Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

This is not real

[Te...]

I don't have any experience of lexapro but had an adverse reaction to citalopram and Sertraline and the effects have definitely not gone away. I accept this is my personal experience but to advise the effects will go away when you stop is not always the case. I stopped 11 weeks ago, the meds caused severe anxiety and OCD type symptoms, I've been in contact with a benzo help line here and they have confirmed that SSRI's can definitely trigger OCD type symptoms in some people . I am now experiencing problems sleeping as well. The whole experience of coming off these meds has been lot worse than coming off zopiclone. I accept they may have been extreme because I definitely had an adverse reaction to them. SA have said it is similar to being in withdrawal which was indeed the case and hit within a few days of taking them. I was unaware this what I was experiencing so regrettably stayed on them too long.

[8b...]

I don't have any experience of lexapro but had an adverse reaction to citalopram and Sertraline and the effects have definitely not gone away. I accept this is my personal experience but to advise the effects will go away when you stop is not always the case. I stopped 11 weeks ago, the meds caused severe anxiety and OCD type symptoms, I've been in contact with a benzo help line here and they have confirmed that SSRI's can definitely trigger OCD type symptoms in some people . I am now experiencing problems sleeping as well. The whole experience of coming off these meds has been lot worse than coming off zopiclone. I accept they may have been extreme because I definitely had an adverse reaction to them. SA have said it is similar to being in withdrawal which was indeed the case and hit within a few days of taking them. I was unaware this what I was experiencing so regrettably stayed on them too long.

What dose citalopram and for how long were you on? Did you notice the adverse reaction immediately? Mine took a week before it manifested in full form.

Started on 10 mg yes noticed effects quite quickly also made my hair fall out. Because of hair problems GP advised switch to Sertraline which ramped up symptoms, so went back on citalopram. In hindsight should have stopped lot sooner, but forum I went on people were saying can take 3-6 months to fully feel any benefit from AD. I dud try lowering  dose to 5 mg but didnt help. Must say people on higher dose did seem do better but I couldn' t tolerate them. Was 6 months in total, I agree lot people do benefit  from them but also many have problems as well it's a mixed bag.

[8b...]

Sorry to hear that Leann. This aspect of ADs royally sucks as there is no doubt that they are capable of harm. I wish every person was made aware of the risks, by the doctors, before being started on ADs. Till we have better drugs -- and I have no doubt in mind that we will in the next few years -- we have to manage with these stone age tools (present ADs).

On the brighter side, you have close to a year behind you. I would guess you are at the fag end of your adverse reaction and relief is probably round the corner. Hang in there!

Thank you they do have their place think they undoubtably can help people with severe depression. But not convinced they are the right thing for people already in withdrawal from something else. Does seem they are often prescribed in those circumstances. The OCD symptoms been awful have felt I'm going mad at times. Did reassure me it's caused by SSRI's. Just hope the withdrawal not as long as zopiclone again seems everyone is different. Doctors seem clueless , making me go cold turkey from zopiclone telling me it was placebo effect started the whole thing off!

[8b...]

Blue waters I don't have much experienced AD how long does withdrawal normal last? Was told could be few months was bit depressing!

Leann, I don't have much experience about SSRI withdrawals because I don't get them (yet). I'm sure you've formed an idea about what folks at SA say so I won't repeat them. That said, yours could be withdrawal or persisting adverse reaction or both. In either case, it should have passed by now or is just about to go. I'm basing my estimate entirely by one member's tryst with paxil who had a horrible adverse reaction, much like yours. I quote from his success story below. But please don't compare yourself with him in entirety because he was also an alcoholic and also did several unsuccessful trials of ADs to overcome his initial adverse reaction. You stand a much better chance  -- he took 1.5 years to recover.

This misery won't last. Nothing is permanent and you've suffered far too long.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=74108.0

I spent 40 years drinking alcoholically. At about the 28th year of drinking, I was getting panic attacks (from the booze and some life situations). I went to the doctor. He gave me Xanax (which worked well for maybe 2 weeks). He also gave me Paxil which threw me into a tailspin of panic attacks and suicidal depression. It took a year and a half (and dozens of psych drug trials) for me to emerge from that 3-day Paxil experience. The only thing that helped me emerge was the increased alcohol intake.  Of course, I was switched to clonazepam over that time, and I took it every day while I also drank. I stayed on the clonazepam for a total of 13 years. I was told I would need it forever…and I believed it.

Thanks you are so lucky not to get them. Having looked on SA seems withdrawal can last several months for some . Don't think I'm anywhere near healed. Mind you It's only since I took the citalopram symptoms been unbearable and since stopping intensified a lot. Been really bad day today I am almost semi housebound now. Make myself go out for short walk along main road every day but that's it. Little I can do as definitely not taking any more meds!!

I'm on Lexapro. Second time around. Sometimes I get start up anxiety sometimes I don't. Lately I've been getting adverse reactions too.

I may or may not be a doctor. But I'm not Teness's doctor and have no intention of being one.

Teness's doctor suggested Lexapro, not me.

This site says citalopram (escitalopram is a purer version of it) is sedating  -  https://www.ballardpsych.com/ssri/

I've narrated my personal experience with some general info about ADs.

You have narrated yours with some general info about ADs.

Let Teness, her doctor and family decide what's best for her.

Can we please move on?

I’m happy to move on, but just to be clear lexapro is not citalopram, they are 2 different drugs. And in my experience as in alohas, both people with severe insomnia, they were activating. Also, teness didn’t come on here asking if she should go on lexapro, you brought it up. She was just seeking some support, as was Leann on her thread where u told her to stop complaining after pushing ads there too. If u don’t like to have arguments on forums, best not to start them in the first place.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [jo...]
    • [Ye...]
    • [An...]
    • [ma...]
    • [Le...]
    • [Ro...]
    • [Ap...]
    • [Es...]
    • [Al...]
    • [Ho...]
    • [Ar...]