benefits.

If I could travel to a couple more places I would go into British Columbia and New Zealand and Norway next. I really like those three areas at the moment and I plan on visiting British Columbia in the next couple months. I'm actually right across the border from British Columbia and I got my enhanced driver's license that acts like a passport so I can travel back and forth by boat or train or car without a passport.

I had a similar experience with the benadryl, I got locked up against my will about 2 years ago and they forced me to take Benadryl through a shot in my arm because I was acting out of line. It threw me into a wave for several months and it even caused serious derealization like hallucinations. I remember everything was wavy and looked like it was watered down with liquid, almost like the covid eye symptoms

I also had a major setback from messing around with different cannabinoids for several months, and then when I quit it was too much stress on my body and it threw me back into acute for about a year. Most likely I would have already healed if it wasn't for the Benadryl and cannabinoids, but it's hard to say because we don't know.

I've got lots of legal marijuana but I can't use it at the moment nor can I enjoy life to the fullest currently because of this benzo withdrawal situation. I'm just going to have to wait and then live life normally again in the near future hopefully. Each time I've experimented with just some regular marijuana, it makes me feel off for a couple days. Like even if I just have an edible, I don't feel right for about a week. It's just not worth it right now, I just want my old self back before taking anything including psychiatric pills and doctor prescribed bs.

Yes I'm definitely becoming a traveler, the more I explore this country the more I see everybody's point of views and the more I learn people's cultures. I'm completely cool with the Backwoods conservative people who don't want to be bothered by the government, and currently I'm totally cool with my City full of people that don't want to be hassled by authoritarian laws either. They both have their benefits.

If I could travel to a couple more places I would go into British Columbia and New Zealand and Norway next. I really like those three areas at the moment and I plan on visiting British Columbia in the next couple months. I'm actually right across the border from British Columbia and I got my enhanced driver's license that acts like a passport so I can travel back and forth by boat or train or car without a passport.

I had a similar experience with the benadryl, I got locked up against my will about 2 years ago and they forced me to take Benadryl through a shot in my arm because I was acting out of line. It threw me into a wave for several months and it even caused serious derealization like hallucinations. I remember everything was wavy and looked like it was watered down with liquid, almost like the covid eye symptoms

I also had a major setback from messing around with different cannabinoids for several months, and then when I quit it was too much stress on my body and it threw me back into acute for about a year. Most likely I would have already healed if it wasn't for the Benadryl and cannabinoids, but it's hard to say because we don't know.

I've got lots of legal marijuana but I can't use it at the moment nor can I enjoy life to the fullest currently because of this benzo withdrawal situation. I'm just going to have to wait and then live life normally again in the near future hopefully. Each time I've experimented with just some regular marijuana, it makes me feel off for a couple days. Like even if I just have an edible, I don't feel right for about a week. It's just not worth it right now, I just want my old self back before taking anything including psychiatric pills and doctor prescribed bs.

Yeah, that's the way Benadryl did me: it sent me into a stupor and derealization with wavy looking environment.

Probably some paradoxical reaction.

I would definitely like to go to NZ: it looks like a very exotic place to visit.

I'm not too familiar with BC. I have heard lots about it, but not familiar at all.

I would peristaltic away from marijuana for a good while. It honestly does nothing for me, but makes me tired.

That's pretty wild that we had the same wavy and blurry eyesight from the benadryl. I remember whenever they gave me the shot against my will, I was already all worked up and stressed out because of the police that were threatening me at the hospital. I thought maybe I threw myself into a wave from the stress, but then I felt the after-effects of the Benadryl for a couple months afterwards. I would say it took a good two and a half months to get back to the way I was feeling prior to the benadryl.

British Columbia is similar to where I live in Washington State because it's right over the border. The western part of British Columbia is the Pacific Ocean and some nice mountain ranges and rivers. There's a lot of snow-capped mountains and Glaciers and Evergreen trees. Vancouver is the biggest city in British Columbia, it's like a nicer version of Seattle. There's a whole lot of islands along this area where I live and up into British Columbia, it's an archipelago.

