Important Survey - Please Participate ×

NAD+ Infusions for Benzodiazepine PAWS [A Journal]

[JL...]

Thank you for sharing.  That's marvelous for you that you found someone doing this, especially in the midst of Covid-19.

I did visit the link provided.  From what I'm reading, this is for active withdrawal, then...not PAWS, is this correct? 

I'm a little over a year finished & doing horribly; mostly physically, but a little anxiety, too, which I'd never had until tolerance a couple of years before I began solo slow taper of 10 months w/my physical sxs escalating around 4 months in.  I was prescribed it for pain & it worked, affording me quality of life, until it didn't & it's been, well, a severely diminished, physically deteriorated life ever since. 

Thank you for sharing.  That's marvelous for you that you found someone doing this, especially in the midst of Covid-19.

I did visit the link provided.  From what I'm reading, this is for active withdrawal, then...not PAWS, is this correct? 

I'm a little over a year finished & doing horribly; mostly physically, but a little anxiety, too, which I'd never had until tolerance a couple of years before I began solo slow taper of 10 months w/my physical sxs escalating around 4 months in.  I was prescribed it for pain & it worked, affording me quality of life, until it didn't & it's been, well, a severely diminished, physically deteriorated life ever since.

I had a few infusions about two months after my cold turkey. You can get NAD at any time. Lots of people use it for anti-aging and rejuvenation purposes.

Few questions:

What did you do about work? Did you take the time off? I'm already working remote (due to covid), so I'm wondering if I could just bring my computer and work during my sessions. Do you think you were in a state of mind where you could have done, oh say, some light web design while you were there? Maybe hop on a phone call or two throughout the day?

My clinic says based on my labs they'll create a custom pre/post treatment for IVs to purify before the NAD, and then other supplemental IVs after to take care of other underlying issues or deficiencies. Did yours do anything like that? Do you think that would be necessary? I'm really worried to do any of the supplement IVs since our systems are so fragile in benzo WD.

So I lucked out with my work. I'm an assistant golf pro and my boss has been incredibly accommodating. He said to take as much time as I need, come back whenever I can and just focus on healing. I came to him telling him I was in for the long haul and that I wanted to work with him until I can get my PGA certification as well. I think he took that to heart and is allowing me to play the long-game with him and use right now to heal.

As far as work goes, as long as you're experience is like mine, you can absolutely do some light work on the computer. The first day or two maybe be a bit much, but I think once you settle into it you'll be good to go. The feeling can be fairly intense, but it's not painful or anything. If you have even 20% of the benefits I had with mine then I think you'll be good to go.

So I'm not entirely sure what you mean when you say "purify", but I had a custom treatment plan of sorts as well. He picked the supplements that he thought would suit me the best, had me on them for about a week while I got ready to jump, then I went in for 10 sessions. I'm planning on going back around June 4th to June 7th for at least another couple sessions, as that's when I'll have the last bit of the benzos leaving my system.

This last bit is entirely my opinion and you should do only what you feel comfortable with. I hear your worry about how fragile our systems are, and you're absolutely right to be worried. I'd be far more concerned if you weren't worried. I think there are two ways that I'd approach my concerns if I were in your position; one is to ask as many questions to the clinic as humanly possible and the other is to be forthright about what I was and wasn't comfortable with and have them work with me on my terms.

For stuff like this I need to know that the doctors and other people involved have experience with what I'm dealing with. If I feel a strong doubt towards the treatment and mistrusting of the supplements I think it'd a big toll on me... but I think (for me) I'm at a point where it's like... what's the worst that can happen? I'm not reinstating my benzos so I don't think I could really backtrack on my progress I've made. I might feel like shit while I take them but at least I'd be under medical supervision - and that's worst case scenario. Best case scenario is that in taking what the doctor recommends and doing the treatment per their plan for you that you start to feel a lot better. For me, that's a chance I'm definitely willing to take at this point.

