Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Years ago no one took this type of medication

[Th...]

I think I am a little older than most people here?  I am 67 and I remember in the late 1950's, early 1960's, I don't think I knew anyone who took any kind of tranquilizer or a/d.  Everyone managed to get through everything without medication.  I don't know how this has changed over the years as most people I know now are on one of these types of medicines.

Was everything really that less stressful then or did people have a different way of handling it?

I don't know the answer however everyone was relaxed more in those days.

Anyone have an idea why that was?

Thanks.

Gail    "This too shall pass"

A simpler time, is that what we long for?  Yes, these drugs weren't pushed, advertised or even sought by most people at that time.  Marketing has really gone off the deep end and so has our willingness to suffer the slightest bit of unhappiness, anxiety or stress.  I do remember reading the Valley of the Dolls written in 1966 when I was a young girl, so there were pills even then.

I think you said that well....a simpler time....

I also read "Valley of the Dolls" and if I remember correctly, that was the exception and not the norm....I think I remember not understanding how those people could take all those medications?  Now I think more people take medications than don't?

Gail    "This too shall pass"

• 2 weeks later...
Werent people usually just slapped on the head and told to suck it up? Also no one really listened to women, and no one had the internet so you couldnt really know how many people in the actualy population actually suffered. On the other hand, I believe people were tougher, and found out that yea, they had depression and anxiety, but for most people it resolved itself. I think drugs perpetuate the disease in a lot of cases which leads people to believe they need the medication for life. I know some people actually have genetics that predispose them to mental disorders and they need medications. But for a lot of us, I believe that marketing as led us to feel that something is seriously wrong with us if we have anxiety or become depressed, and not just a state of being that will change. These medications are useful for people who actually NEED it, but its so available that people who don't really need it are taking it, and think they need to. Thus an epidemic of people on prescriptions has been created. Whew...thats my rant for the day haha