Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Liquid Titration Help

[Mo...]

Please explain calculations as if you are writing for "Titrations for Dummies" LOL

I need the formula and first few steps calculated for me for the following:

-.25mg Orally Dissolving Clonazepam

- Water ONLY please.

- 200 day taper (that's about 6 months)

Hello, MountainVA.

A point of clarification … if you are in the US, the dosage form you are using is an Orally Disintegrating Tablet (ODT). As the name implies, ODTs disintegrate (as in fall apart, disperse) when exposed to saliva or water.  The active drug substance in ODTs (in your case, clonazepam) does NOT dissolve.  The drug particles enter the body intact.

Consequently, what you are making with an ODT and water is a temporary suspension NOT a solution.  Shaking the ODT/water mixture vigorously before using it distributes the drug particles (as well as particles of water-insoluble excipients) as evenly as possible throughout the water.  Water is a very poor suspending vehicle due to its low viscosity so it’s also important to measure your reduction as quickly as possible before the particles fall out of suspension.

No formulas are needed for this approach.  Here are the steps:

Step 1: Set Up a Daily Taper Journal

Include columns to record:

- The date

- Time(s) and amounts(s) of drug ingested (or you can just record how many milliliters of the ODT/water mixture you ingested)

- Daily rating of your withdrawal symptoms (0 = no symptoms; 10 = intolerable symptoms)

- Daily rating of your functionality (0 = able to perform all essential daily tasks; 10 = unable to perform any essential daily tasks)

Step 2: Prepare and Use a Homebrew Liquid

Place a 0.25mg Orally Disintegrating Tablet (ODT) in a glass jar with a leak-proof lid.

Add 200mL of distilled or purified water.

Put the lid on the jar.

Shake the jar vigorously until the tablet disintegrates into fine, evenly sized particles.

Quickly remove the lid.

Quickly measure and discard 1mL of the ODT/water mixture.

Drink the remaining 199mL of the ODT/water mixture.

On Day 2, repeat the above steps except …

Measure and discard 2mL of the ODT/water mixture; drink the remaining 198mL.

On Day 3, measure and discard 3mL of the ODT/water mixture; drink the remaining 197mL.

etc.

ADDENDUM:  When changing dosage forms (in your case from an ODT to an ODT/water mixture, it’s a good idea to evaluate how your body will respond to the new dosage form before you begin making reductions.  So for the first week or so, I suggest making the ODT/water mixture and drinking the entire 200mLs.  If that goes well, then you can begin making reductions.

Step 3: Review Your Data and Modify Your Taper Plan if Needed

Review the data in your taper journal on a daily basis.  If your symptoms begin to increase and/or your functionality begins to decrease, stop making reductions.  Hold at your current reduction amount for approx. 3-10 days to observe if your symptoms and functionality stabilize (stop changing). If they do, continue with your taper.  If they don’t, you may need to change your taper rate and/or schedule.

• 3 weeks later...
Where would you pull from in order that the oarticles dont fall out if the suspensuon too quickly. Top, middle or bottom?

Where would you pull from in order that the oarticles dont fall out if the suspensuon too quickly. Top, middle or bottom?

This is a good question and one that occurred to me since I used this method.  All I can tell you is what I did - I put the syringe in the middle of the solution and pulled from there.  I tried my level best to be fast and pull the liquid out right after I shook the mixture.  I also added water after I finsied, sloshed it around, and drank that to pick any leftovers.

This is a visual demo of the method: