.25mg of Klonopin taper

[ka...]

Hi All,

I have been off of the clonazepam since April 6th. I have lost weight in the past 1.5 years (I started taking in last Feb./Mar. - .5 mg and then .25 mg and finally .125 mg and jumped off it). I am depressed basically. I don't want an antidepressant bc they take a long time to start working (if they work at all) and can be a problem going off them. I am still experiencing some poor sleep and seem to wake up two hours before the alarm. I am taking 300 mg neurontin at bedtime, melatonin and magnesium which help me fall asleep. During the day I take 1-2 more of the neurontin or magnesium.

Anyone have experience with depression while still on the clonazepam and after going off of it? Any good suggestions?

Thank you so much.

katyee8

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ka...]

• [Pa...]

• [je...]

• [Yo...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Depression is a huge symptom of withdrawal and recovery, I'm sorry you're dealing with it now.  I'd never experienced it before my cold turkey but it was scary, I gained empathy for those who suffer from it chronically, I can't imagine living with that darkness.

I don't have any suggestions other than to practice self care and distraction and most importantly to tell yourself this isn't you and that when you recover this won't be you.  We're lucky in that we can recover from this, it will leave if its the product of this process, that won't happen for those who suffer from it chronically.

You're very early in recovery, your body is healing but it takes too long.

I've had depression come and go. It's very common. I know this can be really terrible. Personally for myself I won't take any meds again that needs tapering.

Every thing you struggle with usually goes away with time. And it sucks to know we have to wait it out because we want to do something about it. I'm seeing a therapist which helps me if the depression surfaces. It helps me to talk about it and have someone validate my feelings. I know it doesn't work for everyone though.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Hi Pamster and Jellybaby,

I appreciate your messages very much. I think being on clonazepam caused me to feel worse and lose weight and going off it also did the same. I'm also no longer seeing my long time psychiatrist so that could be a part of my feeling depressed. No it's not easy. Somehow I lost weight I didn't want to lose. I am working with a psych. nurse practitioner now and two therapists (I'll see who I get more benefit from). I know most of not all antidepressants also require tapering when going off them. It would be wise for me to not take any going forward.

I'll stay as busy as possible and distract myself and eat as much as I can to put the weight back on.

Thank you again for your advice.

Best,

katyee8