Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Trazadone

[co...]

Is anyone on Trazodone for sleep? Do you know if it's hard to detox from? Or can I just go cold turkey off of it?

I take a tiny dose (12.5mg) of Trazodone for sleep.  After a year of post-benzo insomnia, I finally caved and ask my doc for an Rx for it.  I don't know if it was the med itself that helped me turn the corner to better sleep or just the psychological effect of knowing I was taking it but whatever the case, it helped me over the hump.  It is suggested that Trazodone be tapered off over a few weeks but it doesn't carry the risks that benzos do like seizures of you stop suddenly.

I've been on it for years. I was on 300mg. My new doctor told me that is too high of a dose.  The lower doses help with sleep. I'm on 200mg now. It has a half life of 12 hours.  That's one reason I'm so hungover and tired the next day. I want to get off it eventually...but not while I am. tapering from klonopin.

Yeah the lower doses are what usually helps with sleep. It's mostly it's antihistamine properties that make you sleepy ....and dry your mouth and nose too ;)

I personally wouldn't stop it CT if it's used for a long period of time. I would still taper it. But imo it's not near as risky as benzos!

.Also, another thing you can ask your doc about if you just want the antihistamines part of a drug for sleep is hydroxyzine. It's basically a big antihistamine but isn't an AD like trazadone is. (Although, traz only operates as an AD at very high doses)

I cut back my Trazadone to 150mg.  I find it harder to fall asleep.

I may go back up to 200mg. 

I want to get off it so I can try the new med he prescribed for sleep. 

The doctor doesn't think I will have any side effects from going off Trazadone since I'm on so many similar drugs.

Corgimon,  PLEASE don't cold turkey off Trazodone!  I was only on it for 6 months @ 75 mg for sleep and CT'd.  Had horrific panic attacks, shakes, and lost 4 lbs in 2 days.  I had to reinstate at half dose and taper off slowly.  The taper can go faster than benzo tapers though.  Best Wishes.

I didn't take my trazadone last night and tried the new sleep med.  It seemed to work okay.  But I'm not sure how it will go with cold turkey off Trazadone.  I've been on it for years. I hate to mess things up even more.  I do feel more awake today though.  Quitting any psych drug is a mess.

I wouldn't jump off to quickly. I did it this past year but can't remember much; memory's that impaired. I think it wasn't a terrible WD, but I was on it for more than a few months, and on a lower dose. I felt better off it than on it.

IT makes me so drowsy during the day. It has a 12 hour half life. I've been on it for so long. I've tried to get off it in the past and had bad withdrawal effects. I don't want to do it right now. I'm tapering off K. It does work for sleep though.

• 4 weeks later...

IT makes me so drowsy during the day. It has a 12 hour half life. I've been on it for so long. I've tried to get off it in the past and had bad withdrawal effects. I don't want to do it right now. I'm tapering off K. It does work for sleep though.

can I ask what the new sleep med you tried is?

• 3 weeks later...

vc70

I'm sorry...I've not been on here in awhile.

I tried Ramelteon.  Awful stuff! Within 15 minutes I had chest pain and itching all over my body.  No rash though.  My sleep was full of vivid horrible dreams and very fitful. Very nervous. 

I didn't take it again.