Crossing over from Ativan to Valium

[Ar...]

[a4...]

Before you commit to crossing over to Valium...  Many people taper Ativan directly.  It saves you the time of doing a crossover, and you already know how you react to Ativan.  The taper itself is very similar regardless of the drug you choose to taper.  Both benzos can be tapered using liquid or solid formulations.  Both are fine for cut & hold or daily micro-taper approaches.  About the only disadvantage is that most people end up dosing 3-4 times a day since Ativan has a short elimination half-life.

Think about it.  If you still want to do a crossover, we'll help guide you thru it.  If you want to stay with Ativan, there's a good Ativan tapering support group.

[a4...]

How are you currently taking your dose?  One dose at night?  Doses throughout the day?  Times, etc.

There are a range of conversion factors used for Ativan -> Valium.  2 mg Ativan converts to anywhere from 10 to 20 mg of valium.  We could go for a low amount (10 or 12 mg), a happy medium (15 mg) or play it safe (20 mg).  Note that some people feel over-sedated doing a 10:1 conversion.      Your call.

Ok.  So with the ativan, I take 1mg at around 2pm, and I take 1mg of ativan at around 7pm.  I struggle in the mornings up until my 2pm dose because I am trying not to take 3mg a day.  Now, with the Valium crossover I am trying to cross over with out the withdrawl from the ativan.  I would like to go a little over the equilivent of the ativan to the valium to stabilize.

[a4...]

Here is an example schedule.  It will require you quartering your 1 mg Ativan pills.  Eyeballing them is probably fine.  Feel free to steal from this example as you see fit...

Starting Dose

2 pm:  1 mg Ativan

7 pm:  1 mg Ativan

Week 1 of crossover

2 pm:  0.75 mg Ativan / 5 mg Valium

7 pm:  1 mg Ativan

Week 2 of crossover

2 pm:  0.5 mg Ativan / 5 mg Valium

7 pm:  0.75 mg Ativan / 5 mg Valium

Week 3 of crossover

2 pm:  0.25 mg Ativan / 10 mg Valium

7 pm:  0.5 mg Ativan / 5 mg Valium

Week 4 of crossover

2 pm:  10 mg Valium

7 pm:  0.25 mg Ativan / 10 mg Valium

Week 5 of crossover

2 pm:  10 mg Valium

7 pm:  10 mg Valium

Week 6:  Begin Taper

Thank you so much.  I really appreciate you taking the time to figure this out for me.  Now I have something to take to my doctor to get this going.

Again, Thank you.