Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Damn Seasonal Allergies.. what can I take??

[xe...]

They are really getting annoying, and the Spring just started. These days I react pretty badly to just about anything. What works for you without bad side-effects?

Xeno-

I also suffer from seasonal allergies, no fun.  At some points before benzos I would take two prescription allergy meds to get me through (flonase and singulair).  However, since my surgery and benzos those seem to cause more problems than help.

I went to an integrated doc a few weeks ago and she had me start taking Quercitin.  It is a natural supplement made from yellow vegetables like peppers, it helps reduce mast cell inflamation and promote respiratory health.  She told me it takes two weeks to build up in the system, so you don't get immediate relief (but that's the same with a lot of allergy meds).

The brand I take is Querciplex and per the doctors instructions I take two capsules three times a day with meals.  I will say that within about 4 days the extreme itching in my nose/mouth/throat started to subside.  I think the congestion is less, too.  I have been taking it for about 2 1/2 weeks. 

In a pinch I have found that taking a kids dose of benedryl works, but it makes me sleepy (not necessarily a bad thing).

Mine have been acting up quite intensely this spring.  Historically, I have tried almost every allergy and asthma med out there because I have such horrible side effects to these medications.  It's really hit or miss on what allergy meds work, and what ones have the least side effects.  You have to be willing to experiment quite a bit to find the right balance.  Feel better.

Draftsman

• 4 weeks later...

I've had pretty good success with allegra.  Also, recently heard from my ENT that Patonase antihistamine nasal spray can help some folks with sleep. I don't know if that would be adviseable during taper but perhaps after?  I've never tried it.

Vertigo

My 8 year old uses Patanase nasal spray and it does indeed make her sleepy.  It is an antihistimine.  My ENT prescribed it to me but I am scared to spray medicine up my nose after the nose surgery I had.  I used to take Allegra and it worked really well, however, I am too scared to try it now.  My husband says he can't take it because it makes him too sleepy (it's 24 hr).

The night after I took a Claratin I got 2 hours sleep, and my taper went completely South from there. It's highly likely it set me off.

Not touching a drug again, no antihistamines, nada. Allergies are a walk in the park compared to the possible descent into hell.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been taking Allegra the last 4 days.  I haven't noticed anything different yet, but I really wish I didn't have to take them.  Like most of us, I am scared to put ANYTHING else into my body.  It's just gotten to the point, where I can't even be outside for a second (like walking to the mailbox) without my allergies really flairing up.

I hope I'm not going to find out later that Allegra is having some sort of negative effect on me or weird interaction.  Has anyone heard anything?

I have heard lots of bad things about Claritin in w/d. Benadryl is supposed to be the safest for us. I recently switched to Zyrtec bc it's very similar to Benadryl but much longer acting. The Benadryl made me incredibly sleepy and only provided 4 hour relief. I've been fortunate in that I've noticed no changes from the Zyrtec, only a reduction in sleepiness and more constant relief.