New Zealand is very similar, mountains and ocean. Actually the climate isn't too much different either, and the architecture has a lot of similarities to the Pacific Northwest as well.

Sometime soon I'm going to walk a couple blocks down to the cruise ship terminal and head to Alaska for a week, maybe this spring. Alaska is kind of like another country but only a couple day boat ride to get there.

I've always wanted to live in Scandinavia, I feel that they have the best quality of life in the world. They work the least amount of hours, they don't have a whole lot of authoritarian government, and supposedly they are the happiest people on earth.

That's pretty wild that we had the same wavy and blurry eyesight from the benadryl. I remember whenever they gave me the shot against my will, I was already all worked up and stressed out because of the police that were threatening me at the hospital. I thought maybe I threw myself into a wave from the stress, but then I felt the after-effects of the Benadryl for a couple months afterwards. I would say it took a good two and a half months to get back to the way I was feeling prior to the benadryl.

British Columbia is similar to where I live in Washington State because it's right over the border. The western part of British Columbia is the Pacific Ocean and some nice mountain ranges and rivers. There's a lot of snow-capped mountains and Glaciers and Evergreen trees. Vancouver is the biggest city in British Columbia, it's like a nicer version of Seattle. There's a whole lot of islands along this area where I live and up into British Columbia, it's an archipelago.

New Zealand is very similar, mountains and ocean. Actually the climate isn't too much different either, and the architecture has a lot of similarities to the Pacific Northwest as well.

Sometime soon I'm going to walk a couple blocks down to the cruise ship terminal and head to Alaska for a week, maybe this spring. Alaska is kind of like another country but only a couple day boat ride to get there.

I've always wanted to live in Scandinavia, I feel that they have the best quality of life in the world. They work the least amount of hours, they don't have a whole lot of authoritarian government, and supposedly they are the happiest people on earth.

Yeah, hopefully by spring, you feel better.

I've heard about many ppl having reactions to Benadryl...even a pharmacist told me it can have paradoxical reactions.

Idk too much about Scandinavia; I've read and heard ppl talk about bits and pieces of it.

It's raining here in NC...very cold rain.

This is supposed to happen in Seattle, not here lol.

That's what they say right? It's pretty funny because everybody is under the assumption that Seattle rains all the time, but we really only get 35 inches average per year, half that of North carolina. North Carolina gets anywhere from 60 to 100 in of rain per year depending on whether or not there's tropical storms.

Most of the winter and spring in Seattle is light Misty Rain that you don't even need an umbrella for, you just need a decent water resistant coat. North Carolina on the other hand, is heavy downpours and Ice storms and tropical storms. The wet season for Seattle is winter time, and the wet season for North Carolina is the summer time, so they're kind of opposite.

We just had 6 months of sunshine in Seattle over the summer and fall, it only rained one or two days the entire 6 months. We actually get Wildfire season in Washington state just like California and Oregon. Instead of having wet tropical Summers like North carolina, we have bone dry Summers with sunlight from 3:30 a.m. until 10:00 p.m. the days are extremely long during the summer time, and then we go into short days during the winter.

I don't know which season I like better, the gray foggy Misty season with the cool temperatures and snow-capped mountains, or the green dry season with warm Pacific temperatures and everything in bloom. Whichever one you like better, you get 6 months of it and that's it.

That's what they say right? It's pretty funny because everybody is under the assumption that Seattle rains all the time, but we really only get 35 inches average per year, half that of North carolina. North Carolina gets anywhere from 60 to 100 in of rain per year depending on whether or not there's tropical storms.

Most of the winter and spring in Seattle is light Misty Rain that you don't even need an umbrella for, you just need a decent water resistant coat. North Carolina on the other hand, is heavy downpours and Ice storms and tropical storms. The wet season for Seattle is winter time, and the wet season for North Carolina is the summer time, so they're kind of opposite.

