Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Gum Surgery

[Ke...]

Hello, I’d welcome any insight...I’ve been doing a very slow taper off 10mg of Diazapam after being crossed over from 0.5mg of Xanax for 14 years. I am at O.5mg of Diazapam and June 1st will be my jump day.  However, I am scheduled for gum surgery on 6/16.  I was very clear with the dentist, that under no circumstances shall I take a Benzo. I go with the assistant who tells me I will take Halcion about 1 hour prior. I asked if it was a Benzo and she said the dentist said it would be “fine.”  I had not heard of this drug and, after doing research, lo and behold, it IS a Benzo,  I called the dentist back today and he was like “oh, you can’t take ANY Benzo.” Not to be snarky but that’s like telling a person that’s lactose intolerant the store brand will be fine. They no longer use laughing gas.  I emailed my provider for assistance but wondered if anyone has experience with having surgery post taper?? Also, I’m allergic to all “Cillins,” but will have to take an antibiotic. I’m willing to postpone this surgery if necessary but, inevitably, I must have something during the procedure and an antibiotic.  I appreciate any feedback!

Good for you for looking up that drug!

My husband had gum surgery back in the day when we were dating. I went with him because they didn't want him to drive afterward. His insurance didn't pay for any sort of anesthesia. I think everything was done with localized injections.

I'm sorry that you're having to go through this. The surgery was a success and after it healed up it kept his teeth and gums in good shape for his whole adult life. Good luck to you!

Here's what our FAQ page says about this.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/benzodiazepine-information/frequently-asked-questions/#medical-procedure

You should not worry that a single dose of a benzodiazepine will cause the reemergence of withdrawal symptoms. Withdrawal is the result of changes in brain receptors which happen over time and with regular use. These changes in receptors will not occur with only a single dose of a benzodiazepine.

It's generally suggested to avoid fluoroquinolone antibiotics during withdrawal.  You can ask that a non fluoroquinolone be prescribed;  I suggest you get the name of what they will prescribe and do a google search to double check.

Take care,

Brighterday

Oooo I had gum surgery 15 years ago. No benzo, no knockout, all done under local anaesthetic. I feel for you. This was way before my benzo use.

A year and a half ago I had minor surgery to get a chest port removed. I wanted it done under local only, but they were like "nope." So they gave me midazolam (a benzo) and fentanyl (an opiod-like drug). This was in the middle of my xanax taper. It really caused no problems at all.

My oral surgeon wanted to give me Halcion when doing the dental implants but I had benzos listed on my chart as an allergy. He didn't really question this and agreed to just use local. Additionally, I requested no epinephrine. I have been sensitive to this even before benzos, strong heart palps and migraines, so the surgeon just used carbocaine.

The procedure isn't a lot of fun but I really didn't feel anything and since I don't have dental anxiety the use of a benzo is really not necessary.

I also had to take antibiotics but since I am allergic to several I was given the zpack, which is my go to antibiotic when I really need one.

Good luck,

pianogirl  :smitten:

Thank you all for the feedback and taking the time to do so.  Good to know about the one dose of a Benzo not causing problems.  I was fearful about needing to have surgery some day and then ignoring my request not to us a Benzo. I must stop living in fear. I’m my own worst enemy.

I also like the idea of reporting you’re allergic to Benzos...avoids any questions.