Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Any safe antibiotics for us?

[de...]

I've read about floxing. I am developing what feels like a yearly sinus infection. Are there any classes of antibiotic that don't cause severe CNS disruption for those of us in withdrawal? Sulfa, regular penicillins, etc.? A year ago (while only using kpin about 1x/week and before any withdrawal syndrome), I actually had a course of Cipro for a sinus infection. I must have escaped being "floxed" because nothing bad happened, but I am not about to risk it again.

I’ve seen people say they’ve reacted to all kinds of antibiotics (everyone is so different on this), but the main ones to avoid are the flouroquinolones.

I got a prescription filled for 5 days of zithromycin. ("Z-Pack)". I am nervous about taking it. I'm nervous about not taking it. Ugh, seriously, I have been deliberating every little thing because of withdrawal.

Pros: Infections can cause a drag on the body and can cause anxiety.

Cons: Antibiotics can cause a drag on the body and can cause anxiety.

Day 5 of Zpack is today. It's the last dose. Sinus symptoms cleared up first 2 days and are back. Today is worse than when I started. I don't know if the meds, or maybe my body trying to kick out toxins from being sick, is making things so much worse, but I feel back to square one with this sinus infection; plus, to top it off, it feels like I'm developing a UTI. I cannot keep taking multiple courses of antibiotics; that is not healthy.

What have other people here done, when they get an infection like sinus or UTI?

I've taken a Z pack several times with no ill effects. It's been an okay drug for me. Ditto amoxycillin.

My last sinus infection however, was not bacterial but viral. (The lab cultured it -- no bacteria). It came along with a miserable cough, and my doc told me I'd just have to cough until I didn't cough any more. I treated the sinus condition/infection with Tylenol for the discomfort and saline washes to help move the crud along. It went away.

The UTI? If I were you, I'd  have it cultured also. Several times I felt as though I was getting one, but again, no bacteria grew. And the creepy burny feeling went away. I drank lots of water and cranberry juice to acidify my urine. Both seemed to help.

I'm sorry you are suffering from these two conditions. Very aggravating, I know.

:smitten:

Katz

Well at first I thought I didn't have any problems with Zpack, but a couple days after finishing it, I had the worst akathisia ever, plus severe rage bordering on me asking my family to go away. I don't know if the antibiotics exacerbated things or not.