We just had 6 months of sunshine in Seattle over the summer and fall, it only rained one or two days the entire 6 months. We actually get Wildfire season in Washington state just like California and Oregon. Instead of having wet tropical Summers like North carolina, we have bone dry Summers with sunlight from 3:30 a.m. until 10:00 p.m. the days are extremely long during the summer time, and then we go into short days during the winter.

I don't know which season I like better, the gray foggy Misty season with the cool temperatures and snow-capped mountains, or the green dry season with warm Pacific temperatures and everything in bloom. Whichever one you like better, you get 6 months of it and that's it.

This year has been really rainy here in NC: especially over the Summer.

Ian did make rainfall and wind for us back in October. He cleared out pretty fast.

Yes, I've always heard Seattle was very rainy...

I imagine it's a pretty fickle place for weather.

It's warm here right now for December.  My morning walk consisted of sunshine and didn't need a jacket or coat, if someone didn't want to wear one.

We have "cold snaps" but not what you call long-lasting cold and snow like that in the snow globe of Upstate NY.

Yeah, Upstate New York is pretty cold, I've spent a lot of time in Rochester where my family is from, and it gets lots of snow and cold winters.

Both North Carolina and Washington State are pretty temperate climates, but North Carolina has some serious heat in the summers. Even though Seattle is the furthest North out of any big city in our whole country, it doesn't really get cold. The coldest it ever gets around here is around 30 unless there's a major cold front, and then it might get down to say 20 at the most.

I think the major difference is North Carolina had highly unpredictable weather, sometimes there were major lightning storms and sometimes hurricanes, occasional tornadoes, huge ice storms and Power outages, and sometimes it would be in the mid-90s and heat index of hundreds. Washington State is pretty much the same every year, just a few months of dry long summer days, and gray Misty winters without natural disasters.

Yeah, Upstate New York is pretty cold, I've spent a lot of time in Rochester where my family is from, and it gets lots of snow and cold winters.

Both North Carolina and Washington State are pretty temperate climates, but North Carolina has some serious heat in the summers. Even though Seattle is the furthest North out of any big city in our whole country, it doesn't really get cold. The coldest it ever gets around here is around 30 unless there's a major cold front, and then it might get down to say 20 at the most.

I think the major difference is North Carolina had highly unpredictable weather, sometimes there were major lightning storms and sometimes hurricanes, occasional tornadoes, huge ice storms and Power outages, and sometimes it would be in the mid-90s and heat index of hundreds. Washington State is pretty much the same every year, just a few months of dry long summer days, and gray Misty winters without natural disasters.

Misty winters and icestorms sum us up pretty good. Last winter of 2021, we got a few icestorms in February: trees snapped on our road and cold windy nights.

I'll still take the weather compared to up north.

I'm not too familiar with Rochester. Other than it was on our way to Niagara Falls.

Yes I remember the snapping tree limbs all too well, we used to have to put our milk and refrigerator items in the snow when we lived in the Appalachian mountains, the power would almost always go out every time there was any significant snow or ice. The only way to keep the stuff cold was to put it in the snow, and the only way to cook our food was to put it on the wood stove in a pan so we could fry eggs and cook meat. It was that real mountain life, and it was fun most of the time.

I went to Niagara Falls as well, whenever I visited my family in Rochester we took the Seacoast or seapath? Highway all the way to Buffalo and Niagara and crossed over the walking bridge into toronto. We ate lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe in Toronto Ontario and then went back to New York. It was a pretty cool drive, there was nothing in sight other than some apple trees and Lake Ontario and a few country houses and that's it, not even any traffic for about an hour.

I used to say the same about rather living in the South as opposed to the north, but after spending tons of time in Florida and north carolina, I decided I wanted steadier cooler weather like the Pacific northwest. It doesn't get hot very often, and it doesn't get cold very often. Now the Northeast on the other hand, it gets frigid and it's non-stop ice and snow. I don't think I would want to go live in Massachusetts again, that's where I was from originally. It's too blistery cold in the northeast.