The one thing I can't really comment on is the "other underlying deficiencies" bit. Are they doing testing to see what you're deficient in? I think that could be a really positive thing, but I think I would just make sure you're comfortable with all of it. If you're not I think it's ok to say "let's just start with one thing and see how it goes from there". I'm always a proponent of adding just one thing at a time so that you can more easily isolate and identify what's causing what.

So my understanding of how NAD+ functions in the body is about as laymen as it gets, but from my limited understanding the body is working in a sort of healing overdrive. NAD+ is a metabolic cofactor enzyme and it's job in the body is to assist in things like breaking down food into energy and repairing cells. The body relies on these enzymes to more efficiently do it's job, so by elevating the levels of the enzyme you're allowing the body to work it's hardest at breaking down, rebuilding and repairing. So it's not necessarily just for acute, it's also for PAWS or really any other thing that your body needs to heal. My doctor believes that at some point it will be standard in a lot of saline drips in the near future because of it being a natural way of bringing the bodies ability to heal up.

To be honest it all sounds kind of like nonsense to me still, and sounds a bit like someone is trying to sell me some cure-all. I can't really shake that thought either... but I'm hoping that these results continue and in a couple months time I can say for sure that it wasn't just a big waste of money.

Also I definitely encourage you to do more research on your own and correct me if I'm wrong on any of that stuff, because I very well could be. I'll come back in a couple days with some more helpful websites or articles on how NAD functions in the body and how it's beneficial for repairing cells.

So I lucked out with my work. I'm an assistant golf pro and my boss has been incredibly accommodating. He said to take as much time as I need, come back whenever I can and just focus on healing. I came to him telling him I was in for the long haul and that I wanted to work with him until I can get my PGA certification as well. I think he took that to heart and is allowing me to play the long-game with him and use right now to heal.

As far as work goes, as long as you're experience is like mine, you can absolutely do some light work on the computer. The first day or two maybe be a bit much, but I think once you settle into it you'll be good to go. The feeling can be fairly intense, but it's not painful or anything. If you have even 20% of the benefits I had with mine then I think you'll be good to go.

So I'm not entirely sure what you mean when you say "purify", but I had a custom treatment plan of sorts as well. He picked the supplements that he thought would suit me the best, had me on them for about a week while I got ready to jump, then I went in for 10 sessions. I'm planning on going back around June 4th to June 7th for at least another couple sessions, as that's when I'll have the last bit of the benzos leaving my system.

This last bit is entirely my opinion and you should do only what you feel comfortable with. I hear your worry about how fragile our systems are, and you're absolutely right to be worried. I'd be far more concerned if you weren't worried. I think there are two ways that I'd approach my concerns if I were in your position; one is to ask as many questions to the clinic as humanly possible and the other is to be forthright about what I was and wasn't comfortable with and have them work with me on my terms.

For stuff like this I need to know that the doctors and other people involved have experience with what I'm dealing with. If I feel a strong doubt towards the treatment and mistrusting of the supplements I think it'd a big toll on me... but I think (for me) I'm at a point where it's like... what's the worst that can happen? I'm not reinstating my benzos so I don't think I could really backtrack on my progress I've made. I might feel like shit while I take them but at least I'd be under medical supervision - and that's worst case scenario. Best case scenario is that in taking what the doctor recommends and doing the treatment per their plan for you that you start to feel a lot better. For me, that's a chance I'm definitely willing to take at this point.

The one thing I can't really comment on is the "other underlying deficiencies" bit. Are they doing testing to see what you're deficient in? I think that could be a really positive thing, but I think I would just make sure you're comfortable with all of it. If you're not I think it's ok to say "let's just start with one thing and see how it goes from there". I'm always a proponent of adding just one thing at a time so that you can more easily isolate and identify what's causing what.

How are things going?

I have a consultation tomorrow with the NAD clinic in my town. I am eager to get started. I'm pretty sure I'm doing it, as I think it is the only way I can ever rid myself of this poison. I think I have tapered as low as I can possibly go.

I'm not quite sure what he means by purify either. He just said there are some IVs he gives before starting the NAD that will purify your system and get it more ready to respond to the NAD. He also said that most people's lymph system is like a "swamp", and the purification gets it running like a "river" so it's better equipped to flush out the toxins. It all kind of sounds pretty phony boloney to me, but who knows?

