Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

blood pressure meds to substitute K?

[mi...]

My doctor told me to take 40mg of inderl(sp?) in the morning and at night to lower my heart rate instead of taking the K. any thoughts?

[4b...]

mike,

I have never heard of anyone substituting Klonopin with a BP med.

Hopefully someone with this experience, who has.. will help.

I don't think the med will cover the Klonopin w/d.

Someone else can weigh in here...

S#

The Klonopin affects more than your blood pressure, Mike, and inderal is not an equivalent drug.  Some people withdrawing from a benzo get high blood pressure temporarily as a w/d symptom.  Is that the case with you or have you had high blood pressure prior to tapering?

I have high blood pressure.  During W/D it was not controlled well with my normal meds.  And my pulse was high.

Inderal is a beta-blocker.  It will lower your BP and pulse.  A racing pulse and BP can make anxiety feel worse, and for some can be dangerous even short term.

Especially if you are over 40.  Just because it goes up due to drug withdrawal doesn't mean it can't cause a stroke.

I had to take cloinidine to keep mine down for a while.  Also had a few steroid injections in my back.

If after the withdrawal is over your blood pressure and pulse return to normal you can wean off the beta blocker.

So it isn;t a replacement for anxiety meds, but uncontrolled blood pressure and pulse can be dangerous and cause anxiety due to the stress

it puts on your heart and arteries.

I have high blood pressure.   During W/D it was not controlled well with my normal meds.  And my pulse was high.

Inderal is a beta-blocker.   It will lower your BP and pulse.  A racing pulse and BP can make anxiety feel worse, and for some can be dangerous even short term.

Especially if you are over 40.   Just because it goes up due to drug withdrawal doesn't mean it can't cause a stroke.

I had to take cloinidine to keep mine down for a while.  Also had a few steroid injections in my back.

If after the withdrawal is over your blood pressure and pulse return to normal you can wean off the beta blocker.

So it isn;t a replacement for anxiety meds, but uncontrolled blood pressure and pulse can be dangerous and cause anxiety due to the stress

it puts on your heart and arteries.

My blood pressure is normal well about 125/80 so im not taking it for being high, strictly for anxiety... I really just want to go to safeway and buy one of those packages to dispose of all your pills and not take anymore... I have a new doctor since I switched groups I see on friday ill see what he has to say

[4b...]

I have had low blood pressure during w/d, yet a high HR ..

For example-

100/60 HR- 135

Well.. that's not nec. low, but I've caught it lower.

My HR has went down compared to what it was on a higher dose. I caught it at 175 one day.

S#

For example-

100/60 HR- 135

My HR has went down compared to what it was on a higher dose. I caught it at 175 one day.

S#

in your opinion, do you think taking that extra drug is worth it? I will still ask my doctor on friday. My plan is to get a script for 2mg of xanax for my big summer trip to Europe and when I get back taper off the K or V for ever... no more reinstating

[4b...]

For example-

100/60 HR- 135

S#

in your opinion, do you think taking that extra drug is worth it? I will still ask my doctor on friday. My plan is to get a script for 2mg of xanax for my big summer trip to Europe and when I get back taper off the K or V for ever... no more reinstating

Mike,

I can't tell you if it's a good option or not.

The Klonopin affects more than your blood pressure, Mike, and inderal is not an equivalent drug.  Some people withdrawing from a benzo get high blood pressure temporarily as a w/d symptom.

I agree with Beeper because I have withdrawal that affects my BP and HR. More my HR.

You're going to Europe? Wow.. I have been to Germany several times and France mostly.

I know you was free of Benzo's once.. after you get back. I would taper off and stay off.

As far as the Inderal. I can't make that decision for you.

S#

thanks, im going to make sure my new doc gives me the benzos i need for my trip then gives me the correct amount to get off and then im going to tell him to never give them to me again...

Make sure you bring all the info you need Ashton , etc. I did and my Dr finally agreed to give me Valium to taper and Im doing a whole lot better.

Musicians have been using beta blockers for performance anxiety since they have been around. People also use them for social anxiety. They will not cover benzo w/d symptoms. They didn't in my case.

• 4 weeks later...
Clonodine is a blood pressure meds that is used off label for ADHD kids and my doctor gave it to me when I was hospitalized after quitting Klonopin too fast. It has a side effect of "calming"  the body.

I tried it. It didn't work for me. It reduced the obvious physical symptoms such as heart palpatations and some of the discomfort of elevated rebound BP but it did nothing for my inner turmoil, insomnia and other rebound withdrawal symptoms. Actually I think it made my insomnia worse. I think that insomnia is listed as a possible s/x of this particular BP medicine. I have had no luck with substitute medications. Please understand I am simply reporting my experience.

I didn't mean to give the impression I wasn't saying it helps in benzo withdrawal...I just was reporting why my doctor gave it to me after I had my seizure from coming off of Klonopin too fast...However I will say that I took .1mg of Clonodine last night with a sleep med I take and it definitely stopped  the normal anxiety I have at night. I am 8 1/2 months off benzos now so it would make sense that it works better now than it did 2 weeks after stopping K-pin/

I didn't mean to give the impression I wasn't saying it helps in benzo withdrawal...I just was reporting why my doctor gave it to me after I had my seizure from coming off of Klonopin too fast...However I will say that I took .1mg of Clonodine last night with a sleep med I take and it definitely stopped  the normal anxiety I have at night. I am 8 1/2 months off benzos now so it would make sense that it works better now than it did 2 weeks after stopping K-pin/

Nice. I don't think you gave the wrong impression. I know lot's of people who take BP meds on an as need basis for social anxiety. They tell me it stops them from over reacting to increased heart rate and BP in social situations. I understand it is not addictive too. So I hear you.