This thread has gotten off topic, this discussion would be more suitable for a blog rather than the Chewing the Fat board which its visible to members and non-members alike.  The description for posting on this board states:

General discussion space for non-support orientated benzodiazepine topics: science, studies, research, theory, issues, or even pet theories. The use of supporting evidence and citations are greatly appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...

JustInTime, those prior generations you speak of weren't as idyllic as you portray them.  Two of my uncles, my father's brothers, died as a direct result of alcoholism in an era before mental health or self-groups were available to them.  I had an aunt who suffered from terrible mental health issues as a result of sexual abuse as a child from a member of the community where her family lived.  She only opened up about this issue late in her life when it this topic became more open to discussion in our society.  These are only two examples of people from my family who might have benefitted from the mental health/self-help groups that are available to people in today's society.  Alcoholism/addiction, depression/anxiety, abuse in many forms - all of these have been around for eons and the options for treatment are much more available and diverse than they were for my ancestors and I'm grateful for that.

I have a similar view. I’m 60 now (Australian) and remember the stigma that used to surround anything resembling mental illness. That was because in the days before medications were developed, people were committed to asylums and endured horrific ‘treatments’. Interestingly, asylums came about as part of a European strategy to make the streets safe. Criminals, the insane (the terminology) at the time, and homeless people were put into what we came to call institutions for this reason. Later, criminals and the mentally ill were separated. I think this was in the 16th century. As recently as 40 years ago, people didn’t consult with a psychiatrist for fear of being labelled crazy and put in an asylum.

The first AD to hit the Aussie market was imipramine in 1959 followed by amitryptline in 1961. I was prescribed the latter for clinical depression in the late 1980s but I don’t think it did anything. I think my body healed itself over time. The best theory I’ve come across for clinical depression ( I’m not a psychologist but I studied to honours level in psychology) is brain inflammation.  Prozac came out in the mid 90s and changed everything. Having gone through the rigours of horrific wdl from paroxetine/ Paxil - I’m not sure if it was for the better. Far too many people, who really don’t need these drugs, have been put on them to aid with life stress rather than genuine mental illness. I was genuinely in a state of clinical depression when paroxetine was prescribed for me but in the years I spent on Paxil Progress, I found I was in the minority. Indeed, I had some vigorous debates with people there over whether anyone should ever take psychotropic drugs. Bipolar runs in my family so I’ve seen the other side and could never agree with such an extreme view. Moreover, my son, already diagnosed with autism and intellectual disability, developed bipolar in his mid 20s. His bipolar is rapid cycling so without meds, he has little quality Of life.

I believe that for a minority of people, psych meds make a significant difference to their quality of life - these were people with psychosis or bipolar, who - before these meds were available - were often committed to asylums for life. I have a sibling who, if she doesn’t take her lithium, winds up in hospital.

Australia has tightened up on the prescribing of these drugs compared to 10 or 15 years ago. We don’t allow the advertising of prescription drugs either - which is a good thing. I’ve also heard that many health professionals now understand the issues many have with ADs so are more hesitant to prescribe them - which is a good thing.

For me, I have finally come to the understanding that I have bipolar genes in me, although I ‘only’ suffer depression (6 times in my life). I wanted to stay on an AD but for all sorts of reasons, that didn’t work. Hence me opting to try Seroquel - as a mood stabiliser. It kicked in on week 3 at 75mg. Fingers crossed I don’t have any long term issues, as a few months I - well I can’t talk about it here but suffice to say that I can’t allow myself to get to that point again. I was also diagnosed with caregiver burnout. After more than 12 years of trying to get off ADs, enough is enough.

These are my thoughts on this interesting topic.

I think you kind of explained what was going through my head when I asked the original question, like do these conditions actually exist or not? I know that medical professionals tell people they have conditions such as bipolar and schizophrenia and anxiety conditions, but are they actually conditions, or are they just things with a name that medical professionals come up with?

