Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Crossing to Diazepam

[Ri...]

I’m on two benzos now lorazepam and diazepam my doctor is slowly crossing me over to diazepam 2.5 lorazepam and 15mg diazepam he’s trying to get me to 40mg diazepam and taper me down from that but I’m having a hard time right now it might be both drugs hitting me at the same time and I tried a diazepam crossover back in February from another doctor in a 4 week period and it didn’t work when I jumped off the lorazepam it got me into withdrawals and I jumped out of my sleep. I don’t know what to do I tried tapering from lorazepam last year and I had a hard time and they’re trying the Ashton manual and I’m not functional I never have a good day ever and I’m only 35 and my whole life is messed up I used to be an active guy I worked out took road trips vacations went out to dinner enjoyed live now I’m just miserable and I have no personalization anymore. I know you prob know how it feels seeing how long your on benzos but it’s like I can’t get one day of relief ever I always just feel horrible and I see other people going on with their lives and I can’t do that and I’m jealous and i

Upset

Edit: Split off topic, changed the subject title and moved to substitution taper board.

Thanks, I'm glad to see your doctor uses the same equivalency tables we do, are you crossing over according to the Ashton manual, taking at least a month or more to make the switch? 

I would imagine what you're feeling is the loss of the Ativan before the Diazepam has had a chance to build up in your system, it can take weeks to realize the full effect of the Diazepam while the Lorazepam leaves your system rather quickly.

Are you experiencing any sedation from the Diazepam?

Actually we’ve. Been switching over for 6 months and I feel really mental fatigued tons of anxiety Terrible sleep and no energy I barely leave my house for anything my brain feels like it’s shut down and maybe I’m on too much medication but he’s doing it slow because the first crossover attempt I had failed and put me into withdrawals I just can’t win with this medication it’s a nightmare

I wonder if it might be a good idea to talk to the folks in support groups on the Valium thread, they can offer their experience on crossovers.  Just hit reply on this link and it'll take you to the last post on the thread where you can let them know what's been going on with you.  Valium Support Group

many people want to switch from ativan to valium  because of the half life ....  but the difference between on set times is where the problem lies  because ativan is fast acting and valium is not  i myself tryed to switch once directly over but i went right into withdrawal because i messed up the dosage sizes so i just went back to ativan again but in the near future i would like to give it a shot again because coming off of ativan  is doable lots have done it but the intermitten withdrawals is what gets  rough for me atleast when i tryed tapering off  best off luck to you like pamster said maybe try looking in the valium thread see how others did it with success