Important Survey - Please Participate ×

DOES ATIVAN DISSOLVE IN WATER WELL ENOUGH?

[li...]

unlike klonopin and milk, does ativN completely dissolve in water? I did the klonopin in milk before and i want to do ativan and my doc keeps putting me off on ordering liquid ativan so i would do myself but terrified my daily "pulls" are not going to be accurate if ativan doesnt dissolve the way its supposed to ("a suspension?)

Hi lizagal,

I've merged your two threads because they basically ask the same question, its good to keep your questions about titration on one thread so members can see what has been asked and answered and its good for you so you can see all of your replies in one place.

Pamster

Like many — but not all  — benzodiazepines, lorazepam/Ativan has a very low solubility in water.  Consequently, when you add water to a regular lorazepam tablet, the active drug substance in the tablet does not dissolve (as in ‘go into solution’). Instead, the tablet disintegrates (as in ‘falls apart’ or ‘disperses’) into smaller particles which are temporarily suspended in the water when the tablet/water mixture is shaken.

Per the study below, dosage measurement of a ‘do-it-yourself’ (DIY) water-based lorazepam suspension is less accurate than dosage measurement from (a) a professionally compounded lorazepam suspension made using a commercial suspending vehicle as well as (b) the ‘gold standard’ commercially manufactured lorazepam Intensol (concentrated) solution.

HOWEVER, it’s important to note that for some/many/most individuals (we don’t really know the percentage), a homebrew/DIY liquid made with regular lorazepam tablets and water is ‘accurate enough.’

Citation:

Lee WM, Lugo RA, Cash J, Rusho WJ, Mackay M, Welkie K. The accuracy and precision of measuring lorazepam from three liquid preparations. J Pediatr Pharmacol Ther. 2005 Jan;10(1):36-42. doi: 10.5863/1551-6776-10.1.36. PMID: 23118624; PMCID: PMC3468096.  Accessed online at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3468096/pdf/i1551-6776-10-1-36.pdf

• 2 weeks later...