For example, maybe somebody who was born up north is hardwired by nature to be more on guard for big predators like grizzly bears or Wolves Out in the woods, so would it be accurate for a modern day professional to say those people have a anxiety condition just because they're not equipped to live in the south around big cities full of people?

Or let's say that you are a human being that was hardwired from birth to do better in social situations in big cities, but then you get really nervous and scared when you go out in the wild out in the woods. Would it be accurate to say that these people have anxiety conditions when they're out in the woods, just because they weren't programmed to be out there in the first place?

I think life is too complicated for us to expect medical professionals to give us good advice. Maybe instead of forcing somebody to stay in their current predicament and trying to get them to accommodate themselves to their surroundings, Maybe the better option would be to get them out of their current condition and situation, and place them in another area where it's better suited for them.

I'm just not so sure about the whole mental health condition thing anymore, there's too many questions and not enough evidence. Everything in the whole Mental Health Community is based on subjective evidence, and it's all City based. What about the people who don't live in the city and don't communicate with society, like Ranchers and farmers?

I just think that there's no one size fit all solution for people's feelings, yet medical professionals are trying to make it that way because they see it like one thing should fit everyone, but that's not how life works. And in doing so, I think they're causing lots of problems and making people into mental health patients by giving them stuff they never needed.

This might help to answer your question.

The DSM came into being to ensure that all psychiatrists were on the same page - that is, they were using the same labels to treat the same constellation of symptoms. It was thought that medical science would eventually back these labels with real evidence. In some cases this has happened although there is still a lot about mental illness that is not fully understood. Schizophrenia, bipolar and clinical depression are very real, physical, debilitating conditions. As I’ve said elsewhere, bipolar runs in my family and believe me, it is very real. However, there are some so called conditions that don’t have scientific backing such as Prolonged Grief Disorder. The DSM would have us believe that grief should be done and dusted in just two weeks. I’ve done grief counselling, and it just doesn’t work that way at all. Grief is an adaptive process and there is no time frame as every individual is different. This sort of label is only there to give pharmaceuticals an excuse to prescribe more drugs. I was an associate member of the Australian Psychological Society when the DSM-V came out in 2013- and I believe something like 80% of the doctors involved in the update, had ties to Big Pharma. We are clearly medicalising conditions that are simply not medical.

What you see happening in here and in the mental health field is nothing else but criminal, this should go under legislation for the degree of harm you can easily cause to a person,  you see everyday people coming by with severe consequences from psychotropic drugs, insomnia ? you get antipsychotics and benzos, stress ? you get benzos, sad due to ending a relationship and loosing a job? you get benzos and antidepressants,, a kid with bad behavior due to any sort of stress? antipsychotics, antidepressants and benzos, what you see happening due to COVID-19 the damages caused by a virus and it's neurotoxicity is being inflicted to people on purpose for a long time, withdrawal is a too cute name for this  in my opinion ,

everyday what you see here on benzobuddies are people going through a minor brain injuriy, or a major brain injuriy and several consequences on their life, body and mind,

still, when having something so severe you get dismissed and gaslighted, and most of the time you get more drugs, that instead of helping cause more harm...

You're having a bad time/stress on your job ? get a break from your job, your kid is not going well on school and getting anxious?, take him off from school for some time, figure out something better, but no, what happens is that people take their child to a doctor who Rx very dangerous and damaging drugs with no remorse, many times telling that they're not addictive, not mentioning the severe downsides, when you get back to tell you're having nothing else than brain damage symptoms and neurotoxicity symptoms from the drug, you get downplayed, dismissed, this happens every day. there is no consequences to the doctor, none

many other things could cause one to have a bad reaction, depression and anxiety, or worst, several drugs which are not psychoactive themselves, steroids, antibiotics, finasteride, surgeries (inflammation) deceases, acutane, you search for help regarding your skin it loosing hair and you get severly damaged, no consequences for the doctors, then you get prescribed psychoactive drugs, when in facts your undergoing nothing else than neurotoxicity and brain damage(it's just anxiety) what would be the best thing to do in the case ? imo antiinflammatories(NSAIDs) antioxidants, and  other sort of therapies, plasmapheresis, but yet you search for some help and doctors throw you a Rx for a drug that promotes you even more damage,

