Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

cipro

[ar...]

I have recovered from my withdrawal as of about six months ago but now I have a stubborn UTI and the doctor wants to put me on cipro. I'm just wondering if the w/d symptoms would come back, I'm really scared.  ( its GREAT to be well again!!)

I have recovered from my withdrawal as of about six months ago but now I have a stubborn UTI and the doctor wants to put me on cipro. I'm just wondering if the w/d symptoms would come back, I'm really scared.  ( its GREAT to be well again!!)

Don’t take this! It’s a flox antibiotic. Try something else!

[ca...]
Talk with your doctor.  Cipro seems to give more problems than some antibiotics, but sometimes it's the right drug for the problem.  My wife took it for a uti a few weeks ago without any issues.

Check it out and make an informed decision. I had surgery recently and refused to take Cipro. My doc prescribed clindamycin instead, and that worked out fine. Personally, I would not take a flox antibiotic especially when there are other alternatives available.

https://www.benzoinfo.com/2017/10/12/hidden-dangers-of-fluoroquinolone-antibiotics-in-the-benzodiazepine-dependent-population/

https://w-bad.org/reactions-setbacks/ 

Even people without benzo withdrawal have certain antibiotics they can't take, for certain reasons (e.g., allergy), so I think it's reasonable to ask a doctor for an alternative to something. There is an abundance of research out there about floxing.

I just got Zithromycin for a sinus infection; my provider was familiar with floxing.

The US FDA has warned doctors not to use cipro or other fluoroquinolone antibiotics - particularly for sinus infections and uncomplicated urinary tract infections - unless there is no alternative, because the risks far outweigh the benefits.

As far back as 2008, the FDA put black-box warnings on cipro and other fluoroquinolones. The list of serious and sometimes irreversible side effects from these drugs has steadily grown over the years and now includes the following:

• aortic ruptures
  • tendon ruptures and tendinitis
  • significant decreases in blood sugar
  • mental health side effects
  • disabling side effects of the tendons, muscles, joints, nerves, and central nervous system
  • peripheral neuropathy

The FDA has required that the mental health side effects be listed separately from other central nervous system side effects and be consistent across the labeling of the fluoroquinolone class. The mental health side effects include:

• disturbances in attention
  • disorientation
  • agitation
  • nervousness
  • memory impairment
  • delirium

Here are a couple links to FDA articles that you can share with your doctor:

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-updates-warnings-fluoroquinolone-antibiotics-risks-mental-health-and-low-blood-sugar-adverse

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/fda-brief/fda-brief-fda-warns-fluoroquinolone-antibiotics-can-cause-aortic-aneurysm-certain-patients

You'll find many more links if you google it.

Did your doctor try any other antibiotics for this infection before suggesting cipro? 

Why do doctors persist in prescribing this drug FIRST??? Three doctors that I've been too all said "Cipro." We in benzo wd/recovery can have bad effects from pills because of our sensitive CNS. Cipro and other ABs within that family are the worst.

Go with something else. Read the info from redevan.

• 2 weeks later...
[1f...]

Arizona,

I don't know if you took it or not as yet, I'm not a doctor, but I wouldn't take Cipro unless being in my death bed and doctors telling me that it would the only thing that would save me. And I tell you what, I would still think about it!

This antibiotic put me in the HELL that I've been fighting in the last two years!

Hope you've had other option!

Miguel