Yes, he had me do some labs to see what my deficiencies are and if there are any other underlying issues. I guess we'll be talking about my results tomorrow. I think you're right, I'm going to hear him out, and go all-in on what he recommends I do. I believe there are some health issues that I haven't ever gotten to the bottom of that led me to benzos in the first place, and perhaps this can take care of all of that as well.

I am excited, yet terrified to get started.

How are things going?

I have a consultation tomorrow with the NAD clinic in my town. I am eager to get started. I'm pretty sure I'm doing it, as I think it is the only way I can ever rid myself of this poison. I think I have tapered as low as I can possibly go.

I'm not quite sure what he means by purify either. He just said there are some IVs he gives before starting the NAD that will purify your system and get it more ready to respond to the NAD. He also said that most people's lymph system is like a "swamp", and the purification gets it running like a "river" so it's better equipped to flush out the toxins. It all kind of sounds pretty phony boloney to me, but who knows?

Yes, he had me do some labs to see what my deficiencies are and if there are any other underlying issues. I guess we'll be talking about my results tomorrow. I think you're right, I'm going to hear him out, and go all-in on what he recommends I do. I believe there are some health issues that I haven't ever gotten to the bottom of that led me to benzos in the first place, and perhaps this can take care of all of that as well.

I am excited, yet terrified to get started.

Hi!

Sorry I've been absent for a week or so. Things are going fairly well. I'm definitely having some minor symptoms, the worst of which is sleep. I cannot sleep for the life of me. I'm maxing out at six hours on a good night, about three on a bad night. It is manageable though. I've only had two panic attacks, my base anxiety level is incredibly low and my physical and cognitive symptoms are limited to some brain fog (likely from the major lack of sleep), upset stomach, muscle tightness and some jaw clenching. None of which are bad enough that I can't manage.

I'm eager to hear how your consultation went and what your plan is. I'm still not at a place where I want to 100% recommend NAD to everyone because I'm still not at the two month mark, but I'm very excited to hear that you're moving forward with it. It would be awesome if you did a sort of similar journal! I think the more information we can all put out there the more people we can hopefully help. At worst we waste some of our own money to save other people money. At best we can hopefully push people towards a solution to their suffering.

Looking forward to hearing back from you. I hope all is well.

Hi!

Sorry I've been absent for a week or so. Things are going fairly well. I'm definitely having some minor symptoms, the worst of which is sleep. I cannot sleep for the life of me. I'm maxing out at six hours on a good night, about three on a bad night. It is manageable though. I've only had two panic attacks, my base anxiety level is incredibly low and my physical and cognitive symptoms are limited to some brain fog (likely from the major lack of sleep), upset stomach, muscle tightness and some jaw clenching. None of which are bad enough that I can't manage.

I'm eager to hear how your consultation went and what your plan is. I'm still not at a place where I want to 100% recommend NAD to everyone because I'm still not at the two month mark, but I'm very excited to hear that you're moving forward with it. It would be awesome if you did a sort of similar journal! I think the more information we can all put out there the more people we can hopefully help. At worst we waste some of our own money to save other people money. At best we can hopefully push people towards a solution to their suffering.

Looking forward to hearing back from you. I hope all is well.

Thanks for the update! Sounds to me like you're doing quite well considering your history with the meds and such. Very cool.

My consultation was interesting. So the clinic is a full-service holistic health center with a large variety of different treatments, and the doc is very thorough. Based on my lab work and what he saw in my blood under a microscope, he told me that my liver wasn't functioning well enough for NAD to help me. This actually makes like 100x more sense than any other explanation I've heard or read about what's going on with me... he said because my liver isn't functioning optimally, and also because I lack a gallbladder, the residue and the toxins from my meds are not being flushed out, and getting left behind and are being absorbed by my cells. He said that's likely why I'm feeling so many side effects and feeling so awful. That would definitely explain why it's always felt like every new med seems to make me sicker very soon after starting them. He said we need to work on detoxifying my cells before I can do NAD, and that it's very likely I may feel well enough to finish my taper on my own and may not even need NAD in the end.

