Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

COMING OFF NEURONTIN

[MA...]

I came off 1800 miligrams of neurontin in January. I am still having a horrible time. I have shortness of breath,heart racing, anxiety and mind racing all the time. I have surges when i wake up that go straight to my brain ...I am off benzos eight months now but feel like i'm starting all over again. Could this be from the neurontin?? When I first came off i was totally insane. ....Need advice.

You say you feel like you are starting all over again in reference to your withdrawals.  That means your symptoms have started to feel a lot worse than normal I take it.  If I recall you recently have had surgery.  Surgery always puts extra strain on the body and any form of physical and mental stress may temporarily make withdrawal symptoms worse.

I don't know too much about Neurontin... I do know that some people have a hard time coming off of it and it looks like you came off a high dose pretty quickly in January.  I tried searching for info on how long Neurontin withdrawals last but I didn't find much that was helpful.  I feel inclined to believe that what you are feeling is primarily your benzo withdrawal symptoms exacerbated by your surgery.. with the possibility of lingering Neurontin withdrawals as well.

I hope this increase in symptoms passes soon for you.  I wouldn't worry that you are back to square one.  You didn't reinstate on either benzos or neurontin, so your recovery is still on track.

I weaned myself off 2100 mg of Neurontin last year.  I experienced w/d symptoms during my wean and only for about a month after I stopped.  Neurontin is a GABA analogue, maybe that is why it triggered all this?  I really don't know.  But I do know there definitely is a w/d with Neurontin.

Hi

I'm on a boatload of Neurontin to support a too-rapid klonopin taper under horrid circumstances. Plan (not something I excel at) to go down to a less-intoxicating level when all of this is over and I have a calm place to lay my head and not too many demands on me.

Gabapentin is a softer, gentler GABA agonist, and I"ve heard of ppl who use it for pain having bad withdrawal symptoms when it is remover for whatever reason.

Have been without GP while still on low-dose Klonopin and experienced near-panics, but gutted through. This crap is miserable. Y'know?

The only experience I know of where someone stopped Neurontin c/t without benzo w/d clouding things up, a friend of mine from another forum, said it was 6 weeks of hell...

A friend of mine reduced her dosage of Neurontin too fast under her doctors advice and had a seizure.  You must slowly wean off Neurontin and NEVER Cold Turkey off it.  Very dangerous.

[19...]

I was on 2 grams of Neurontin = 2,000 mg.

I cold turkey the Neurontin, but didn't feel too much. It made me sick. I couldn't take it very long.

I took it for around 6 months. I do not advise anyone to c/t this medication.

It's just my experience with it. With these medications, we all are different.

The only two medications I have had trouble coming off of was Effexor and the Valium I'm tapering now.

I came off Opiates in 2007, and it was a breeze compared to Benzo withdrawal.

Note-

I came off Neurontin way before the start of my Benzo taper.

S#

Hi,

I was originally prescribed Neurontin when my P DOC decided to c/t me off off about 120 mgs. of Ativan.  I ended up in the psych ward (ah, you get the picture, losing my mind, nearly psychotic with anxiety) and that's when they started me on Neurontin - upped the dose to 1800 in January 2008.  Over the course of 6 months I got myself down to 300 mgs. and that's as low as I can seem to go.  I know I have to do it - just too overwhelmed right now.  I wish I was never put on it.  My only comfort is it's only  300 mgs.

Sara