Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Valium liquid Taper now

[co...]

My symptoms caught up to me this week, I just saw my Psychiatrist yesterday- a 2.5 hour drive each way, but worth it.  There are NO doctors in my area that understand this drug.

My current evening dose is 3mg Valium in pill form.  I am holding here until June 26th, then reducing by 10% every month via liquid Valium from the pharmacy.  5mg/5ml solution, 500ml.  He said the next cut would be 2.73mg- but don't quote me on that!

I am new to this and Horrible at Math!!  I need some help figuring out a tapering schedule for the evening Valium dose at 10% every month via the liquid above from the pharmacy. 

Thank you in advance!  I don't know what I would do without this group!  you are all amazing people! 

I'm terrible at math and taper issues but I'm sure we can find you some help.  Is the liquid Valium from the manufacturer or is the pharmacy compounding it for you?

I've seen members take a bit of time getting used to the liquid form, many have noted it either feels like an increase or a reduction so I'd advise holding your current dose for a bit when you make the switch.

Its from the manufacture- sorry about that!  I know nothing about the liquid, but am researching it.  Thanks for that advice about holding the current dose when making the switch.  I will do that for sure!

Since I will be switching to the Liquid Valium (from the manufacture) for the reminder of my Valium Taper, I just want to make sure these calculations are correct.

I will be tapering by 10% every month or 2 to 3 weeks depending on symptoms. 

6/26- 2.7 Liquid

7/24- 2.4 Liquid

2.1mg

1.8mg

1.6mg

1.4mg

1.2mg

1mg

Then I will switch to .5mg Xanax XR (morning) and 10mg Valium evening and drop by 1mg until I get to 5mg, then decrease by 10% from there using the liquid.  Then deal with the .5mg Xanax I have left over, crossing directly over to 10mg Valium and taper yet once again! 

Does this look correct?

This is a very good plan.

You are taking each drug in turn.

Your math is fine but you should know, your total reductions at the beginning are much less than 10% of your total benzo input.

For example, on 6/26 you are at 2.7 liquid and then drop to 2.4 which is about 10% drop.  However, since you are still taking your 0.5mg Xanax in the morning your total benzo reduction is much less than 10%.

That is fine.  You will just be going very slow.

Bob 7, Thank you so much for your reply- I really appreciate it! 

I am still on 1mg of Xanax XR in the morning.  I will finish this evening Valium Taper, then switch over to the .5mg Xanax XR (morning) and 10mg Valium (evening) and Taper again just like above.

Then after I taper the evening Valium, I will have the .5mg Xanax XR left.  I will just do a direct switch to 10mg Valium and taper using the same plan. 

Does this sound like an OK plan?  I know it's slow, been taking benzos as prescribed for 17 years.  I have a job and kids to raise still.  My husband is super supportive, so that has been a huge blessing and then finding my amazing Pdoc who is open to my taper suggestions.  This has been a long time in the making!!  I will never go backwards now......I will be free of this evil drug one day!

Thank again to everyone on this board- you are all amazing!

Bob 7, Thank you so much for your reply- I really appreciate it! 

I am still on 1mg of Xanax XR in the morning.  I will finish this evening Valium Taper, then switch over to the .5mg Xanax XR (morning) and 10mg Valium (evening) and Taper again just like above.

Then after I taper the evening Valium, I will have the .5mg Xanax XR left.  I will just do a direct switch to 10mg Valium and taper using the same plan. 

Does this sound like an OK plan?  I know it's slow, been taking benzos as prescribed for 17 years.  I have a job and kids to raise still.  My husband is super supportive, so that has been a huge blessing and then finding my amazing Pdoc who is open to my taper suggestions.  This has been a long time in the making!!  I will never go backwards now......I will be free of this evil drug one day!

Thank again to everyone on this board- you are all amazing!

The only concern I am hearing is, after you are done with the evening Valium taper, you will switch immediately from:

Taking 1 mg Xanax in the morning

to

Taking 0.5mg Xanax in the morning and 10 mg Valium in the evening.

This is probably fine but if you experience daytime issues, it is because you cut 50% of your morning dose all in one day.  It would NOT bother me because all my problems were sleep so I took ALL OF MY BENZOS at bed or during the night.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention Bob7, I appreciate it!  Xanax XR doesn't come in a lower dose then .5mg!  (Thanks big pharma!)

I don't want to start taking the IR and I really hate Xanax and all Benzos, but especially Xanax. 

I am kind of like you, If I get some good sleep, it makes the day tolerable.  I think after a week of the 10mg Valium being in my system, the mornings will be covered for at least 2 weeks or longer while my body adjusts.  When I was taking 10mg of Valium at night, I didn't even take the Xanax XR 1mg until much later in the day- sometimes even the afternoon as I was so sedated and didn't need it.  Lets hope the 10mg Valium covers this until my body gets used to the .5mg Xanax XR in the morning.  If not, I will go with plan B and chat with my Pdoc.  I am going to try to power through it as I really hate the Xanax- I don't even like typing it or saying it.

I have a long time to think about it and do more research.  I appreciate your insight and feedback!

Bob7, I also take Xanax XR and not the IR. This will last about 8-9 hours for me.  This may be OK if adding the 10mg Valium in the evening to equal 20mg.  Then hold here for at least 2 weeks or longer to get adjusted. 

Thoughts?