Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

When after benzo is it safe to taper AD?

[as...]

I am about 3 months post benzo, and I added Remeron at the end of my taper due to bad anxiety and burning in my spine. The Remeron really helped with those two symptoms (not so much others), but I have gained a lot of weight. At some point in the future, I'd like to taper off of the Remeron.

The Remeron helps with sleep, but it also makes me eat a ton! I tried to taper off of it at 6 weeks post benzo, and I went through horrible benzo anxiety-- same as before I started it--, so I went back up on it and stabilized.

I know Beeper tapered off an AD post-benzo, I think. Anyone else? How long did you wait? I'm a little scared to start too soon again!

I was told to wait at least 6 mos. taper to taper off of a antidepressant so as not to shock the body and mind any more.  I did wait 6 mos. to taper off of welbutrin and did have some difficulties but it was not too bad. 

Some people seem to come off their AD very easily, while others like myself can have a very difficult time.  From what I can tell, those who have a hard time are in the minority.  I have been titrating lexapro for several months to reduce withdrawals, and its going fairly well.  One idea might be for you to make a relatively small cut and hold for a while to see how you handle it.  Then you can decide how you want to move on.  Also, Ginia's remark about waiting 6 months is considered by many to be wise.

best,

Draftsman

Hi, ask2266.

I actually did not taper off an A/D after quitting benzos but I did taper off Seroquel (and Ambien).  I believe I waited a good 3 months before tapering off the Seroquel and I was already on a pretty low dose (25mg).  I tried a couple of times before I was successful so don't give up.  :thumbsup:

[55...]

I c/t Remeron and Lithium before starting my taper.

I didn't have any withdrawals from the c/t of Remeron & Lithium. (I'm not suggesting a c/t at all!)

Was on it for a long while.

I would wait until I felt settled enough to start tapering the AD after coming off the benzo.

I'm on an AP and I will probably wait 3-6 months after my last dose of Valium, as I project.

Honestly, no one can really answer this 'cause we all vary, but I say listen to your body.

S#