Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Rapid detox Colemant institue

[co...]

Has anyone heard of the Coleman institute? They have a rapid detox program for benzos using a drug called Flumazenil.  It's done it about 10 days.  It's a drug they use to wake people up from general anesthesia.  They also use it for benzo overdose cases.  It's given via infusing in a port in the belly area.  Sounds way too good to be true.  Or dangerous?

My suggestion would be to use these search engines to find the hundreds of posts written about this treatment so you can make an informed decision.  Please understand that no two people will react exactly the same and its wise to treat promises of cures (from for profit institutions) with a little skepticism.    http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=251991.0

Pamster, thanks for giving me the info.  I appreciate it.  It sounds too good to be true.  I'm surprised they don't use this med for all that are detoxing off a benzo. 

I did this detox 4 years ago this August in Richmond VA. If I could do a lawsuit I would. I am 4 years into this and still in hell. He’s a very nice man, but sold one hell of a story. I took Lyrica for the 8 day detox having no clue that’s what’s why I felt so calm. I did my take their “calming meds” the offered. Then ripped off of that the last day of detox. I came home and 48 hours later hell ensued and never stop. They are just cold turkeying you under medical supervision basically. They even said in a few months I could drink again and even had no clue what antibiotics were safe after. I highly recommend another avenue, but that’s my experience.

Hopeful....I've decided NOT to go down this avenue.  It sounds pretty brutal.  I'm going to do it the old fashion way.  A slow taper. It would be nice to be off it in a week, but not sure I want to deal with the side effects. 

You made a very wise decision. Brutal it is and then some. It is barbaric. From my experience.

We all are impatient and want off quickly, but there is no other way then slow tapering.

I tried getting off a year after being on it and it was decreasing by .25mg a week. That was suggested by my GP who had good intentions, but knew nothing. I asked him how to get off. Back then, in 1999, I don't believe anyone really knew. I struggled, but ended up with severe gastritis, horrible symptoms of which I finally realized were withdrawal.

I looked up Benzo detox and of course there were many places that offered their lies. I bought into it and was taken off the night I was admitted and put on a 5 day taper of Phenobarb. I really thought that was how to do it. I had no idea of the suffering. I was also treated lie a heroin addict.

The good news is that I survived for 4 months by being taken care of by my Precious Mom.

Finally reinstated by a Benzo wise Dr and got my life back. I have tapered over the years, but have had setbacks due to family illness. I am on my way again to getting down, so there is always hope.

If you start a slow and low taper, you will have great success. Do your research and ask questions to the great folks here who can guide you.

Dana

I had long ago heard the horrors of rapid benzo detox/cold turkey and knew that getting off safely was a key part, too.  When my time came to get off, I consciously decided to do my own taper and not leave matters in the hands of anyone else.  That decision served me well.  With the help of this community, I let my long-time benzo clonazepam go in six months and aside from a year of pretty rough insomnia, which is now resolved, I did fairly well.   

I know someone personally who had a similar experience to hopeful0518 at the same Coleman Institute. It was a horrid experience for her. I would avoid at all costs. The desperation will end up costing you more pain than you are already in and a whole lotta money that most ppl here can't afford to waste.