So that day they shot me up with a few CC's of Glutathione which is supposed to help the liver process toxins better. I've also started taking a binding supplement that has deactivated charcoal, clay and a few other things in it as well as some NAC which supposedly helps the liver function better too. Also taking some enzymes to help with digestion. We also saw bacteria in my blood (well, he pointed them out to me). They looked like little pill shaped creatures, and I guess I just have to take his word on that one. But he said that could definitely contribute to anxiety and depression. So I started ozone therapy this morning, and will go in for another session on Thursday. Ozone kills bacteria, mold and a bunch of other gunk I guess. I'll go back in next week to look at my blood again to see if it did the trick.

I hesitate to even type this out because I really don't want to jinx it, but ever since I started taking the charcoal binder (and the other stuff he gave me) I have been feeling really good. Almost normal even. We will see, if this continues, I'll feel more than comfortable enough to start tapering again soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know of glutathione and NAC can chelate mercury from dental amalgams.

Can I ask what the binding supplement you take is called?

GI doc is going to check my pancreatic enzymes as nit absorbing fat properly.

Hi all!

I'm sorry I haven't gotten back on lately for updates. Life has been a little hectic... but in the best way possible. As far as I can tell I'm 95% healed. I still have these mini waves that are downright unpleasant, but to compare them to any of the waves I experienced in the past... well I feel stupid even calling them waves.

I do have panic still, and I still take blood pressure medication which is pretty crummy given that I'm 25, in shape, sober and in great health. I also quit nicotine three weeks ago after eight years of use, but the blood pressure hasn't gone down unfortunately. It went up the first time I really committed to getting off three years ago and never went back down even after reinstating the last time.

Just for ease I'll write some things that are going well and things that aren't to make it concise. I will try to identify things that are back to "normal", but I have to point out that I haven't felt "normal" in almost ten years, so it may be a little difficult.

Things that have improved or are going well:

- I am able to communicate at 90% of my normal (pre-benzo... so 10 years ago) threshhold. I'm able to hold full conversations with nearly anyone without breaking down, choking up, sweating, racing thoughts, etc.

- My thoughts have a normal flow to them. I'm not getting those intrusive thoughts non-stop... they do happen now and again but I think that's just part of life.

- If I've slept a decent amount (which only happens about 30% of the time), I wake up feeling refreshed and looking forward to the day.

- I don't have as severe or as many irrational fears about the things I used to, like driving the opposite direction of a hospital or my phone being on low battery, or showering when people aren't home. I do still have anxious thoughts but they don't determine my day anymore (for the most part).

- I'm able to work again. I'm an assistant golf pro at a local golf course, so the work isn't too intensive and the hours are short. The course is only a mile from my house and I'm only working about 20 hours a week right now, but I have no issues aside from the occasional blood pressure spike or sleepless night turned tired day at work.

- Now the big stuff - I don't have physical symptoms of withdrawal. At all. Ever. The closest thing I have is heart palpitations, chest tightness, muscle rigidity and a little twitchiness here and there, but none of those things happen when I get a good night's sleep and I've been taking care of my body. I still have some sensitivity to things here and there that I don't think is quite normal, but it's very manageable and easy to skirt around or ignore.

Things that are problematic or clearly still healing:

- My sleep. My sleep has really been suffering lately. I'm averaging about 4.5 a night, which for me is just not enough. Twice a week I'll get a good night's sleep, but that's only after hours and hours of laying in bed. My brain just doesn't turn off on its own yet. I don't think it's a horrible thing, but it is a pain. I'm unwilling to take anything for sleep, so that may be part of it. I'm just waiting until my brain adjusts on its own. I took something to fall asleep every night for the last 10-12 years, so it may just be that my body isn't used to going to sleep naturally.

