Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Muscle relaxers help with pain?

[2c...]

I have continuing and worsening lower back and hip pain.  The things I’ve done so far such as heat/cold packs, BioFreeze, IcyHot pain patches, TENS unit, are not working on the worst of the pain.  I’ve had a complete work up to rule out anything serious (that’s a whole other subject) .  Doctors have prescribed muscle relaxers , most recently Robaxin but I’ve never taken one yet.

Had anyone used these successfully?  Like many of us , I’m cautious of taking other meds.

Catsintheyard,

Muscle pain (especially in my lower back, abdomen, buttocks and leg) continues to be my most severe and persistent symptom while using and, since stopping, valium.

I have tried Flexeril (Cyclobenzaprine hydrochloride) a few times but apart from making me tired, sleepy and even more dizzy, it did not work for me.

I have also tried heat/cold packs, various pain patches and a TENS unit.  At best, they sometimes gave me some minor and temporary relief.

What usually gives me the most relief is gentle swimming or even just floating in a pool.  I feel like a different person after swimming and the relief can last for several hours. 

I do think that after 20 months off valium I am finally beginning to sense that I may be over the worst as the muscle pain is less severe most days.  I am still getting bad waves and some nasty days but overall they seem to be less frequent and to be shorter.  Usually it is the worst in the mornings and by the evening it can be much better.

Hope you getting better soon.

I have some pretty bad pain in my hips and (ahem) butt. No, nothing "serious". Maybe just (ha) osteoarthritis. I use low-dose indica mj. An edible. It seems to help a great deal. Often I make my own, but sometimes I buy edibles at my dispensary. I find these strains to be most helpful: Do-Si-Dos, GMO Cookies and LA Confidential. They're not muscle relaxers, but they certainly relax you. I take an edible late in the afternoon as sometimes I get very relaxed and don't want to do diddly in the way of work at my computer. They're good before bed also.

My partner and I have just bought a walk-in soaking tub so I can relax my aching muscles before bed. I'm looking forward to it!

Hope this helps. Feel better 2cats!

Katz

I have no idea if this is a reputable source and I also don't know if this is something you should be concerned about but wanted to share it just in case.  https://www.cloud-clone.us/protein-antibody-elisa/Methocarbamol-(MCB)-O694.htm

Methocarbamol is a central muscle relaxant used to treat skeletal muscle spasms. Methocarbamol produces its clinical effects through agonism of the GABAA receptor, resulting in an exaggerated effect of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) which occurs naturally in the brain. Activation of the GABA receptor increases the amount of chloride ions that pass through the chloride channel of cells, resulting in a depressant effect by reducing the cells action potential. This mechanism is very similar to that of barbiturates, benzodiazepines, z-drugs, alcohol, and GABA analogues such as GHB. Most GABAergics require GABA as a co-factor in order to activate the chloride channel, however methocarbamol can activate the chloride channel even in the absence of GABA; this ability is called direct agonism and is relatively rare among GABAergic drugs, being shared only by other carbamate derivatives and a handful of other substances.

Yikes!

Thanks Pamster for the info.  I already took one 500mg tablet.  I guess that’s the one and only.

2cats

Just wanted to add that after I took the 500 mg Robaxin last night, I did not feel dizzy or particularly drowsy, which are the side effects I though I might have.  The pain actually was a slightly better, enough that I had a decent sleep.

This morning, the pain is back to its normal level, of course.  I feel very wired and irritable.  I’ve decided not to continue taking it. If the GABA receptors are indeed involved, I don’t think it’s a good idea for me. 

I will add that although feeling weird and irritable in the morning is not unusual, the feeling today has a agitated edge to it.  A little revved up.

Wow!!  Was thinking about taking the Robaxin too because it supposedly is non addictive and there are supposedly no withdrawals when stopping it... Definitely not going to try it now....  :(

I also have some Flexaril that I’ve never taken.  Pain is bad enough I may try it before bedtime.  Haven’t checked it to see if it would be a better choice.  I took it years ago when I had super bad tension headaches . Not very often and it worked great.  Back then it was very sedating to me.this was way before benzos entered my life.

Yes 2Cats this muscle pain is unreal. I have never experienced anything like this in my life. It literally feels like both my arms are broken. So hard to get the work done that I need to..  Think it is more my tendons and ligaments than my muscles...I mean my muscles hurt too but the tendon pain is severe. Hang in there!! :(

Gray Cloud

Sorry you’re in so much pain as well.  I just took the Flexaril.  We’ll see how that goes.  Just need some relief tonight even if it takes the edge off.

Is your pain constant?  Mine is fairly constant lately but some days it goes away for no reason for a while and then comes back as bad as ever with no apparent provocation .very weird.  All I know is that it is putting great restrictions on daily living and huge anxiety on top of the anxiety just from tapering.

I’m seeing a Myofacial Release Therapist on Wednesday.  She’s confident she can give me some relief.

I haven’t told her about the benzo tapering yet. 

Hang in there!  I know there’s others going through the same exact issues here!

Hi 2Cats, Yes my pain is constant. I've gone through so many bottles of bio freeze and magnesium. They seem to help but only for a very short period of time but they still do not take the pain away, just kind of dulls it some. This has got to be the worst symptom other than extreme restlessness which I seem to have both..  Hang in there Cats, it has to get better!!

Hugs and prayers!

Hey gray cloud, I thought I was the only one keeping BioFreeze in business! ;D

That and Icy Hot pain patches……I order that stuff in bulk from Amazon.  :P

By the way, the Flexaril did nothing for me except make me feel weird today……high anxiety  :(

Oh I am so sorry 2Cats..... It seems that we cannot take anything for this pain without causing us further problems... I think we just have to stick with the Biofreeze til this hell is over.... Hang in there!!! We will get to the other side eventually!!

Lots of hugs and prayers..