Important Survey - Please Participate ×

How true is this...?

[Be...]

Found this post on Facebook and I thought it needs some discussion here..

Three things I wish I knew as a beginning Addiction Counselor:

1. What my clients eat actually matters to their recovery, so ask them when was the last time they ate protein prior to their craving, slip, or relapse.

2. When women relapse, it is typically premenstrually. So, have them track their cravings, slips, and relapses over three months and see if there’s a pattern. 

3. Post-acute withdrawal is typically due to skipping meals or eating lots of sugar and depleted neurotransmitters. This is therefore preventable by eating protein every four hours, minimizing the sugar in the diet, and using amino acid therapy to quickly rebuild neurotransmitter function.

Found this somewhere on Facebook and wondering whether it makes some sense....

You're really a "beginning Addition Counselor"?

Is this below your experience? Or something you've read/been told?

2. When women relapse, it is typically premenstrually.

lol this assumes that the women you (or someone) is treating are indeed of menstruating age. Wow, dem old hormones again. I find this, well, silly. And insulting. Of course it can't be anything like stress that might be happening in their lives? Gosh no. Typically? Really?

And this doesn't make sense either:

3. Post-acute withdrawal is typically due to skipping meals or eating lots of sugar and depleted neurotransmitters. This is therefore preventable by eating protein every four hours, minimizing the sugar in the diet, and using amino acid therapy to quickly rebuild neurotransmitter function.

Again, "typically"? Bexlan, maybe you should stay off Facebook. If I were being "counselled" by you I'd hate to know that FB is the source of your "wisdom". Maybe check these "typicallys" out a little further.

Just my thoughts, of course.

:o

Katz

You're really a "beginning Addition Counselor"?

Is this below your experience? Or something you've read/been told?

2. When women relapse, it is typically premenstrually.

lol this assumes that the women you (or someone) is treating are indeed of menstruating age. Wow, dem old hormones again. I find this, well, silly. And insulting. Of course it can't be anything like stress that might be happening in their lives? Gosh no. Typically? Really?

And this doesn't make sense either:

Again, "typically"? Bexlan, maybe you should stay off Facebook. If I were being "counselled" by you I'd hate to know that FB is the source of your "wisdom". Maybe check these "typicallys" out a little further.

Just my thoughts, of course.

:o

Katz

I'm no counsellor or seeking counseling but as the title of the post is I just posted for discussion....

I wanted views of members as I came across it abruptly and thought it connects to our experiences to some extent....

Bexlan

Katz . I love you and I could not have said it better . The myths surrounding the perfectly normal female function of menstruation are legend and belong up there with the beyond disgusting , 'Sexual harrassment of women should be seen as a compliment ' .