Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Using sand-paper and scale to taper

[Bu...]

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let you know that I've been using sand-paper and a jewelry scale to taper my Clonazepam.  Yes, sand-paper.  I've been able to go from 0.5mg down to 0.15 since April.  Before that, I was on 1mg of Clona and did a linear taper down to 0.5 mg before Christmas.  I made myself a simple Excel table that took the starting weight of a 0.5 pill and multiply the weight by 0.9 and that weight by 0.9, and so on.  To get the 5% reduction (because I found 10% at a time to be too much), I just average the two amounts that is, the average of 0.9* amount and 0.9*0.9* amount.  I was also on Mirtazapine 30mg and got that down to 15mg.  I've heard that the lower amount could be more sedating.

I know the sand paper trick is probably bad for my gut and intestines, but I figure I'm 60 years old and I have other health issues. Plus, I think it's the kind of sand paper whose sand particles probably stay on the paper.  Especially given the softness of the pills.

The weird thing about this journey of mine is that I'm getting up during the night and peeing maybe 2 or 3 times and go back to sleep right away.  I even get up at 5:30 every day and most days drive a car into work!  So, go figure.  Maybe it's time to jump off?

The other thing that's happening is that I'm dreaming again!  OK, well more like nightmares but what the hey.  I've also been talking in my sleep (I use SnoreLab).

Takes me an hour to fall asleep but I've learned to be patient.  I've got a routine I go through, ending up on my stomach for the final push.  I also pray a lot to clear my mind and use a method of three letter words.  Think of a three letter word like B-O-Y and come up with words that start with these letters.  Like Box-Orange-Yellow.  And then Bus-Only-Yam.  And so on.  When you can't think of words then move on to another three letter word.  Really clears the mind from thoughts. 

I don't know if I can attach a table but if anyone is interested, I can.  Usual disclaimers, yada, yada, etc., etc.

It looks like you've found a method that agrees with you, this is great and compared to benzo's, sandpaper seems pretty benign.  :laugh:

Its great to hear you're able to go back to sleep and having dreams, I had some nightmares when I stopped Ambien, they were nasty but went away thank goodness.  You're driving and working and you seem to have some pretty good tools to bring on sleep, acceptance and patience of our sleep situation is so important.  Fighting for sleep never results in it but acceptance and patience can. 

You're almost there, its not quite time to jump yet but I like the fact that it doesn't seem to scare you.  :thumbsup:

Sand paper is a good idea.  There's a member here who uses an emery board.  As for me, I use a nail file.

I'm around your age and I can relate to heading for the bathroom a few times per night, and I, too, can get right back to sleep.

Looks like you've made some good progress.  Keep it up! :thumbsup:

Thanks for your responses. Emery board sounds like a good idea. I like the sand paper, because I can keep in self contained and I brush it off into the toilet.

It amazes me how everyone’s situation is so unique and how our bodies adapt to the drugs we’re taking. Sometimes I don’t know how to distinguish reality from fiction and I don’t recognize or like this person I’ve become. Neither does my wife and I don’t blame her. My life is so regimented right now. No more coffee. No alcohol. No outings. No travel. It’s like my life is on hold and it’s killing our relationship.

I’ve gone from a world traveler who has slept on the hardest beds in Nigeria and we came back from Australia when the pandemic started. It’s so surreal.

I had no idea was we being prescribed to me otherwise I would have just toughed it out. It’s only after I started reading about this stuff and the side effects that I realized I had to do something.

Anyway. Thanks for your time.

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let you know that I've been using sand-paper and a jewelry scale to taper my Clonazepam.  Yes, sand-paper.  I've been able to go from 0.5mg down to 0.15 since April.  Before that, I was on 1mg of Clona and did a linear taper down to 0.5 mg before Christmas.  I made myself a simple Excel table that took the starting weight of a 0.5 pill and multiply the weight by 0.9 and that weight by 0.9, and so on.  To get the 5% reduction (because I found 10% at a time to be too much), I just average the two amounts that is, the average of 0.9* amount and 0.9*0.9* amount.  I was also on Mirtazapine 30mg and got that down to 15mg.  I've heard that the lower amount could be more sedating.

I know the sand paper trick is probably bad for my gut and intestines, but I figure I'm 60 years old and I have other health issues. Plus, I think it's the kind of sand paper whose sand particles probably stay on the paper.  Especially given the softness of the pills.

The weird thing about this journey of mine is that I'm getting up during the night and peeing maybe 2 or 3 times and go back to sleep right away.  I even get up at 5:30 every day and most days drive a car into work!  So, go figure.  Maybe it's time to jump off?

The other thing that's happening is that I'm dreaming again!  OK, well more like nightmares but what the hey.  I've also been talking in my sleep (I use SnoreLab).

Takes me an hour to fall asleep but I've learned to be patient.  I've got a routine I go through, ending up on my stomach for the final push.  I also pray a lot to clear my mind and use a method of three letter words.  Think of a three letter word like B-O-Y and come up with words that start with these letters.  Like Box-Orange-Yellow.  And then Bus-Only-Yam.  And so on.  When you can't think of words then move on to another three letter word.  Really clears the mind from thoughts. 

I don't know if I can attach a table but if anyone is interested, I can.  Usual disclaimers, yada, yada, etc., etc.

Hi Bubba, can I ask two  things?  What brand of clono are you on and did you find the linear method not as good for you. 

Thanks for your responses. Emery board sounds like a good idea. I like the sand paper, because I can keep in self contained and I brush it off into the toilet.

It amazes me how everyone’s situation is so unique and how our bodies adapt to the drugs we’re taking. Sometimes I don’t know how to distinguish reality from fiction and I don’t recognize or like this person I’ve become. Neither does my wife and I don’t blame her. My life is so regimented right now. No more coffee. No alcohol. No outings. No travel. It’s like my life is on hold and it’s killing our relationship.

I’ve gone from a world traveler who has slept on the hardest beds in Nigeria and we came back from Australia when the pandemic started. It’s so surreal.

I had no idea was we being prescribed to me otherwise I would have just toughed it out. It’s only after I started reading about this stuff and the side effects that I realized I had to do something.

Anyway. Thanks for your time.

Please let your wife know you'll return to who you were before, I hope you believe this too but I know its difficult.  This is a temporary condition, a very long temporary but you can beat this because you have a great life waiting for you.

Sounds like you've got a good system going.

I recently invested in a metal nail file (ha!) and have found it does a good job without much mess, and easy to clean.

You're in good company.

Onwards and upwards!