This should be Teached on schools, parents should teach their kids,  and be aware themselves at this point,

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of interesting points. Personally, I believe that psychiatric drugs were created so that people would work harder and the elite and the government could keep people in check better to protect their interests. If everybody is depressed and everybody is anxious, then there's no workers. Without workers, the government and the elite can't accomplish what they're trying to accomplish. Do I think that it's a conspiracy? No, I just think the governments around the world have the wrong agenda and long-term goal.

Interesting you guys mentioned bipolar. I'm also diagnosed bipolar, but I've been questioning that recently. How would a doctor even be able to diagnose that in the first place, if they're not with you 24/7 and they don't know the history of your life and how you act on a daily basis? What they consider to be depressed, might be your normal baseline. Or what they consider to be manic, might actually just be you having fun and being happy. It's not as if people don't get out of line normally in life, even regular people.

I actually asked my psychiatrist once, I said what's the point of psychiatry in the first place? He honestly didn't even have an answer, he said that's a good question. I said is it to keep Society safe, or is it to keep people comfortable? He said I think it's a little bit of both. I said okay well which one overrides the other, which is the most important? Again, he didn't have an answer.

I look at it like this, whenever you are admitted involuntarily to a psychiatric hospital, they say it's to make you comfortable and to keep you safe. So why is it that they make you uncomfortable as possible and force you to go to a bunch of coping skills classes where you can get back to work as quickly as possible, if it's about making you feel comfortable. And why is it that the insurance is the most important aspect to the hospital, instead of your well-being? I can't count the amount of times I've been sent home from the hospital just because they say insurance won't keep you here forever. It's like okay, then why didn't you just send me home the first day then instead of prolonging my stay for no reason?

Or how about the fact that there's no objective evidence Behind These psychiatric conditions? Sometimes they say that MRIs and scans have been linked to white matter in the brain, or that blood pressure will rise or classic Panic symptoms will arise in certain other predicaments, but there's nothing 100% linking anything. There's just no clear connection, it seems to be a bunch of speculation on all of their so-called "evidence" of facts.

In regards to back in the day, I went through the exact same thing that you guys did even though I'm 20 years younger. I'm about 40 years old, but the psychiatric hospitals in the Southern United States and the way of thinking down there, people still deny mental health. People always say "they're just fine".

And how about all these outdated meds? I think almost everybody can agree that they don't work very well. Even Psychiatry themselves say that they need new medicines, because the old ones have become a failure in the big scope of treating patients. I've had that discussion with many doctors, they say they're always looking for new and improved treatments.

But I wouldn't be so quick to say the old Mental Health Care is any worse than the current treatment we get in our countries. Did people used to get lobotomies and get locked in cages? Yes, but I've also been thrown in the floor and injected with meds against my wishes and locked in seclusion rooms with no water, with nothing other than a cold concrete floor to lay on. I've been in hospitals where I've been suffering extreme levels and I've told the doctor that I am a 10 with anxiety or a 10 with depression on a scale of 1 to 10, and they will simply jot down a two or three on the piece of paper and then sign it, corruption at its finest. At least back in the day they would over-medicate people and keep them comfortable, versus "here's a little antidepressant to possibly take off an edge from a major drug withdrawal like benzos", which is probably even worse than a lobotomy. Would you rather die from a lobotomy, or would you rather suffer endlessly because of psychiatric pills in modern times? I think I would probably take the death over having to go through this again.

Long story short, there's been no advances in modern medicine and Psychiatry still doesn't have any proof of anything. I don't think that they're against us or that they have a bad agenda, I'm pretty sure their actual goal is to help people. But what good is trying if it doesn't work? That would be like mopping around oil in your kitchen floor instead of getting a clean mop.