Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Need a way to explain this

[sk...]

I am currently 3 weeks benzo free and I am in a somber bout of depression, sobbing a lot, cannot control it. So I am looking for an easy way to explain this mess. I try to talk about it but its hard to explain and I tell them its the drug withdrawal but I don't think they fully understand, its not the real me. I can tell them to come and read here but most won't, we all live busy lives. Is there a hallmark card for this, a quick reference chart that most will read and understand. Because of this mood I am doing stupid things and I don't see a way out of this.

Severe depression may result from biochemical changes in the brain induced by benzodiazepines. Benzodiazepines are known to decrease the activity of serotonin and norepinephrine (noradrenaline), neurotransmitters believed to be closely involved in depression.

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha03.htm#11

The above sentence, in a nutshell, is the reason for the depression.

I am currently 3 weeks benzo free and I am in a somber bout of depression, sobbing a lot, cannot control it. So I am looking for an easy way to explain this mess. I try to talk about it but its hard to explain and I tell them its the drug withdrawal but I don't think they fully understand, its not the real me. I can tell them to come and read here but most won't, we all live busy lives. Is there a hallmark card for this, a quick reference chart that most will read and understand. Because of this mood I am doing stupid things and I don't see a way out of this.

You're right on both statements. Even though they may seem to try, unless they are actually going through it, or have gone through this, no one will fully understand.

Yes, this is not the real you. I know you feel backed in a corner as I have been there myself, but all these symptoms will fade, your life and emotions will return to you.

When everyone else around you, doesn't seem to understand what's happening to you, remember, everyone here does understand.

Mike

Skidoo,

Just wanted to say I hear you and sympathize.  I think Mike's post pretty much explained the depression, obsessions, etc., but thought you'd want some support too. 

I'm down to 3.5 mg. Valium, nearing the end of my taper, and the depression and obsessions are worse than ever.  Even though this is considered "normal," knowing that doesn't make things any less painful.  As you mentioned, I'm doing some pretty "stupid" things too because I can't think straight.  The worst symptoms for me are my inability to make decisions and constant obsessing--I can't get certain thoughts out of my mind.  I keep changing my mind about everything and my mood is totally unpredictable; my boyfriend who lives with me has the patience of a saint.  He's the only one who educated himself about benzos and w/d, and is truly supportive. 

I posted right before you about depression, so I get it.  I guess we just have to trust that things will get better with time--so hard though.  For what it's worth, congratulations on being 3 wks. benzo-free!  What an accomplishment, did you do something to honor your achievement?  This can be a really lonely and thankless road, hope you haven't forgetten to give yourself credit.

All the best,

Mal

Thanks Mal and Mike. Its true on the bright side, I am 3 weeks benzo free and although bleak at times it is a steady progression and one should accent the positive, yes I am 3 weeks free! That made me feel a lot better, thanks...

• 1 month later...

Congratulations I am still a while away but i am prepared to do it slow so i don't get all the horrible with drawls...  One thing i have learned that what ever was going on in our life before hand makes us go on these horrible pills and then once off the original symptoms rear there ugly head..I am not sure if that is there in your case but i am already getting help for what i has before which was anxiety and depression that is training my mind  for the future... Depression is so horrible and no one understands except people on here...Trouble with depression every body sees you on the outside and you Lock allright but they cant feel what you feeling, but my god you have done it  you are benzo free,,, maybe toughest thing you have done in your life.... don't let that rotten mind run you    you be its boss, not its employee..

If people don't understand i don't care now cause as soon as i think, then i analyse, then i worry then i get anxiety then i get depressed again... well done to you