- Muscle tightness and lethargy are still a concern. I have a lot of chest pain and headaches related to my muscle tightness, and it's difficult to want to be too active because I'm always feeling pretty sluggish. I think this probably has more to do with my lack of sleep than anything, but it's definitely a little bothersome. I still workout and do yoga, but I definitely remember having more energy, so I'm hoping this is just one of a few things that's taking it's time healing and will soon be back to normal.

- I'm now certifiably terrified of any and all substances. This could also be considered a good thing by some, but I will never take anything again that could potentially trigger any of this in me. I'm so scared of going back to where I was that I think I'll just never go back to consuming any drugs, alcohol, prescriptions or overusing supplements.

All in all, I'm absolutely astonished at the success I've had from this treatment. I'm a human again, through and through. There are a few bits and bobs that are lingering, but they'll work themselves out. I'm going in for my last four treatments (19 total over the course of 10 weeks) in 10 days or so. Maybe by then I'll be 100% myself again.

Finally I can say this without reservations - this treatment works. I fully support anyone finding a place to do IV NAD+ therapy. This saved my life. Three months ago when I was looking online for "alternative treatments" for benzo withdrawal, I was ready to kill myself. I had almost made it through withdrawal once before, but two years into the withdrawal I caved. I had 18 or 19 months benzo free but I was still suffering so badly, so I turned back to benzos. After six months of taking them, it dawned on me that I had just ruined my brain all over again and I would be stuck in this for another 3-5 years. Surely I had kindled. Surely I couldn't do this all again. There was really truly no end in sight. This treatment has made it so I don't even think about all of that. I'm at 8 weeks benzo free and I don't have any significant withdrawal symptoms whatsoever.

I really truly believe that this can help this community with all of my heart. I've been a part of this community for two or three years, but I've been a lurker here for far longer. I've read so many peoples stories just like mine and it's heartbreaking to think that this treatment isn't more spoken about or readily available. It really truly saved my life. For all the apprehension and nerves I had going into this, and all the times I really believed that it was too good to be true, I now believe with all of my heart that NAD can do this for others too.

I'll keep you guys updated, especially if anything makes a turn for the worse or if there's any significant changes. Also feel free to message me personally or leave any more questions if you have any. I'll be better about coming here and giving updates and responding. It was inconsiderate of me to not before. Now that I'm feeling good I try not to think back to the bad times, but I forget how much I needed posts that had promising news. If I get any more positive news or anything to report I'll be sure to come right back and do so.

Does anyone know of glutathione and NAC can chelate mercury from dental amalgams.

Can I ask what the binding supplement you take is called?

GI doc is going to check my pancreatic enzymes as nit absorbing fat properly.

When I was doing a bunch of digging and research on glutathione, I did find one article claiming that glutathione could stir up mercury and cause poisoning. I asked the dr at the clinic about it, and he claimed it couldn't happen. He said that every once in a while people have some sort of bad reaction to the sulfur in glutathione, but that they have some other stuff ready to go that will counteract the reaction in case that happens. The binding supplement I'm taking is Binder Blend, by ReturnHealthy.

J, so good to see that update. I'm so pumped for you! It sounds like you have a beautiful life to come back to, and that your future is bright.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to update real quick.

I didn't go back in for my last four sessions because of some covid issues, so I'll be going in for those sometime after the 22nd of July. I had some internal vibrations today. They were minor and only lasted for an hour or so, but they woke me up this morning. I used to have them in my neck and spine last time, but this time it was centered in my chest and spreading to my shoulders and jaw. I suspect I'll have some other symptoms here and there - there's no way I'm 100% better after NAD anyway. But 9 weeks out and still pretty symptomless, so still high hopes that it will continue.

Hope you're all well,

J

Do you feel that NAD+ only works for people still in their taper or just jumping off?

I'm 29 months off and feel 80% healed, I'm considering NAD+ to help accelerate my final 20% of healing and to help with my remaining symptoms of anxiety and brain fog. Do you think it will help?

oh and thanks for journaling and sharing your experience.

• 4 weeks later...
I am planning to go into NAD therapy soon. Still doing okay? Really appreciated this thread -- you seemed to have the same attitude i did going in, good to relate

• 7 months later...