Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Ambien NOT work for you?

[De...]

At the beginning of my journey, the Dr. gave me Ambien, I took it and it didn't work for me.  I never fell asleep.  I was so stressed and my mind would not stop thinking - maybe that had to do with it.

I'm just curious if Ambien didn't work for others - maybe I'm just so sensitive to meds. 

I am glad you asked that question. The doctor gave me Ambien for insomnia, told me that it would 'knock me out' in about 15 minutes. I would take it at 10, and by 2, I would begin a real shallow sleep.

The doc had no explanation why it didn't work.

Thanks for the responses!

I had googled this and others had a similar experience of hardly any sleep or no sleep.  The doc was amazed Ambien didn't work and that's when they gave me benzos!!!!

So weird how meds work for one body, but not for another!

• 2 weeks later...

at one point I was taking a strip of 12 10mg pills with a 12 pack of beers every night and it did nothing other than make me ravenously hungry and fat.

The only sleeper that ever worked for me was rohypnol, that knocked me out in 10 mins but I would be wide awake 2 hours later.

I tried ambien as well and it did nothing except give me major deep depressive thoughts.  Think that for most of us on benzo's our gaba receptors are already too "fried" for it to work.  The only med that has enabled me to sleep is doxepin but as with all meds it has major drawbacks and I am currently tapering it down a bit as well. 

did you guys take it after being on benzo's for a while?  It competes for GABA receptors so it doesn't really work if you are on similar drugs (especially benzo's). If you don't normally take any medication and don't drink much alcohol it typically works very well.

did you guys take it after being on benzo's for a while?  It competes for GABA receptors so it doesn't really work if you are on similar drugs (especially benzo's). If you don't normally take any medication and don't drink much alcohol it typically works very well.

That's very interesting... like I said, only at a dose of 20mg did it work for me. And I guess that's because I was on Klonopin at the time.

I have been taking 10mg of Ambien for 6years (which I'm now tapering off) and it worked for me. I found that was a major difference between the generic and original . I found the generic did not give me the same quality sleep as the original.

You are right the drug does give you depressive thoughts and moods.  :( Now that I am tapering I feel a heaviness leaving me.

I wish you all luck and continued success with your tapers!

Blessed78 :angel: